Can you use small rifle primers for small pistol calibers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Short answer...no
    Will it work? Maybe. Should you do it? No. Most rifle primers are going to be harder and won't detonate reliably in a pistol. I don't see any danger in it, MAYBE slightly higher pressures.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Can you? Sure. Should you? Probably not.
    SR primers usually have a harder cup, and they might be a little hotter. So they might not go off the first strike and the pressure might be higher

Pistol boy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Griffith
    Ok better safe than sorry. I knew there had to be a difference but they look the same. I had some small rifle and pistol left over and put them in different zip lock bags. But can't tell the difference and didn't mark the bags. I'll just toss them it's not much in each bag 30-40. Thanks for the help guys. P.s. I'll mark the bags next time.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Do NOT do This.....

"I had some small rifle and pistol left over and put them in different zip lock bags."

^^^This is a BAD thing to do..
    Primers are packaged the way they are for a reason....Most hand loaders know that the primer can be the MOST dangerous part of reloading a cartridge. They are subject to detonation / explosion if miss handled. Do NOT place primers in ANYTHING other than the primer boxes that they come in for storage. To do so is an UNSAFE habit!!

To answer the question, it is NOT recommended , but yes, in SOME Small Pistol loadings, Small Rifle primers can be used.
    It is true that you will need a STRONG strike to them, and some pistols will "Light Strike", and not fire them.

Some High Pressure loads that I have used Small Rifle primers in are: .40 S&W, .357 Magnum, and Small Primer case 10MM.

Be sure to start out at least 10% under Max specs. (Except with H-110/W-W-296 Powder)

Actually Remington 6 1/2 Small Rifle primers are GREAT for the above loads...Bill.

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I have loaded thousands of small rifle primers into 40 without issue. In 2011 or 1911 guns it is not a problem as they deal with the harder cup without issue. Striker fired guns in 9mm or 380 might not get it to fire. No issue of over pressure or anything dangerous about it.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I got a great deal on some Remington small rifle primers for 22 Hornet. Loaded and shot 2000 of them so far out of my 9mm Glock. Will be looking for more. Ammo comes out to be 3.00 per box. That makes for some cheap shooting.

Middle of the road Titegroup load with plated projectile is what I settled on.

I know lots of old guys used them in 357 and 38 loads as well.

Pistol boy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Griffith
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...illon-explosion-wear-your-safety-glasses.html

^^^^ Took me awhile to find, but this will tell you something about safety with primers..

And--This was done by a Professional Handloader...Bill.

I really appreciate you looking this up for me bill. Its really an eye opener. And thanks for all the advice you guys it means a lot to me. I am fairly new to reloading 1 1/2years. I think I'm going to pass on the rifle primers in pistols even though it's possible. I really like the load I make for the 9mm and don't want to change anything. I guess it was the cheap a.. in me not wanting to throw them away:D. Thank you guys again. Will

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I really appreciate you looking this up for me bill. Its really an eye opener. And thanks for all the advice you guys it means a lot to me. I am fairly new to reloading 1 1/2years. I think I'm going to pass on the rifle primers in pistols even though it's possible. I really like the load I make for the 9mm and don't want to change anything. I guess it was the cheap a.. in me not wanting to throw them away:D. Thank you guys again. Will

Good choice Will..Heck, if it amounts to 100 primers or less, the most that you will be out is $3.00-$4.00---Not worth the worry in my opinion...Bill.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I have loaded thousands of small rifle primers into 40 without issue. In 2011 or 1911 guns it is not a problem as they deal with the harder cup without issue. Striker fired guns in 9mm or 380 might not get it to fire. No issue of over pressure or anything dangerous about it.

that pretty much covers it.
    SRP is all my open gun has ever seen... about 60k of them.

I've heard of issues of SRP not sealing with the brass well in lower pressure rounds leading to some erosion of the breech face, but I think that's pretty rare and would take a LOT of rounds...

-rvb

Top Bottom