• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Ive been looking around but I think the threads have been buried deep lol.

What bulk ammo should you stay away from for:

7.62x39

As in what tends to be more junk and corroded and not shoot well?

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The #1 thing to avoid with milsurp (often sold in bulk) ammo is to stay away from corrosive primed.
    Also, if you have any plans for now or in the future to recover the spent brass to reload yourself or for someone else to do that with, stay away from either steel cased or Berdan primed.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Sounds cliché, but you going to have to try it to really know. Case in point 1ZQ ammo has some very positive reviews, so I bought some. It doesn't shoot worth a damn out of my Remington 700. 3 inch groups at 100 yards. Good thing I had some Federal Match for a baseline. In 223 I shoot Wolf Steel Case out of my Savage Model 25, 1 MOA groups. So far I shot out to 300 yards. Gander Mountain had plenty of 308 ammo in stock and with 25% off it's at normal retail prices. They had a ton of Fusion 150 gr for 18.98. I wish I'd picked up a box before I headed out today but forgot. Again Fusion has some very positive reviews and some very negative reviews. Don't know why I'm looking for something else? I what works in my rifle (308) and maybe saving a few bucks (at least for the amount I shoot) isn't worth having a less accurate round or the trouble testing new ammo. Good luck.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville

I have read about that in the past when I had my FAL. Although I had a ton of Lake City surplus, I was always looking for more to stack deep. Fell into a deal on some mid 70's Indian ammo and that stuff shot great. It came in rusty crappy corroded ammo cans like it had been buried in the desert for years, but every round fired and shot pretty well. The 70's production was done under the British, while the later stuff that came sealed in plastic blisters was downright dangerous.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I'm not afraid of cleaning the gun after shooting corrosive... just don't want to buy a case and the ammo itself be corroded.... I have heard stories but not sure how true they are.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm not afraid of cleaning the gun after shooting corrosive... just don't want to buy a case and the ammo itself be corroded.... I have heard stories but not sure how true they are.

As long as you have the more involved procedure down -- water and ammonia and getting into the gas tube, bolt face, and any other parts exposed to the salts, and if you clean as soon as possible after you finish shooting every time -- you should be okay.
    It's still quite a lot of hassle just to save a few bucks when there's other ammo that can be gotten for similar prices without having all that on your mind.
    Just MNSHO

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom