• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    So, I'm thinking about getting into reloading, but not sure I have a good spot to set up. I have a one storey home with a full, unfinished basement and a detached garage.
    The basement gets some water when it rains hard. Not like standing water, or anything, but I can see where it has seeped in from the walls and ran into the floor drain. It's not mildewey or mouldy or anything, but it is a bit humid. My assumption is that this would not be suitable for a reloading area. Are there things that I could do to keep things dry? I know, fix the leaky spots. The couple of contractors that I've spoken with told me that they would put up barriers to ensure any water keeps going to the drain, but it's already doing that as is...so... My only other option is the garage, but that brings in the constantly changing Indiana weather and different moisture levels during different seasons. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    You've got a couple options. Pay contractors to fix the leaks in the foundation/basement. I dont know how much that would cost though.

Or you could buy a fairly large dehumidifier rated for an area larger then your basement. Depending on the size of your basement it could run you from a couple hundred to much more. I say buy one larger then your basement is due to the fact that having one a size bigger will not hurt and it wont over run the dehumidifier. With a dehumidifier you will have to empty out the tank or run a hose down to the drain, if the drain actually drains and doesn't hold water.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    It's a full basement, about 35x35 with one plywood (previous owners wère plywood crazy!) wall running most of the length of the house. The only things down there are HVAC, HW heater, and W/D. Nothing shows any rust or signs of damage. The drain does indeed work well. It's not blocked or anything. I didn't know if they even made dehumidifiers that large? Is there a way to actually check the moisture levels to see where they are?

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    You check humidity levels with a hygrometer.

Sealing the basement from water penetration should be done from the outside by a qualified contractor and will be pricey.

I suggest walling off a smaller section of the basement that does not have leaks, placing a dehumidifier in it and use that as your reloading room.

Family man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Southern
    My reloading room is currently a walk in closet in the basement. My basement also gets wet but it drys quiclky I do run a dehumidifier. I havent had any problems. I would not chose the garage.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    My reloading room is currently a walk in closet in the basement. My basement also gets wet but it drys quiclky I do run a dehumidifier. I havent had any problems. I would not chose the garage.

That was kind of my thinking. I figured, if there was a lot of excess moisture, I'd notice rust on my mechanical stuff and a musty oder or mould on the joists. I'm thinking about getting a hygrometer and checking the levels several times a day for a couple weeks to see where the moisture levels are and how large of a dehumidifier I would need.

Family man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Southern
    Be sure to build your bench larger than you think you will ever need. When I started reloading I had a lee kit and limited space. I mounted the press and powder messure to a 3' 2x6 and it set in the corner when not in use. When I was loading I would just c-clam it to the kitchen table. That worked well for years. When we started using the basement I buit a 2'x7' bench with shelfs above. Thought I had plenty of room i was wrong. Started building an underground 12x18 vault. Almost completed it but now will be moving to the farm and starting over. Its like a garage it will never be large enough.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    So, I'm thinking about getting into reloading, but not sure I have a good spot to set up. I have a one storey home with a full, unfinished basement and a detached garage.
    The basement gets some water when it rains hard. Not like standing water, or anything, but I can see where it has seeped in from the walls and ran into the floor drain. It's not mildewey or mouldy or anything, but it is a bit humid. My assumption is that this would not be suitable for a reloading area. Are there things that I could do to keep things dry? I know, fix the leaky spots. The couple of contractors that I've spoken with told me that they would put up barriers to ensure any water keeps going to the drain, but it's already doing that as is...so... My only other option is the garage, but that brings in the constantly changing Indiana weather and different moisture levels during different seasons. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

My brother, keeps all his "stuff' in his detached garage .....

AFAIK, he has never had a problem, with anything .....

All the times, we went to the range together, he has not had one

fail to FIRE ..... so the primer and powder, must be good .....

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    My brother, keeps all his "stuff' in his detached garage .....

AFAIK, he has never had a problem, with anything .....

All the times, we went to the range together, he has not had one

fail to FIRE ..... so the primer and powder, must be good .....

I set mine up in the garage. I've not had any issues. Other than it's cold in the winter...

I would've thought that the constant change would ruin the components? Does your brother or you, BBI, put anything to keep your stuff dry?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I would've thought that the constant change would ruin the components? Does your brother or you, BBI, put anything to keep your stuff dry?

No. I've never noticed condensation, and the only time I thought I had an issue it turned out to be position sensitive powder. I used to be more concerned, but when I went to work for DynCorp I was assigned to guard a pre-positioned supply point for awhile. I saw the military stores ammo in cans in big bunkers with no climate control, and that was in the ME where temps got over 130 degrees. That's when I realized powder isn't as fragile as you might think.

Now, I'm not an expert. There might be some powders that are sensitive to temperature swings. There might be some primers that are. I've yet to have any issues, though, and I've been reloading for about 15 years. I'm pretty well satisfied the components I use, and factory ammo as well, is pretty resistant to temperature swings. Similarly, my rifle rides in my car's trunk in all temperatures, and when I was in uniform the pistol and magazines on my duty belt went through multiple temperature swings a day. Nobody seems to give it much thought, and I've not had any ammo related failures there, either.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Been reloading for more than 40 years in a lot of different places. Do what you can to keep it dry and you'll do fine.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Mine too was in my garage at my last house. No issues at all. I am going to build one in my basement as I finish it. It should be fine as I am digging down to my footer, installing french drain, waterproofing membrane to the outside walls and dimple board, back filling with stone to grade.

If I still get water, then "game over".

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have a made by me wood cabinet that stands about 4 1/2' tall, sits on the counter top at the end of the bench. It holds pretty much everything that is new, plus my scale, and dies.

Below my bench I keep my powder measure and single stage press mounted on a board that I attach to the bench top when I am loading. I also have an identical "board" with a vise and another with a bench grinder. This way I can use any one of those without anything getting in the way or I can have my top clear if I want to work on anything else.

I will modify my set-up as I build in my basement. The tall cabinet will have to find a new location since I'm going to a smaller bench and won't do double duty as a workbench like the one in my garage. That one did bike, car, lawnmower and anything else repairs.

My new one in the basement will be for firearms only. And I'm going to have a separate bench that I will call the "dirty area". I will have my tumbler on it and store my brass under it. Plus it will be my gun cleaning station.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What kind cabinet/storage solutions do you all use?

I have a made by me wood cabinet that stands about 4 1/2' tall, sits on the counter top at the end of the bench. It holds pretty much everything that is new, plus my scale, and dies.

Same, but mine is roughly refrigerator sized. Loaded ammo and all components except primers are kept inside. Also, dies, my chrono, etc. Primers are kept on a shelf above the reloading bench.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Same, but mine is roughly refrigerator sized. Loaded ammo and all components except primers are kept inside. Also, dies, my chrono, etc. Primers are kept on a shelf above the reloading bench.

You reminded me. I have one of those metal, cheap gun cabinets(some call them a safe, lol). I put shelves in it from top to bottom and I store my ammo in that. Holds everything except my shotgun shells. I just keep them in the cardboard container they came in out of the way.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    You check humidity levels with a hygrometer.

Sealing the basement from water penetration should be done from the outside by a qualified contractor and will be pricey.

I suggest walling off a smaller section of the basement that does not have leaks, placing a dehumidifier in it and use that as your reloading room.

IMG_2954.JPG

[video=youtube;OxyOHnum5eU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxyOHnum5eU[/video]

[video=youtube;O6aZVpoJerU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6aZVpoJerU[/video]

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    As long as you have power and lighting in the garage, I'd lean more that way, at least as long as you have room to set up your bench.
    You'll need to find a way to make it comfortable without moving air so much that it throws off your scales weighing powder charges and other delicate processes.
    You're also better off storing your powder and primers inside the house in a cool and dry environment.
    Naturally, a decent lock, outdoor motion lights, and any other possible security you can use to dissuade theft of any of your equipment would be good, especially if you have something really nice for a setup the like of a Dillon RL550B.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    As long as you have power and lighting in the garage, I'd lean more that way, at least as long as you have room to set up your bench.
    You'll need to find a way to make it comfortable without moving air so much that it throws off your scales weighing powder charges and other delicate processes.
    You're also better off storing your powder and primers inside the house in a cool and dry environment.
    Naturally, a decent lock, outdoor motion lights, and any other possible security you can use to dissuade theft of any of your equipment would be good, especially if you have something really nice for a setup the like of a Dillon RL550B.

I'm leaning toward the Lee Turret. The problem with the garage is space. I have a 2 car garage, but I also have 2 work benches in an "L" shape and a stand alone table saw already. Adding another bench might be a problem if I intend to still have room to park in it and do the painting/staining I do. I'd also rather be able to store it all in one place, bench and supplies. I'm just now starting to really look into reloading, and placement was the first issue I came to. I just bought The ABCs of Reloading and received it yesterday. I'm going to go through it and see what all I need as well as going through the sticky in this sub-forum about getting started (which has been fantastic thus far!). I have a couple home improvement projects I'm doing this summer, including cleaning and rerouting the gutters which may help with the seepage. So, the reloading will be a next year/tax time project. I just want to make sure I cover my bases and think everything through. I'm REALLY good at overthinking/overanalyzing things! :D

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom