• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    4" Redhawk in .45 Colt, I want to drive a 255 gr SWC at 1k fps, give or take. Most of the load data is for a 6" or 7" barrel. I'm thinking of trying Accurate #2. Anyone have any recommendations?

It's the .45 Auto/.45 Colt combo. I could, in theory also purchase some .45 Super brass and load that.

Purpose is: reasons. :): This isn't for any real purpose other than for funsies and because I like loading .45 Colt. I probably should have just went with the 6" version to begin with, or trade into one, but I'm still playing with the 4" for now.

Family man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Southern
    1000fps and a redhawk should be no prob. My cousin has a lineball with around a 4" tube and exceds that with heavy cast loads lineball sent him.
    Im at work and dont have the info handy. Dont know where its at due to moving. But it can be done.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    225 gr bullet, ww 296 powder. You can also load a really stout 250 gr, hard cast bullet, Speer Number Nine manual I think. I have fired hundreds of round exceeding 1000 fps out of that manual, in of a 45 Colt, Ruger SA, 4 5/8 inch barrel. We used to joke that a 44 Mag was a "small caliber" round. Seems safe and awesome performance.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    #2 seems like it would be much too fast for heavy Ruger loads. I've not done a lot with Ruger-Only loads, but 2400 is what I use, and I also have a 4" Redhawk. If memory serves, start is 15gr (where standard pressure ends) and goes up to 20g +/- (ALWAYS check your data).

#9 would probably work too, but 2400 is what I've used the most.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    For clarification, I know it can be done and the Redhawk won't mind it. I've been loading with #9, but it's very heavy recoil and I I don't think the 4" barrel is getting the most efficient burn out out of the powder. I think I can get a same velocity but lower recoil/less muzzle flash load using less powder if I can tailor it a bit more for the shorter barrel.

A faster powder would probably be better suited to the 4", and the Lee manual does have loads for #2.

I'm just looking for specific loads others have tried and chrono'd from the 4".

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I realize that W296 isn't known for being exactly a low-flash powder, but my chrono measured well over what you're looking for out of my 7.5" Ruger Blackhawk with a 255 grain lead SWC with it.
    The bullets used were bought by the box, so I'm unsure whether the bullet was the much loved Lyman #452424, but it was definitely the type and weight you mentioned.
    Components/specs:
    Brass - Federal
    Primer - CCI #350 (large pistol magnum)
    Bullet - 255 grain lead SWC
    Powder - 21.0 grains W296
    COAL - 1.653" - with standard roll crimp
    MV - 1100 FPS

I'm unsure whether Unique would better satisfy your search for a more efficient burn rate and lower flash, but I was able to find data using it specific for Ruger revolvers, i.e. those with stronger frames than Colt SAA or clones, over at (I'm a subscriber) www.loaddata.com.
    They even specify the exact bullet and the specific revolver (4.75" Ruger Vaquero), but (of course) the MV provided didn't come from me, since I haven't yet personally tried this specific load.
    My admittedly limited experience with Unique is that it doesn't have nearly the flash and blast of W296, but you may know more about that than I do.
    Here is what they have listed at Loaddata, with the starting and max charges and MV listed, separated with forward (/) slashes.

Bullet: 255 grain Oregon Trail lead SWC
    Powder/Charge: Alliant Unique - 7.6 grains/10.1 grains
    COAL - 1.595"
    MV - 825 FPS/1,039 FPS

I have more data using other powders in the medium to fast burn rate said to realize at or over 1,000 FPS out of the 4.75" Ruger Vaquero, with the only difference from the above data being powder and charge.

Powder/Charge - IMR 700X - 6.3 grains/8.0 grains
    MV - 865 FPS/1,023 FPS

Powder/Charge - Hodgdon HS-7 - 12.5 grains/14.5 grains
    MV - 907 FPS/1,073 FPS

You're already well versed in working up loads, so you already know what procedures to follow with that.
    This is what I was able to find that sounded useful, although I couldn't locate anything using AA#2, more than likely because of its very fast burn rate.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Powder/Charge - Hodgdon HS-7 - 12.5 grains/14.5 grains
    MV - 907 FPS/1,073 FPS

You're already well versed in working up loads, so you already know what procedures to follow with that.
    This is what I was able to find that sounded useful, although I couldn't locate anything using AA#2, more than likely because of its very fast burn rate.

The HS-7 load looks interesting...but of course it's not made any longer. Win 571 was the same powder, but it looks like it's been discontinued as well. Their reloading data page is down, so I can't check the new 572 powder and am unsure if that's a replacement or not.

I really dislike dealing with the 700X due to the disc shape making it real hard to meter.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The HS-7 load looks interesting...but of course it's not made any longer. Win 571 was the same powder, but it looks like it's been discontinued as well. Their reloading data page is down, so I can't check the new 572 powder and am unsure if that's a replacement or not.

I really dislike dealing with the 700X due to the disc shape making it real hard to meter.

Dunno what measure you're using, but I was surprised by how well 700-X meters through my Uniflow, checked by dropping and weighing 10 charges in succession, using a consistent movement of the charge handle, getting only one or two at most with a 0.1 grain variance, with nearly all of them being dead on.
    I have to agree about the cornflakes 800-X, though, a powder that meters so poorly that I hand weighed all that I had left of my 1/2 pound can to expend it.
    800-X is the one nearly unusable powder that I've ever had, and I won't be getting any more of it unless it's some kind of crazy situation when nothing else is available.
    I have a full canister of 700-X, though, ready to load up more .45 Colt or 10mm.
    Your mileage may vary, though.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Dunno what measure you're using, but I was surprised by how well 700-X meters through my Uniflow, checked by dropping and weighing 10 charges in succession, using a consistent movement of the charge handle, getting only one or two at most with a 0.1 grain variance, with nearly all of them being dead on.
    I have to agree about the cornflakes 800-X, though, a powder that meters so poorly that I hand weighed all that I had left of my 1/2 pound can to expend it.
    800-X is the one nearly unusable powder that I've ever had, and I won't be getting any more of it unless it's some kind of crazy situation when nothing else is available.
    I have a full canister of 700-X, though, ready to load up more .45 Colt or 10mm.

I may be thinking of 800X. It's probably been 15 years since I tried it.

I use the Lee power dispenser, same one I've used since I started reloading.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Long Story Short..

I HAD the same problem with 800-X .

Came across a killer deal on Two four pounders..

I made up a weight assembly to install into the hopper of my Dillon 550 powder measure, to help for an even fill of the slide bar.

Just this weekend I did some .44 Mag. and .45 Colt with 800-X. I backed off the Max load spec 1.0 grain, and after "settling
    in" , I was right at +/- .1 grain.

I have had GREAT accuracy with this powder in these loads, and with 10MM MAX loads..

As you said YMMV...Bill.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I may be thinking of 800X. It's probably been 15 years since I tried it.

I use the Lee power dispenser, same one I've used since I started reloading.

Hell, I'd donate my canister of 700-X, just to see what your experience is with it and to see if you can come up with a load that meets your expectations.
    I believe you're in the Indy area, though, so -- unless you're willing to drive about an hour each way -- you probably wouldn't want to make the road trip.
    I work in Greenfield daily, though, so that makes the trip only around 20 minutes, at least from Indy east side.
    Not joking about the offer.
    We .45 Colt men have to stick together. ;)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Hell, I'd donate my canister of 700-X, just to see what your experience is with it and to see if you can come up with a load that meets your expectations.
    I believe you're in the Indy area, though, so -- unless you're willing to drive about an hour each way -- you probably wouldn't want to make the road trip.
    I work in Greenfield daily, though, so that makes the trip only around 20 minutes, at least from Indy east side.
    Not joking about the offer.
    We .45 Colt men have to stick together. ;)

I appreciate it. I'm going to try to swing by PSS or the Outdoorsman and see if they have some Unique and/or HS-6 and give that a go.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I appreciate it. I'm going to try to swing by PSS or the Outdoorsman and see if they have some Unique and/or HS-6 and give that a go.

My limited experience with HS-6 is that it worked nicely out of of 10mm, without too much flash or blast, seeming to be a medium burn rate comparable to the old favorite of Unique.
    Those two powders look like close to ideal choices.
    The offer of 700-X stands if need be, and I wouldn't even give 800-X to someone I didn't care for. ;)
    Please update on what you find with the HS-6 and Unique once you've had a go with them, though.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I picked up 2lb of Unique and 1lb of HS-6 at PSS today. It'll be at least two weeks before I have a chance to chrono, but I'm going to load up some samples of each and see how they do.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Glad to see that you have what you need.
    Both powders are pretty versatile, so whatever your results, they won't go to waste.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Glad to see that you have what you need.
    Both powders are pretty versatile, so whatever your results, they won't go to waste.

That's what I figured. They'll go into other revolver loads pretty easy if I don't care for them in the .45.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So two weeks was more like two months, but I did get some loaded up. I've got some 250 gr bullets over 9.0 gr of Unique. I doubt that's at the 1k fps mark, but it's going to be my starting point. I hope to get a chance to chrono it Friday.

Top Bottom