• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Had a great time at Farmland Conservation Club shooting with a buddy yesterday, except for a problem with the carry ammo in my G20.

I had a magazine of 15 rounds that had been in the gun for probably just over a year. Factory Winchester 175 gr Silvertips. I was slow firing and had counted through the first 14 rounds. Pulled the trigger the 15th time and just got a click..... I thought. The slide wasn't locked back on the empty magazine, so I racked the slide and an empty case ejected. Huh, that was weird. I loaded another five rounds in the mag, slapped it home, and racked the slide, but it wouldn't go into battery, luckily. I dropped the mag and ejected the loose round that wouldn't chamber. Put the round back in the mag, slapped it home, racked the slide, and again it wouldn't go into battery.

At that point I knew something more serious was going on, so I dropped the mag and racked the slide several times to make sure it was clear. I broke the gun down, looked down the barrel, and low and behold there was a bullet lodged in the throat, just back far enough to prevent another round chambering by about 1/8".

I don't recall hearing any report when I pulled the trigger on that last round, or feeling any recoil. There also wasn't any unburned powder in the barrel/chamber/gun when I broke it down. That leads me to believe that there was no powder in the round at all, and it was just the primer that propelled the bullet into the rifling.

I have 480 rounds of this ammo left, but have no confidence in it now for a self defense situation. I was wanting to try and find something that uses a more modern bullet design, so now I guess I have an even better reason to do so.

First squib, and just glad it didn't blow up my hand or pistol.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Scary stuff right there bro. Glad it turned out ok.

That squib turned your pistola into a club.

Im with you in replacing that Ammo. I'd shoot it up or save it for hard times.

I just switched to HST ammo for SD.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Thanks. My first thought was "dang, glad the pistol didn't blow up." Then my second thought was "dang, glad I didn't find that squib during a defensive encounter."

I am looking at switching to Federal HST for my 9mm carry gun, but unfortunately they don't make it in 10mm. I have looked at the Hornady Critical Duty, but it is fairly anemic for 10mm, although I'm sure they found the optimal load for that bullet. I may have to look at Double Tap, Underwood, or Buffalo Bore, but I don't really want nuclear loads either. Would just like to have something in between, somewhere between medium and max loading.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    If in doubt that there are more rounds without powder, you could always weigh each round and make sure they are all close in weight. If you find one that is "light", pull it down and see what's inside.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I have been using Federal HST for a couple of years now, and I shoot out my defensive mags every 6 months or so just to keep them fresh.

Sorry you had to go through this, and glad that you are OK. Scary situation for sure.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I would save everything and contact Winchester. I'm sure at the very least they would like to know about it and the loss of your business. Never know, they might make it right.

I hardly ever see 10mm's any more. I'm betting Winchester doesn't sell much in the way of 10mm? I mean if Federal doesn't even make a 10mm HST???

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Thanks. My first thought was "dang, glad the pistol didn't blow up." Then my second thought was "dang, glad I didn't find that squib during a defensive encounter."

I am looking at switching to Federal HST for my 9mm carry gun, but unfortunately they don't make it in 10mm. I have looked at the Hornady Critical Duty, but it is fairly anemic for 10mm, although I'm sure they found the optimal load for that bullet. I may have to look at Double Tap, Underwood, or Buffalo Bore, but I don't really want nuclear loads either. Would just like to have something in between, somewhere between medium and max loading.

I also like the HST's especially when you can buy them in the 50 round boxes! Another thought for 10mm carry ammo I think you should consider/look at is CORBON. I really like their stuff a lot, and have never had a problem trusting it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would save everything and contact Winchester. I'm sure at the very least they would like to know about it and the loss of your business. Never know, they might make it right.

I hardly ever see 10mm's any more. I'm betting Winchester doesn't sell much in the way of 10mm? I mean if Federal doesn't even make a 10mm HST???

Remington makes a decent round in the greenbox UMC. Velocity is 1100 plus which is low end for 10mm but it does run pretty well. That is what I had in both 10mm's at the last shoot you and I were at.

Underwood is my full house 10mm supplier.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I have tried Buffalo and it ran dirty. Underwood is the real deal in my experience.
    I have some of the 1550 FPS loads and believe me you know when you touch one of those off.

I've shot 135 gr., not sure on the weight but it was light, and 180 Underwood from a G20. The light stuff was wicked. The 180 felt easier to control. Sure was fun though.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I had a friend practicing with his Hornady 9mm critical defense one day and he had a squib. Sucks and scary thought but it's something you have to prepare for just in case it happens in a real situation. Anything is possible

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This is a reminder that a squib or other ammunition malfunction can occur with any ammunition, even premium factory ammo intended for personal defense. Any brand, any caliber. Keep in mind that a squib can and often does render the weapon useless until you have time and tools to hammer the bullet out of the barrel.

What is your plan if you need to use your gun to defend yourself and you get a squib or other malfunction that can't be fixed without time and tools?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Sig Sauer makes a good 10mm. The velocity of their FMJ matches the JHP and it is more robust than most.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    What is your plan if you need to use your gun to defend yourself and you get a squib or other malfunction that can't be fixed without time and tools?

All I could do is un-ass from the situation, which wouldn't work since that is what I would have tried before I shot. I only carry one gun most times. I have carried two, but with my job it is tough to get around with one at times.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    This is a reminder that a squib or other ammunition malfunction can occur with any ammunition, even premium factory ammo intended for personal defense. Any brand, any caliber. Keep in mind that a squib can and often does render the weapon useless until you have time and tools to hammer the bullet out of the barrel.

I'd love to hear some suggestions here. I know I would have a tough time running with a full load now in the back of my trousers!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    All I could do is un-ass from the situation, which wouldn't work since that is what I would have tried before I shot. I only carry one gun most times. I have carried two, but with my job it is tough to get around with one at times.

We have to make decisions based on our life's constraints. If you can't carry two (or more), then you can't. You have considered it, know what you're doing, and you've made that decision. No problem with that!

I'd love to hear some suggestions here. I know I would have a tough time running with a full load now in the back of my trousers!

The obvious is that if you choose to a carry a gun for defense, carrying more than one is a prudent decision for a variety of reasons. The key is to think through your plan, apply the realities of your own life, and then make a decision based on your analysis (rather than just carry a gun and assume it will always be available and 100% functional when you most need it).

Handguns are relatively complex mechanical systems that also include the ammunition. All elements of the system must function for the system to function, so there are a number of ways a failure of one part will render the gun inert (at least temporarily).

I was also reminded by Clint Smith (via his youtube presence) that not only should we all carry more than one, the second should not be some dinky little thing that is convenient and comfortable. It should be at least as capable as the primary.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Which brings my brain back to handloads.

What does anybody think about carrying a magazine full of ammo they loaded themselves?

-Nate

Top Bottom