• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Took a brand new Bersa Thunder .380 out for a test run today.
    TERRIBLE groups, and my shots were almost all 2" low at 21' (7 yards).

The only ammo I had available was Winchester white box (I know, I know...) 95gr fmj.
    I ran 100 rounds through and they seemed consistently 2" low at 7 yards.

As I said, it is brand new. It functioned fine, and went bang every time I pulled the triiger.
    Is there a better choice of ammo for other Bersa owners?
    Maybe I need a different weight?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I never owned a Thunder .380, but I did own a Thunder 9 that HATED White Box. But that issue was much more about failures to fire and feed. Some of that ended being due to bad mag springs. Some of it I blame on the ammo.

Not sure the issues I experienced were related to accuracy or loose groups.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My dad has one. It really doesn't like WWB. TulAmmo steel case, fine. Perfecta, fine. ZQI, fine. But not WWB. It also hangs up in the Winchester PDX1/Defend HP's. The profile of the bullet seems to blunt. It likes the HST loads though.

Just try some other brands and maybe have someone else shoot it to make sure it ain't you.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Blazer brass and cheap federal (american eagle) seemed to work fine for my buddy.
    These were small sample sizes though, no more than 200 rds of each.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You say almost all were 2 inches low at 7 yards? Why were some not low?

IMO, 2 inches low at 7 yards is not worth worrying about. If you think it is important, file off a little of the front sight.

At short range like 7 yards, I rarely use the sights. It is a Bersa .380 after all...

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I had one and it ate everything until I tried non factory mags, which was a mag issue not an ammo problem.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Mark your mags. See if it is one not the other. For most pistols (38,357, 9mm, 45 AFP, 45 LC and 44 mag) WWBseems to be the CCI mini mag of pistol ammo. Weird to here 380 having issues.

Order a firing pin. From the few bersa pistols I have run into the firing pin seemed a weak point. This may not be a valid issue now as they were old 1980's era. LLama pistol of the era had the same with extractor and firing pin.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You say almost all were 2 inches low at 7 yards? Why were some not low?

IMO, 2 inches low at 7 yards is not worth worrying about. If you think it is important, file off a little of the front sight.

At short range like 7 yards, I rarely use the sights. It is a Bersa .380 after all...

On point here.
    Let someone else run it and compare the groups/POI as you might be nose diving the pistol. I do know those triggers can be a bit harsh.

rg1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    central
    Hornady 90 gr. XTP both factory and reloads shoots best for me in the Bersa Thunder .380 as well as Colt Gov't and Sig 238's. They feed great and are supposed to be a good self defense bullet. Hornady sells the 90 gr. XTP as American Gunner and Critical Defense. I reload them and my best powder by far is AA#2 with CCI 500 primers. Accurate Arms has data on-line and AA#2 will match or nearly match the factory Hornady loads. Having feed issues try 90 gr. XTP's. They are not expensive bullets and most don't shoot enough .380 that cost savings shooting cheaper FMJ is worth it.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    On point here.
    Let someone else run it and compare the groups/POI as you might be nose diving the pistol. I do know those triggers can be a bit harsh.

Good point all too easy to anticipate the shot and force the barrel down. Have someone else shoot it and see how it does. My wife has a Bersa Thunder .380, and it has always been very accurate. I have mostly bought Remington, S&B, and Aguilla ammo for it. Overall I like the gun, but I prefer something with a larger projectile for personal defense

Top Bottom