• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    Found these in a box of Guns I inherited. Is this collectable? I have 12 rounds. Headstamp is R-P
    thanks for any info you can pass along
    I know these can not be fired in the 32 s&w revolver they came with.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Found these in a box of Guns I inherited. Is this collectable? I have 12 rounds. Headstamp is R-P
    thanks for any info you can pass along
    I know these can not be fired in the 32 s&w revolver they came with.

The R-P headstamp would indicate post WWII production, not collectable, but good for shooting for guys like me who have old guns chambered for it. It's a hard round to find.

You are exactly correct that they should not be fired in 32 S&W chambered guns. Interesting side note is that an old fellow brought me some fired and swelled up 32 short colt cases and said he thought something was wrong with his old revolver...I ended up explaining the differences between .32 short colt and .32 S&W which got him squared away. He was relieved that his gun didn't have a problem and learned that not all 32 ammo is the same! Good thing he didn't put some .32 ACP in his old break top revolver as that would be way too hot...they fit since the cylinders on the old guns are bored straight through and 32 ACP has a semi rim...although the star extractor doesn't work very well with them. I know this from firing some European short range blue plastic bullet 32 ACP in one of my old .32 S&W break top revolvers - good for indoor shooting, but you still need ear plugs as they are very loud. If you've seen the blue plastic short range .308, the 32 ACPs are made the same way.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The R-P headstamp would indicate post WWII production, not collectable, but good for shooting for guys like me who have old guns chambered for it. It's a hard round to find.

You are exactly correct that they should not be fired in 32 S&W chambered guns. Interesting side note is that an old fellow brought me some fired and swelled up 32 short colt cases and said he thought something was wrong with his old revolver...I ended up explaining the differences between .32 short colt and .32 S&W which got him squared away. He was relieved that his gun didn't have a problem and learned that not all 32 ammo is the same! Good thing he didn't put some .32 ACP in his old break top revolver as that would be way too hot...they fit since the cylinders on the old guns are bored straight through and 32 ACP has a semi rim...although the star extractor doesn't work very well with them. I know this from firing some European short range blue plastic bullet 32 ACP in one of my old .32 S&W break top revolvers - good for indoor shooting, but you still need ear plugs as they are very loud. If you've seen the blue plastic short range .308, the 32 ACPs are made the same way.

So how'd you come up with the handle ammomanaaron???:)

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    What is the difference between 32 S&W and 32 S&W LONG?

QUOTE=AmmoManAaron;7106565]The R-P headstamp would indicate post WWII production, not collectable, but good for shooting for guys like me who have old guns chambered for it. It's a hard round to find.

You are exactly correct that they should not be fired in 32 S&W chambered guns. Interesting side note is that an old fellow brought me some fired and swelled up 32 short colt cases and said he thought something was wrong with his old revolver...I ended up explaining the differences between .32 short colt and .32 S&W which got him squared away. He was relieved that his gun didn't have a problem and learned that not all 32 ammo is the same! Good thing he didn't put some .32 ACP in his old break top revolver as that would be way too hot...they fit since the cylinders on the old guns are bored straight through and 32 ACP has a semi rim...although the star extractor doesn't work very well with them. I know this from firing some European short range blue plastic bullet 32 ACP in one of my old .32 S&W break top revolvers - good for indoor shooting, but you still need ear plugs as they are very loud. If you've seen the blue plastic short range .308, the 32 ACPs are made the same way.[/QUOTE]

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Got a few boxes of WW 32 Long Colt in with some other stuff at an auction. It's smaller diameter that 32 SW long/32 Colt Police.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    What is the difference between 32 S&W and 32 S&W LONG?

Basically it's the same difference as .38 Special and .357 Magnum - case length, powder charge, and bullet weight. Diameter of bullet is the same. Dimensions of the cases are the same except for length.

Examples:
    Remington .32 S&W - 88 grain LRN at 680 fps
    Remington .32 S&W Long - 98 grain LRN at 705 fps

Magtech .32 S&W - 85 grain LRN at 705 fps
    Magtech .32 S&W Long - 98 grain LRN at 705 fps
    Magtech .32 S&W Long - 98 grain wadcutter 741 fps

Edited to add: The wadcutter load is rarely seen in the U.S., but is used in some European semi-auto target pistols. The LRN loads are too long and won't fit in the magazine, plus they don't cut the nice clean holes in the paper target.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom