• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Spur of the moment bought my first AK..... I know the defensive round ammo department is not that great for it. What's the general agreement on the best defensive round for it?

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    ek%207-16-15%20pm%20009.JPG

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I really wish they would make a TAP. All my other rifles and shotguns run TAP.

The bullet used in the ammo from the link that Vitamink proved is specifically designed for the 7.62x39, as opposed to the 150 grain and other designed for .308 Winchester MV or higher, so it should expand reliably.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The bullet used in the ammo from the link that Vitamink proved is specifically designed for the 7.62x39, as opposed to the 150 grain and other designed for .308 Winchester MV or higher, so it should expand reliably.

This is correct and I will add that based on my experience with Hornady SSTs in other calibers, it expands reliably over a large range of muzzle velocities, often explosively at the middle and upper end of that range. IMO, it is most reliable at the lower end of the recommended velocity range.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Opinions on the Hornady black ammo? Looks like a brass cased SST?

A cursory look indicates that it's a brass cased version of the exact same ammo in the first link.
    If your'e a reloader and want to recover the brass for rolling your own after firing it or have difficulty with steel cased ammo, it would be worth it to use the Black instead.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I picked some of these up when Cabelas had them on sale for $8.00 a box. I haven't gotten a chance to shoot them yet but to me they screamed personal defense and deer hunting! I am thinking they will just explode when they expand.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/6...9mm-123-grain-round-nose-soft-point-box-of-20

I'd thought about trying some of those just for kicks, but I doubt they will feed well in semi-autos. They are probably only really intended for things like CZ bolt actions.

What are you planning to shoot them in?

And let us know your how it goes!

Top Bottom