First example of stamping bullets for later identification?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm reading a book on the Shanghai Municipal Police Reserve Unit ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NIUGG5M/ ) and learned that in an effort to identify someone shot by the police, the bullets had a special stamp. Rifle bullets had the stamp on the base, pistol bullets on the side. I suppose without modern tool mark comparison, that's the way it would have to be done. I wonder if this late 1920's implementation was the earliest use of special stamping to identify bullets after they were fired.

I can't find a good picture of one online, this is about the best one:

Shooting%20To%20Live.JPG

The book itself is pretty interesting. One thing I found rather funny is the debate today on if Sihks should be able to wear a turban in military or police uniform. For the SMP, Sihks were specifically sought after because they were so much taller than the Chinese, and the turban made them look even taller, so they were a very intimidating presence.

Fun facts (you could get your hair pulled for speeding, for example, or if you were British your company could fire you for marrying if you hadn't hit a certain salary level yet...) aside, the photos of the equipment they used is fascinating. Early body armor and ballistic shields for entries and searches, "Red Maria" which was a riot response vehicle with armor, cupolas, and flags and lights for signaling, etc. The pre-cursors for both modern riot response and SWAT response is evident.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I remember reading someplace that the Shanghai police were ahead of their time in many ways, including training. Can't remember the specifics, but remember being impressed. I think I even did some research on it.

Cool find.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I remember reading someplace that the Shanghai police were ahead of their time in many ways, including training. Can't remember the specifics, but remember being impressed. I think I even did some research on it.

Cool find.

They were....Sykes and Fairbain were called back to England to train (IIRC) the home guard and ended up training the British Commandos and the OSS after we got in the war......Here are some photos I found....
    fairbairn3.jpg

images

4649593aa6f8432c8a0462c8236c9136_r.png

fairbairn5.jpg

fairbairn4.jpg

images

knives-and-daggers-in-a-display-case-shanghai-munipal-police-university-of-bristol-historical-photographs-of-china-reference-number-ar04-128.jpg

tange1937.jpg

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I believe they were the guys who designed the WW2 era British Commando knife and trained the guys on how to use it.

Top Bottom