• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I seem to recall reading accounts of some members down-loading the .30-06 to take things like rabbits and raccoons.
    Would anyone care to share their experiences?
    Not real sure why I'd like to do this, other than to learn the limits of the cartridge.

I have a new bolt gun in .30-06.
    I have not loaded any bottle-neck cartridges yet. I've loaded a couple thousand straight-walled calibers with great success.

I do have a decent supply of Trail Boss.
    Would this be acceptable for low-power .30-06?

Thanks for any help.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Cast Boolits should have a variety of info, I've only done this with straight wall stuff and 30-40.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Seems like prime candidates for the squirrel gun (.22) IMHO.

Doesn't have quite the same amount of labor involved, but should be much easier to carry around.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    If you go through some of the loading manuals, they have a separate category for very lightweight jacketed bullets (either 100 or 110 grains) with thin jackets and modest charges of handgun/shotgun powders, such as Unique, Red Dot, etc.
    They also have data using cast bullets loaded at modest levels.
    I haven't tried hunting small critters with my own .30-06 so loaded, but I experimented a bit with plinking using the CCI 100 grain economy bullet.
    Even at the relatively modest levels listed, I'm unsure how much damage these loads would do to anything intended to be eaten, but the loads should prove pretty decisive for moderate range (100 yards or less) varmint shooting.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Head over to Castboolits.com and search on "Ed Harris The Load"
    Much good stuff on reduced loads.

Trail boss will work, do a search for how to determine starting loads.
    And if memory serves, the Lyman Cast manual has some reduced loads also.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I don't know about loading it down far enough that it's really a good choice for edible small game, but any published MAX load of H4895 can be multiplied by 60% to give you the starting charge for a reduced load. Do this with a light-for-caliber bullet (I favor the 125gr Ballistic Tip) and you've got a light recoil load that can be adjusted for whatever purpose you have in mind. They are fun to shoot, easy on the shoulder and they won't heat up a barrel as quickly. I create reduced loads in 243, '06 and 308 Winchester, using that method.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Remington used to offer accelerator bullets in .30 caliber offerings. They worked great in a 30/30! Accurate and way flatter shooting than a 110 gr fmj at pistol velocities.

I found these sabots but have not tried them.

Accelerator Type Sabots for .30 Caliber Cartridges (100)

Like mentioned above, the 125 grain varmint bullets are a good choice. I ran Speer 125 TNT varmint bullets in a M1a Supermatch for 200 yard matches, and at that short range they grouped as well as the standard 168 gr match bullet load. These used standard middle range rifle powder like H4895, Varget, 3031, BLC2, etc. The Speer 125 TNT bullets are available in a 500 pack to save a few bucks.

Last edited:

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Several years ago, I thought shooting reduced loads would allow me to practice more for less $$. The change in trajectory with reduced loads was enormous, requiring all new sight settings, and I lost much of the savings I thought I would gain. Not being critical, just something to keep in mind.

Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    I don't know about loading it down far enough that it's really a good choice for edible small game, but any published MAX load of H4895 can be multiplied by 60% to give you the starting charge for a reduced load. Do this with a light-for-caliber bullet (I favor the 125gr Ballistic Tip) and you've got a light recoil load that can be adjusted for whatever purpose you have in mind. They are fun to shoot, easy on the shoulder and they won't heat up a barrel as quickly. I create reduced loads in 243, '06 and 308 Winchester, using that method.

And if you cannot find data for the bullet you are looking at using, call Hodgdon. They are very helpful in getting you safe data if it is not published on their website.

Top Bottom