• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I was reading last night about how some folks that are competing in speed-type matches where there are no power factor requirements, have developed lighter loads to compete against the "low-recoil" rimfire crowd (different divisions I know, but still...).

This really struck me after my last steel match as I was collecting brass after the match and noticed a lot of sooty 9mm cases.

I always load and shoot my full-power rounds. First, and most importantly, I need the gun to cycle and function 100% of the time, and secondly, I need a certain level of accuracy (not "bullseye accuracy", but decent enough).

Maybe I am just splitting hairs here, and this is not a big enough issue to deal with and I should focus on my technique and training, but I though I would throw it out to the group for discussion anyway.

Do any of you develop lighter loads for matches like this? Not worth the effort? Minimal payback?

While we are at it, we can add in bullet weight, although we have discussed this before. I am currently shooting all 9mm 124 gr. bullets. Is it worth it (if you take the cost away) to shoot 147 gr? I am also starting to load .45 now, and although I doubt I will be shooting matches with it for a while (if ever), any info there would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I load some at and slightly below minimum in 9mm 124gr for new shooters. If I competed and wasn't facing PF, I'd certainly be downloading them to get the times down.

Can't comment on 147s. I haven't loaded them.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    In a "Steel has to fall to score" sport, a heavier bullet is king. 125gr and 147gr seem to drop the full size poppers more consistently than 115's. Also, the heavier bullets have less felt recoil (not as snappy) as 115gr stuff.

With proper technique, 9mm recoil from a full-size pistol is next to nothing anyway.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I load 147g 9m down to where it will run my gun, why would I increase the charge? What do I gain besides recoil. People swear they can see my bullets arc to the targets.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Many of the USPSA guys are running 135 or 147 grain bullets over a fast powder such as TiteGroup or Clays. This combination seems to give less perceived recoil. The problem is that in order to make power factor a person starts getting danger close to max pressure. Lower power loads may not cycle a stock gun. Guns may require different recoil springs to cycle correctly.

In .45 acp the 200 grain wadcutter or 230 RN are the most popular bullet choices.

Personally I shoot 135 PF 9mm and loads in everything. Right now it's a 124 grain flat nose over 4.1 grains of HP-38. I am going to chronograph some 135 grain LRN out of my 1911. I can load the 135 grain bullet longer and I think it might alleviate some feeding issues.

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I shoot the fun steel matches as much as I can and my standard load is 124 Berrys plated RN over 4.1gr Win 231. It's not dramatically softer than factory loads but it is noticeable. It runs my Walther Q5 and Rock Island double stack with factory springs without issue. I should put the time into stepping it down a little more but wouldn't go far enough to compromise reliability.
    If/when I start shooting USPSA I'll have to get a crono and really dial it in.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I shoot the fun steel matches as much as I can and my standard load is 124 Berrys plated RN over 4.1gr Win 231. It's not dramatically softer than factory loads but it is noticeable. It runs my Walther Q5 and Rock Island double stack with factory springs without issue. I should put the time into stepping it down a little more but wouldn't go far enough to compromise reliability.
    If/when I start shooting USPSA I'll have to get a crono and really dial it in.

You won't be able to dial it back very much. Maybe a couple tenths of powder. Less and you will need lighter springs, it will be dirty and I doubt you will reliably make 125 PF.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    IMO loading lighter for less recoil in Steel Challenge is a waste of time unless you have a junior or someone recoil sensitive. You have time to recover from recoil while moving from target to target. Of course this has it's limits say you are comparing a .22 to a .50 Desert Eagle or a stub nose .44. My times on a plate rack are the same shooting Minor or Major power factor.
    Lots of the top steel shooters use lighter bullets(not lighter loads) because the bullets get to the steel faster and they know hit or miss faster. The lighter faster bullets made a better "ring" when a hit is made than a slow heavy bullet.
    One of the top steel shooters told me years ago that the reason .22 was faster than centerfire on steel wasn't the recoil difference but the faster bullet=faster feedback.
    I haven't followed Steel Challenge that close lately but I would bet that most of the top shooters are more concerned with bullet speed than recoil.
    Although lighter recoil can be more fun and that is what it is all about for lots of shooters.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    IMO loading lighter for less recoil in Steel Challenge is a waste of time unless you have a junior or someone recoil sensitive. You have time to recover from recoil while moving from target to target. Of course this has it's limits say you are comparing a .22 to a .50 Desert Eagle or a stub nose .44. My times on a plate rack are the same shooting Minor or Major power factor.
    Lots of the top steel shooters use lighter bullets(not lighter loads) because the bullets get to the steel faster and they know hit or miss faster. The lighter faster bullets made a better "ring" when a hit is made than a slow heavy bullet.
    One of the top steel shooters told me years ago that the reason .22 was faster than centerfire on steel wasn't the recoil difference but the faster bullet=faster feedback.
    I haven't followed Steel Challenge that close lately but I would bet that most of the top shooters are more concerned with bullet speed than recoil.
    Although lighter recoil can be more fun and that is what it is all about for lots of shooters.

That makes a lot of sense. Since power factor is not a concern a light weight bullet with a low charge of powder would work.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Years ago the Steel Challenge had stop plates that stopped the clock manually when shooting a string. Actually took a physical hit on the target to stop the clock. As other clubs around the country started shooting steel matches and didn't have the same equipment and were just using shot timers like we do today. They figured out the shot timers were faster because they didn't have the bullet travel time for the last shot. They actually had a amount that you were supposed to add to the time for the travel time of the bullet. That is one of the reasons SC had a minimum velocity at one time.
    A game of seconds the difference of .001 adds up over several strings.

I don't know what is worse the fact that things have changed that much or I'm old enough that I remember this stuff.:dunno:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    My last 1,000 of 9mm was a light load of 147gr Xtreme bullets. I loaded them using 3.2gr of Titegroup and the recoil was pretty much non-existent. During steel matches you have some stages that require double taps, the light recoil really helps with that. They were also so slow that you could actually see the projectile in flight, so if you missed you knew where you missed and were able to adjust. IMO, the light recoil loads are helpful. They allow you to stay on target and focus on the transitioning of the targets rather than bringing the sights back on target. It greatly increased my shooting speed...

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I think there is a little wiggle room left, but nothing drastic. My current load will run with my guns more dirty than they should ever get and being shot more limp wristed than they ever will be. My current load seems to be as clean or cleaner than most factory loads as well.
    Vert, I've been wanting to try the flat nose have you noticed any feed problems vs round nose?

I do have a 10# spring for my .45 1911 that I wouldn't mind playing with a bit though

To the OP my thought is why not take it down a little bit, just keep in mind the first malfunction will cost you 10X the time savings you get from the reduced recoil.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Some of those sooty cases may not be from intentionally down loaded rounds. In the powder shortage of a couple years ago, I loaded with what I could get, and some of the powders were pretty slow for the application, so they didn't burn very clean.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Some of those sooty cases may not be from intentionally down loaded rounds. In the powder shortage of a couple years ago, I loaded with what I could get, and some of the powders were pretty slow for the application, so they didn't burn very clean.
    I shoot Titegroup, the infamous titegroup stain, doesn't matter the gun or the load.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Most of my 9mm loads are around 900fps. When I buy from, say, Freedom Munitions those loads are over 1000fps. So I don't run full power loads or total powder puffs.

I have up until recently been shooting all 115gr FMJ's but I have a bunch of 135gr coated bullets I'm going to try.

I have shot a few really light loads that are no where close to min power factor. They still cycled the pistol, but man were they soft.:)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I load 147g 9m down to where it will run my gun, why would I increase the charge? What do I gain besides recoil. People swear they can see my bullets arc to the targets.

May I ask what powder and how much you use? I'm still working up some loads.

I shoot Titegroup, the infamous titegroup stain, doesn't matter the gun or the load.

I think that is more powder type than amount. I chrono'd out all kinds of loads a week or so ago and every last one was sooty.

Top Bottom