• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Atkinsons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Greenwood, IN
    Looking for advice on how to learn how to reload 9mm. Some of you might ask why with ammo prices being at an all time low pricing and my answer is I know I would enjoy it plus I believe you should have a better understanding of what you are shooting.
    Is there classes that one could go to learn reloading or is there a manual or book for beginners. Also would appreciate input on which reloading press is the best for loading 9mm. Looking forward to your input!

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    There is a plethora of guidance on Youtube which could be a good start for the novice. As far as which press is best, I'll take a pass on that and watch from the sidelines. :popcorn:

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I started with a lee turret classic. While the 3 and 4 die holders are NICE, I could have learned MUCH easier starting with a single stage press for my first thousand rounds or so to fully understand each die and it's stages. I'm glad I DID NOT buy a progressive press for my first as recommended by some.

edit: defining terms
    singlr stage is a press with one die, you setup and deprime all cartridges as step one, then change die and perform step 2 with the next die, etc

Lee turret has a 3 or 4 hole disc. All stages of reloading go on this disc and each pull of the lever performs a step and rotates to the next die. Full through one cycle equals one round.

progressive press, after the first few in, can perform multiple stages at once through a rotation process and would finish putting out one round as it starts a new one (with a few others in various steps) with each pull of the lever.

id recommend starting with a single stage, because you'll learn a lot more on your own. I regret not learning that way, because I did not have a mentor. With one, whatevs as they say.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Coming from the pre-electronic reloading era, I started with a single stage press, pan balance weight measure, and a rotary measure. Made a lot of ammo with that and still do even though I have more advance equipment today.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I think Lyman's 49th reloading manual is good place to start.

U tube is good place. Hickcock45 is good one for many gun videos. Reading here is another good place for many threads about processes, equipment and terminology.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Lyman has a good manual. I use Hornady as well.

I started with 9 on a single stage. If you do plenty of research, you'll be fine.

I can't recall but it seems there is a shop(s) in Indy that provide a class.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Just started reloading myself just under a year ago. I bought the Lee single stage challenger kit. Im not reloading in bulk so works for me. Like others have stated watch some you tube videos, get a few reloading books and READ them. Then dive into it. Starting with a caliber like 9mm is probably a good way to start. I started with 223 and theres a bit more involved on the normal rifle rounds. When i finally started doing 9mm and 45acp, those were much easier. I now do 9, 45, 223, 300 blackout, and 458 socom. Definitely enjoy doing it

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I read through the Lyman manual and a book called the ABCs of Reloading. Then watched a few videos.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Another YouTuber who is an avid reloader whose videos I highly recommend is FortuneCookie45LC.
    Read all you can, ask questions here and elsewhere, watch experienced reloaders, then follow the data and procedures to the letter.
    A few good reloading data manuals are essential, and I'll say that the Lyman has an extensive section in the front of theirs that goes into much of the reloadign procedure and offers advice on what components and equipment to buy.

AmateurE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2017
    NWI
    Not much of an expert, as I've only been reloading for 5 years (started because of the high price of 380s), but my 2 cents would steer you to a Lee 4 hole turret press. You can operate it single stage if you like the idea of batch processing one operation (ie. decapping, powder charging, bullet seating, etc.) then engage the turret for 4 pulls and presto, a new cartridge. I only do 380, 9mm, and 44 so far. It has really turned out to be a cool hobby within a hobby.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    There is a sticky in this forum for new reloaders. What it boils down to is you need to like reading, because the reloading manuals are your bible. They will teach you how to reload safely and provide the necessary load data to do so.

As far as which press to buy, the advice I give goes like this:

If you will be loading a fair amout of pistol and 223 ammo, get a Lee Classic Turret press. (Use it as a single-stage until you're comfortable with it.)
    If you will be loading mostly rifle ammo, with a smaller amount of pistol, get a RockChucker single-stage press.
    If you will be loading a LOT of pistol and 223 ammo, get a Dillon 550. (Use it as a single-stage until you're comfortable with it.)

I live on the south side but work down town. If you're not up in Fishers or Carmel, I'd be glad to help you set up a reloading bench and help you learn to use the press.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I'm on the westside of indy (Speedway area), I'd be happy to demo reloading on my Dillion Square Deal. I started with a progressive, used it as single stage until I understood what each stage was doing. PM me if you are interested. Once you see a reloader in action it'll be easier to decide what you may want. Be warned my house is messy, in the middle of moving or getting my house ready to move, still looking for a new place.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Looking for advice on how to learn how to reload 9mm. Some of you might ask why with ammo prices being at an all time low pricing and my answer is I know I would enjoy it plus I believe you should have a better understanding of what you are shooting.
    Is there classes that one could go to learn reloading or is there a manual or book for beginners. Also would appreciate input on which reloading press is the best for loading 9mm. Looking forward to your input!

I am on the west side, and am willing to help, in any way I can .....

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm on the westside of indy (Speedway area), I'd be happy to demo reloading on my Dillion Square Deal. I started with a progressive, used it as single stage until I understood what each stage was doing. PM me if you are interested. Once you see a reloader in action it'll be easier to decide what you may want. Be warned my house is messy, in the middle of moving or getting my house ready to move, still looking for a new place.

I am on the west side, and am willing to help, in any way I can .....

:yesway:
    And repp'd

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Feel free to come down to the shop. We've got multiple presses set up you can check out and you can ask all the questions you want.
    We have reloading manuals on the shelf as well as plenty of components to get you up and started.

We do actually have a few used presses at the moment....Our used Dillon Square Deal B is set up for 9mm......might be worth checking out.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Im new as well. I started with the Lyman's 49th. Many people say "you dont need a book, its all online." Yes, the BACK of the book is all on line. The front of the book is the hows and the whys. The back of the book is the readily available data and isnt as necessary with the internet.

Once you have gone through the front of the manual several times it will all start to make sense. Without that info, the back of the book/internet data doesnt make as much sense.

Feel free to come down to the shop. We've got multiple presses set up you can check out and you can ask all the questions you want.
    We have reloading manuals on the shelf as well as plenty of components to get you up and started.

We do actually have a few used presses at the moment....Our used Dillon Square Deal B is set up for 9mm......might be worth checking out.

Its worth the trip OP. He is my go-to for all things reloading. Awesome customer service and excellent pricing.

Atkinsons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Greenwood, IN
    First and foremost thank you to everybody for all the help and the offer to help. I am going to PM those who offered to help so be ready. This thread really shows how the gun community really sticks together and helps when they can. Thank you I will pay it forward. Sean

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    There are a few places in the indy area that offer classes I know. I didn't see any listed here, but I also skimmed somewhat quickly. If you are wanting to reload for a higher volume of shooting, not just some rifle stuff here and there as it sounds. I would highly recommend starting with a progressive press. I jumped right in with a Dillon and have zero regrets. I just went super slow starting out, but it's really not as complicated as many make it sound. Be prepared to put the time in and go slow etc. but there is no reason to start single stage if you are wanting to knock out a bunch of 9mm. In my opinion you are just throwing your money away to upgrade later. I honestly with I'd started with a 650 rather than a 550, I just happened to catch a deal second hand on a new 550 so I jumped on it. It all depends on what you are comfortable with and willing to put in to it, but I highly recommend a Dillon progressive, I've since picked up a single stage even, but it still sees very little use.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Hornady and Lyman books,
    Then vids on youtube. Heads up, it CAN get expensive if you dive right into multiple calibers. Id suggest, as you said, start with 9mm. Then, after a short while, another cartridge, and another.
    Most handgun cartridges are / can be easier to learn on.

I have a Lee Classic Turret press, and it was the right balance of speed, flexibility, price for me.

I started with 38 spl, which was perfect. Then 357 mag, 223, 300blk, and now 45 acp. It's a lot of fun, amd you learn a lot more about your guns than youd expect. In the end, it has not saved me much money - BUT for the money I spend, i can shoot 2-3x more!!!
    It also takes time, especially at first.
    I was making about 1 rd a minute at first, its now about3-4 per min, sometimes more

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom