• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My Lyman electronic scale died over the weekend and I'm in the market for a replacement. I'm not sure if I want to go with a simple electronic scale like the Lyman was or if I want to go with something more elaborate that contains a dispenser. There are some powders that I don't often use because of the difficulty in metering consistently. Stuff like 800X that will not meter in a Dillon for anything.

What is everyone using that they are happy with? Also, are there any scales to avoid?

Thanks...

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I am loving my RCBS Chargemaster 1500 scale. If you buy the scale as a stand-alone, you can always add the dispenser later (which is what I did). I find it to be great and accurate. I have a set of serialized and calibrated scientific check weights, and I calibrate every time I use it. When I go through the weight set, even the teeny tiny weights, it is always dead nuts on.

Gives you room to upgrade to the full blown dispenser system later on if you want. I have seen them all over the place (Midway, Brownells, Natchez) for under $130. I got mine on sale at Natchez, and at the time there was an RCBS rebate going on, and I think there is one going on now as well. I think I paid less than $100 after it was all said and done.

No regrets at all. Zero.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    For what kind of purpose(s) are you reloading?

Are we talking pistol only, rifle and pistol, precision rifle, high volume...?

-Nate

Jim McKalip

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    I've been using the Pact (Pact.com) scale for the past 20 years with no problems. I also have the digital powder dispenser that works with the scale but don't use it since I gave up rifle shooting thanks to arthritis. I recommend both without hesitation.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    For what kind of purpose(s) are you reloading?

Are we talking pistol only, rifle and pistol, precision rifle, high volume...?

-Nate
    I reload 9mm, .40 and .45 acp mostly. For those calibers, the scale will just be used to check the Dillon 550 dispenser before each run, but I also load 10mm, .308 Win, 8mm Kaiser and 7.62x54r. Those currently get hand measured which is why a dispenser would be nice to have.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I recommend a Harrell Schuetzen powder measure, and to hell with weighing.

I've loaded 600 yard-dedicated .223 ammo (and .223 is one finicky b*&ch with regard to velocity) that is probably 1 MOA tall at that range. JUST throwing.

Longer range stuff I weigh, and I USED to weigh everything for 600. Until this one time that I shot a whole slew of 10's and X's with mixed lots of older ammo and won a State with it. I quit that like a bad habit.

Sure, you still need a decent scale to throw "Ten Throws" into to check charge weight per adjustment on the thrower, and I grant that the Schuetzen measure would require that you double throw for your medium rifle loads, but with the handgun stuff, I doubt weighing would ever matter. They are that good, and at ~0.05 grains per click (or less), you've got all the precision and accuracy you need.

If you find yourself loading a LOT of medium rifle, then maybe a Premium would be in order because while it only adjusts by ~0.1 grains at at time, it throws a lot more powder.

Take a looksee:

Schuetzen / Pistol Measure

If it looks high speed low drag, trust me, it is.

-Nate

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    But I'll send you a Pact Digital for not a lot of money, and/or loan it to you until you settle on something.

It is in great shape, but I use a lab balance at this point.

-Nate

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'll second the RCBS Chargemaster, but nadscott has a very good point about powder measures.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    RCBS Chargemaster. I've had one for awhile now and love it. It can be a little slow, but I'm no a high volume rifle shooter either so it is great for my needs.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I have a Hornady Auto Charge which I use for loading plinking .308 ammo and .223. It does fine... for range ammo. I compared the loads multiple times on my RCBS Rangemaster 750 (highly recommended if you decide not to go with a dispenser) and they were never the same. I was told by Hornady to make sure I gave it ample time to warm up... which I did... but whatever, it works good enough to keep a rifle load within half a grain so I use it for plinking rounds which don't have to be precise or accurate. If you go with a dispenser, I would advise dropping the extra $100 or so on the RCBS.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    If your running a progressive press have you considered a beam scale? RCBS 10-10 or for smaller loads the 5-10. After zeroing it out it is fast getting a reading. Are you having trouble with the powder throws not being even? Had that problem before.

800-x heard that stuff looks like potato chips. Lol.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom