• ...and so much more!
  • t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Finally got some free time to try a few loads this weekend. These are all regular Extreme plated using Winchester brass and Federal GM100M primers. I set oal to the center of the bullet's "cannelure"...it's just a light stamping on the Extremes.
    The rest I used wasn't the best and I know it helped open up the groups a bit...especially the 50' ones. Also, I'll admit I had a little trouble seeing the targets clearly at 50' due to the lighting and my peepers not being what they once were.
    All of the targets are 6 shots. Each load of the wadcutters and semi-wadcutters had 2 targets at 50' and 2 at 25'. The flat points on the right had 4 each at both distances.

image2 (6).jpg

Here's what the bullets look like...

image1 (6).jpg

Even with the less than perfect set up, it seems to me that the gun likes 3.6 to 3.8 grains of HP-38 a little better than 3.4. I kinda want to keep the load at 3.8 or below because it gets a little harsh for paper poking above that.
    Also, to me, bullet type doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I do however like the nice clean holes the wadcutters make!

Any thoughts/opinions are appreciated.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    3.7 grains of HP-38 under a 148 grain extreme plated wadcutter. Works fine. I have shot a bunch of them.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Those groups are nothing to sneeze at, and it doesn't surprise me that the loads at the upper end of the spectrum tend to do better than those at the lower end.
    You've been a reloader for quite a while, but others might like to know that generally powders that more completely fill the case tend to (not always, but it's often helpful) shrink group sizes, all because ignition consistency is better and because there is less airspace to change your velocities.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Those groups are nothing to sneeze at, and it doesn't surprise me that the loads at the upper end of the spectrum tend to do better than those at the lower end.
    You've been a reloader for quite a while, but others might like to know that generally powders that more completely fill the case tend to (not always, but it's often helpful) shrink group sizes, all because ignition consistency is better and because there is less airspace to change your velocities.

Thanks to you and some of the other more "seasoned" members that post here I realize there are better powders out there if I'm looking to get the absolute best groups. Myself though, I'm trying to KISS and wanted to make the HP-38 work as well as possible since I have a bunch of it and also use it for 45acp.

Last edited:

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Been loading some Winchester 540 under cast 158s, with great success.
    I picked up 6 pounds of the 540 in a big package deal. I have less than $5 a pound in it. Should provide all the .38 Special ammo I'll ever want. Lol

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    3.6 grns of Titegroup under the 158 grn Xtreme .38 copper Plated SWC in a 6" S&W 686 shoots groups for me at least if not better than the groups in the OP's pictures all day long. The point being you experiment with different loads using a chronograph and strive for consistency of the loads. It works for me.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I never thought that filling the case with powder was a factor in accuracy. It may apply to rifle cartridges. It is really hard to compare loads at so close a distance. I would think that any decent load would be a one hole group at 50 feet. I would be interested in what gun was used in the tests and what method was used to shoot the groups.

Last edited:

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    I wanted to give wheelguns a try so I recently picked up a 6" GP100. I did a "buff and fluff" of the trigger group and the standard spring changes. Other than that and the different front sight the gun is stock.

The rest used is just a U-shaped block of wood that the barrel rests in. There was no solid support for the grip portion so I was improvising by stacking the grip over my left fist.....not real steady I know!!

Top Bottom