School me on .308...complete rookie here!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I searched and did some reading but it was all over my head.:dunno:

I have a new bolt gun, my first ever, in .308 Winchester. Mossberg Patriot, 22" barrel, 1:10 twist.

I didn't realize all of the different ammo for it. 147 grain, 150, 155...etc.

I want an economical round for plinking and maybe deer. I'm not sure about distance. 100-150 yards should be adequate. I'm not looking to do any Canadian sniper antics.

Is there an all around round? Honestly, I'm clueless and would appreciate some advice from learned INGOtarians familiar with the subject.

TYIA,

Stocks

chevy2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    I have had good luck with the 150 grain Hornaday Interlock soft point . MOA groups or less, great performance on game and $20.00 - $23.00 per 100 for component bullets.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Are you wanting to know about reloading or buying factory ammo? Either way, the options are extensive and could only be narrowed down with a further understanding of your intended goals.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Welcome to the .308 Winchester Club....

As Broom__jm said, reloads, or factory loads?? it is a reloaders caliber..
    For me, I like to assemble my .308 loads with 165-168 grain projectiles..Does the best for me..Bill.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If you don't reload, I am going to suggest a hunting round it likes in the 145-150 grain neighborhood so you can alternately use military ball for your plinking with relatively minimal adjustment to your scope, as opposed to what you would have with a larger variation in bullet weight.

sht4brnz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    N.IndNpls
    1st.) 168 federal gold match or 2nd.) 168 black hills have been the most accurate factory ammo across all the platforms i own, and the twist rates vary.
    The accuracy falls of after 800

sht4brnz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    N.IndNpls
    Don't have too high of expectations for this ammo.
    I highly suggest you buy a single box of Federal Gold Match to shoot at the same time as the Fiocchi to compare.
    Seeing is believing!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I settled on 150 gr. to get my feet wet. Found a deal at Sportsman's Guide.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/fiocchi-308-win-fmj-rifle-shooting-dynamics-150-grain-20-rounds?a=893950

Thanks for the help! Much appreciated.

Stocks

You mentioned possibly hunting in your op, just remember that FMJ is not legal for hunting. Target ammo is not a good idea for hunting either. If you do decide to take the .308 hunting find a good bullet intended for hunting which shouldn't be very difficult.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I didn't notice it was you that was the OP. I'm in the same place, brand-new .308. I'm going to be giving the 168 gr. Federal Gold Medal Match a try first. My rifle has a 24 inch barrel and 1:10 twist. I'm going to sight it in and shoot it almost exclusively suppressed.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Since you're restricted to factory ammo, your best bet is to buy small quantities of ammo to evaluate to see what groups best for your purposes.
    As was already mentioned above, FMJ or hollowpoint (almost all target ammo is hollowpoint) ammo for rifle is either a very bad choice or (with deer and FMJ) illegal for deer.
    For target shooting/plinking only, your bullet styles (FMJ, hollowpoint, softpoint, etc.) are wide open, but for deer, you should either have softpoints or other type of bullet specifically designed for big game, such as Nosler Accubond or Barnes TSX/TTSX.
    Find the ammo that groups best and most consistently, then go with that.
    There is no one perfect ammo and each rifle is an individual, so what performs very well in my rifle won't necessarily do well at all in yours.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    My daughter used Federal 150 grain SP to kill her buck. Shot half way decent and it was pretty cheap for factory loads. I used reloads for my two deer.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I don't get caught up in the higher price bonded bullet hunting loads for deer. The traditional soft point, cup and core rounds work great on thin skinned whitetails. Find one that shoots decent out of your rifle and bring home venison.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I don't get caught up in the higher price bonded bullet hunting loads for deer. The traditional soft point, cup and core rounds work great on thin skinned whitetails. Find one that shoots decent out of your rifle and bring home venison.

Bonded bullets are certainly tougher than necessary for whitetails from anything .270 Win and larger but they still work very well especially if you drop down a bit in bullet weight as you should. Most premium bullets tend to shoot well also and guarantee an exit wound.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Bonded bullets are certainly tougher than necessary for whitetails from anything .270 Win and larger but they still work very well especially if you drop down a bit in bullet weight as you should. Most premium bullets tend to shoot well also and guarantee an exit wound.

Exactly
    They also keep the core on the jacket (or have no core at all, as with the TTSX, SST, and other similar types) and greatly improve your odds of properly anchoring your deer from unusual angles (quartering away, for example), while guaranteeing reliable expansion out far and staying together for very short ranges where a cheap game bullet could fragment and let the deer run a good distance before dropping, leaving a good portion of the venison bloodshot and inedible.
    Being cost-conscious with ammo is only rational, but the average deer hunter won't be shooting more than two or three rounds per deer, so trying to economize even with hunting ammo makes about as much sense to me as trying to economize on defensive loads.

Top Bottom