• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've been carrying the same ammo for a year, and when I went to clean the gun, the bullet had sunk into the case. I've not seen the black belts for sale locally, wondering if this is the reason.

Attachments

• IMG_20170530_220625755.jpg
      IMG_20170530_220625755.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 47

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Have you been running the same round in the mag and clearing the gun on a regular basis?
    I've had a few shells do that. It happens from continually hitting the feed ramp and eventually pushing the bullet back into the case.
    I rotate the round every time I empty the chamber.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've been carrying the same ammo for a year...

DON'T DO THAT!
    You really need to clean your gun more often, but for God's sake man, SHOOT it once n a while!

Seriously, I'm not sure but the set-back could be the result of continually chambering the same round, time and time again.
    The impact of the bullet nose repeatedly smacking the feed ramp can cause just this kind of thing.

DO NOT FIRE THOSE SET-BACK ROUNDS!
    You may or may not experience severe overpressures, which may or may not be catastrophic.

Pin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I rotate rounds when I think about it, but normally it's chambered. I have 3 mags I rotate around as well all running the same ammo. The round that's pushed back has probably been chambered 5 times.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I rotate rounds when I think about it, but normally it's chambered. I have 3 mags I rotate around as well all running the same ammo. The round that's pushed back has probably been chambered 5 times.

Most handgun ammo, unless it's a magnum, don't have a very strong crimp.
    It's not a good idea to re-chamber any one round too many times.

One more thing to think about.
    In what conditions do you carry?

This is why I ask.
    Many moons ago, when I first began carrying, I had a little Kel-Tec .32acp. I loved that little pea shooter.
    I carried it daily, in an inside the waistband "Uncle Mike's" nylon holster while working construction.
    I learned about "set-back" on that pistol.

One day I decided it had been too long since it was last cleaned, so here goes.
    After clearing the mag and the chamber I tore it down and scrubbed it squeaky clean. You could have eaten off of it.

Re-assembled, but not yet reloaded, I did the prerequisite function test.
    Bad news! When I pulled the trigger NOTHING happened!
    The hammer did not come back. The trigger was dead.

Confused, I began to look closer and found the problem.
    The mainspring (hammer) on the Kel-Tec is mounted to a small pin which is exposed but recessed into the butt of the gun.
    The end coil on the mainspring had corroded in two, which left the hammer inactive.

After carrying that long without shooting, things had gone wrong that I just happened to discover when there was no emergency.
    Ammunition can go bad as well, though modern ammunition is pretty stable.
    Ammunition doesn't like drastic temperature or humidity changes.
    Temperature extremes can have a detrimental affect on ammunition, but everyday sweat can downright destroy it.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Most handgun ammo, unless it's a magnum, don't have a very strong crimp.
    It's not a good idea to re-chamber any one round too many times.

One more thing to think about.
    In what conditions do you carry?

This is why I ask.
    Many moons ago, when I first began carrying, I had a little Kel-Tec .32acp. I loved that little pea shooter.
    I carried it daily, in an inside the waistband "Uncle Mike's" nylon holster while working construction.
    I learned about "set-back" on that pistol.

One day I decided it had been too long since it was last cleaned, so here goes.
    After clearing the mag and the chamber I tore it down and scrubbed it squeaky clean. You could have eaten off of it.

Re-assembled, but not yet reloaded, I did the prerequisite function test.
    Bad news! When I pulled the trigger NOTHING happened!
    The hammer did not come back. The trigger was dead.

Confused, I began to look closer and found the problem.
    The mainspring (hammer) on the Kel-Tec is mounted to a small pin which is exposed but recessed into the butt of the gun.
    The end coil on the mainspring had corroded in two, which left the hammer inactive.

After carrying that long without shooting, things had gone wrong that I just happened to discover when there was no emergency.
    Ammunition can go bad as well, though modern ammunition is pretty stable.
    Ammunition doesn't like drastic temperature or humidity changes.
    Temperature extremes can have a detrimental affect on ammunition, but everyday sweat can downright destroy it.

That is a common failing with the KelTecs. Open frame lets a lot of moisture in and the springs corrode and break. I've had that happen on two of mine. It happened virtually at the same time to both so I didn't have time to correct the issue at first.
    I got new springs from KelTec and no more spring issues.
    You MUST keep your weapons clean if you expect them to work when needed.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I've always wondered why people actually load the round back into the mag just to chamber it again and again... you know you can drop the bullet into the chamber and then drop the slide, right?

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Yeah, death to extractors. On many guns this is a no no.

Is there any actual proof to this? Or is it like the whole, "Don't shoot steel cased ammo because it will ruin your extractor!" old wives tale? Seriously wondering because I can't see how it's mechanically any different than chambering a round from the magazine other than it's just having to go over the base of the round, which is softer than the steel used to make the extractor and I've never heard of it or seen it before... also, just a 1911 thing?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Is there any actual proof to this? Or is it like the whole, "Don't shoot steel cased ammo because it will ruin your extractor!" old wives tale? Seriously wondering because I can't see how it's mechanically any different than chambering a round from the magazine other than it's just having to go over the base of the round, which is softer than the steel used to make the extractor and I've never heard of it or seen it before... also, just a 1911 thing?

Try it? manually cycle a round and see if the shell's lip comes up behind the extractor or if the extractor has to push past it as it chambers. I would try myself if I wasnt at work.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    The extractor slides up into the slot/shell groove. And it is not just 1911's.

Vast majority of handguns. most things that don't have a rotating bolt I'd guess but I'd never say all/none based on that criteria.

The frequency of having a problem is the question. It's not an every time thing but apparently more frequent than the problems from shifting gears around a corner or over railroad tracks since at least one person in 11 responses has had 1st hand experience.

Top Bottom