Ammo through my new Ruger GP100 ; .22; 5.5 inch; 10 shot; SS; 44 oz.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The Federal AutoMatch didn't fire 1 or even 2 shells from my new revolver each chamber, about 80 rounds or 8 chambers.
    The Remingtons only FTF once in about 6 chambers or 60 rounds.
    The CCI never failed: about 5 chambers or 50 rounds.
    The gun was very dirty after putting the Federals and Remingtons through it.
    I finished up with the CCI just to "clean" it up a bit.
    I know I had a thread asking about clean and dirty ammo.
    Strange that the Federal AutoMatch came recommended but were the most FTF.
    Had the same experience in my S/W Victory as well, b/c there would be 1 or maybe 2 FTF in each clip as well.
    The Remingtons did better, maybe no FTF at all: don't remember.
    Didn't have any CCI at the time to test to see if there would be no FTF with them.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    How do the strikes look on your spent ammo?
    Are all of the indentations the same depth?
    Any closer to the edge of the rim than others?

It could have a chipped or bent firing pin.
    Your problem could be light primer strikes, or bad priming jobs in some of the brands.
    The more intense the primer flash, the better chance that the powder will more completely burn, and thus be "cleaner".

Compare your spent cases if you still have any of them.
    Sort them out by brand, then look for abnormalities from brand to brand, or within a brand.

Could also be your revolver just needs a thorough cleaning of the firing pin channel.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Clean and lube your revolver. If you have failures to fire, send it to Ruger for warranty. That is not acceptable. I have owned several GP's, a couple of SP's and a few Redhawks. They are all dependable. The only ones I have seen act like that is from people doing "quicky" trigger jobs by putting in too light of hammer springs.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    How do the strikes look on your spent ammo?
    Are all of the indentations the same depth?
    Any closer to the edge of the rim than others?

It could have a chipped or bent firing pin.
    Your problem could be light primer strikes, or bad priming jobs in some of the brands.
    The more intense the primer flash, the better chance that the powder will more completely burn, and thus be "cleaner".

Compare your spent cases if you still have any of them.
    Sort them out by brand, then look for abnormalities from brand to brand, or within a brand.

Could also be your revolver just needs a thorough cleaning of the firing pin channel.

1. Thanks for the feedback, unfortunately I left all these spent shell at the range.2. I did look at the shelves before I ejected them and they were being hit On the edge like the others, but I did not examine them close.
    3. Next time I go to the range I will look as you have instructed.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Clean and lube your revolver. If you have failures to fire, send it to Ruger for warranty. That is not acceptable. I have owned several GP's, a couple of SP's and a few Redhawks. They are all dependable. The only ones I have seen act like that is from people doing "quicky" trigger jobs by putting in too light of hammer springs.

+1 on this.

Ruger makes some quality stuff and I have never had a problem with their firearms. That being said it could have been built that way.

My money would be placed on a basement trigger job, trimming the hammer spring, and YouTube "Gun Smithing" videos though.

If they are all hitting well on the primer and you just want to test a theory you could lube the :poop: out of the hammer spring, hammer pivot point, and clean any crud out of the hammer channel and try it again.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    with rimfire, especially in a revolver, pull the dead ones out and rotate them 1/2 a turn. If they fire after that, it was just a bad cartridge. Cheapies like thunderbolts are often marginal. Federals have been pretty good for me and I cannot remember having a bad CCI.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    62   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Had trouble with my ruger sp 101 doing the same thing, seems ruger has a problem with that little plate in front of hammer, did a little shooting { 3 0r 400 rounds and now it is fine. ruger knows about the issue and you can send it in

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    1. Thanks for the feedback, unfortunately I left all these spent shell at the range.2. I did look at the shelves before I ejected them and they were being hit On the edge like the others, but I did not examine them close.
    3. Next time I go to the range I will look as you have instructed.

ALWAYS, pick up ALL of your brass ..... weather or not you reload .....

Simply because of the info, you need, just like your question ....

Also, you might start reloading, and then you would be missing,

hundreds of rounds of brass .....

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Went to the range again today, my 4th time.
    I used only CCI ammo, and no issues at all.
    I was able to get a better pattern, learning how to use the gun sights properly.
    I think I need to raise the back sight.
    I had a better time today getting familiar with the Ruger GP100.

Top Bottom