• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I've worked out a couple decent loads for my .308s but have only loaded .223 for good function in my ARs. I need a decent baseline load for one of my ARs I want to try some precision shooting with. I have some 69g SMKs and some 75g Hornady match pills. I have Tac and Benchmark availabile.

Suggestions?
    Thanks, Matt

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    No idea about Tac & Benchmark...but the 75gr HPBT @ 2.25" COAL under 24.0gr Varget has been an accurate, no-pressure load in multiple ARs and bolt guns.

25.3gr Varget with the 69gr SMK.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    My go to load is the 69gr SMK and 24. something gr of Varget
    (Notes are downstairs and am too lazy to go look)
    Tried Tac, Varget ran consistently better.
    No experience w/ Benchmark, but is on my list to try

Incidentally, at one point during the great powder shortage, I tried IMR4064
    Almost as nice as Varget, but doesn't meter nearly as well

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Incidentally, at one point during the great powder shortage, I tried IMR4064
    Almost as nice as Varget, but doesn't meter nearly as well

I found the same when loading for .308. 4064 was doing good to drop within a grain each time. I have about enough left to load maybe a dozen .308. After it's gone, it's gone! Maybe run by PSS this afternoon and see if they have a lb of Varget. I like to use Tac where I can though. I bought out a friend who had 32lbs of the stuff!

Matt

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I agree. 69smk, lc brass, iirc my load is 24.5 varget, 2.25 oal.

I have not tried the horn 75s.

Since you have a boatload of tac, try that with some berger 55s. I did a load up for a guy with that combo that was easily sub moa.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    The AR is a 7 twist. I also have a bolt that has proven to be rather accurate that I'm hoping can share the same recipe. It is an 8 twist if I remember correctly. Doubtful two rather different rifles will really like the same load.

Matt

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    . Doubtful two rather different rifles will really like the same load.

Oh, I dunno about that, Matt. Sure, you might be able to TUNE one load to smaller groups, but if you run the 69 Sierra or the 77 Sierra at mag length (2.250"-2.255" COAL), you may be really surprised how well both will shoot.

You WILL almost certainly necessarily need to give up a little performance in the bolt gun to have good/safe loads for the AR. In my mind, this is WELL worth the trouble to have common ammo and loads, and avoid the possibility of a bolt gun load getting in a gas gun chamber.

I'd think TAC at 23-24 grains would work alright. For a go-to if you decide to change, Varget and RE-15 are the right (and easy) choice.

-Nate

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Any particular reason to avoid 2520 with heavier SMKs? I'm hearing good stuff about 2520 with 69, 77s, and 80s.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    It's temperature sensitive, and it burns barrels out like he@#. It's also too fast for the 70-80 class...at least, if we're talking "ideals" and "making choices on what to buy" on the front end. Now if I a guy already had a bunch, that might be a different answer.

I use it, but only for a "carry load" with the 65 GameKing that I don't need to shoot much. I guess if it were a chromed bore, I might feel differently, but steel from the land of cheese and beer is expensive.

2520's best asset is that it is moderately slow, but still throws like water in a progressive press, or for any other loading without weighing charges.

-Nate

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    It's temperature sensitive, and it burns barrels out like he@#. It's also too fast for the 70-80 class...at least, if we're talking "ideals" and "making choices on what to buy" on the front end. Now if I a guy already had a bunch, that might be a different answer.

I use it, but only for a "carry load" with the 65 GameKing that I don't need to shoot much. I guess if it were a chromed bore, I might feel differently, but steel from the land of cheese and beer is expensive.

2520's best asset is that it is moderately slow, but still throws like water in a progressive press, or for any other loading without weighing charges.

-Nate

I'm translating that as "Kreigers don't last as long when they see 2520."

So what powder do you prefer for mag length 69s or 77s? Reloder 15 was one I wanted to start with. I know Varget is popular, but I don't want to go what everyone else does.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    A partial update. I bought a pound of Varget and loaded 10 each of 69g SMKs at 23.5,24,24.5,25,25.5 and 26grains. I shot 5 each from my AR and my Savage bolt after running 5 rounds of my standard bulk reload through each gun.
    Its a partial update because I don't recall what loads were best out of each gun. However, they seemed to be on different nodes. The good groups on the AR were generally poor on the bolt gun and vice-versa. The inbetween groups were similar but the bolt gun had slightly tighter groups.
    The AR was shooting just under 1moa on its two best groups and the Savage was about .7 moa. Worst groups were about 2 moa from both rifles.
    Not sure whether to settle on what this days shooting told me or rerun another 10 of each load and reshoot to verify. The other question is do I setup for two different loads for the two guns or settle for the best load I can do that works just okay in both guns?

Matt

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I'd reload & verify...but I'd run 0.3gr increments this time. Half grain between charge weights is just too big in a 223 case. I'd do 24.0, 24.3, 24.6, 24.9, 25.2, and 25.5gr...and eventually expect to find my load between 24.9gr and 25.5gr.

I'd also try to find a single load that worked "good enough" in both guns, but keep notes of which works best in each.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    So what powder do you prefer for mag length 69s or 77s? Reloder 15 was one I wanted to start with.

Reloder 15 to start, to stop, and forever. Nothing more is ever needed unless you just require the utmost in speed, or need to push 90 grainers.

Here's the easy button, with all the usual caveats about you blowing off your hand not being my fault: 24.0 grains RE-15. Remington 7.5BR seated 0.002-4" below flush. Lake City or Winchester casings sized to get 0.003-0.004" neck tension @ 0.2245" bullet diameter. 77 SMK seated to 2.250-2.255" COAL, depending on how ticky you want to be with calipers and QA/QC.

That is it, and that is enough for almost any precision purpose the AR can achieve.

-Nate

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    natdscott said:
    Here's the easy button, with all the usual caveats about you blowing off your hand not being my fault: 24.0 grains RE-15. Remington 7.5BR seated 0.002-4" below flush. Lake City or Winchester casings sized to get 0.003-0.004" neck tension @ 0.2245" bullet diameter. 77 SMK seated to 2.250-2.255" COAL, depending on how ticky you want to be with calipers and QA/QC.

Same bullet & charge weight, but substituting Varget for RL15, also works very well.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Varget is usually better left a little short of that...about 23.5 grains...for the AR. But yeah, Varget is another easy button. It's just a dirty bi@#$.

-Nate

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Varget is usually better left a little short of that...about 23.5 grains...for the AR. But yeah, Varget is another easy button. It's just a dirty bi@#$.

-Nate

I was under the impression that RL15 loads are usually .5 grains lighter than Varget loads (in looking at the "go-to" service rifle loads anyway). Learn something new everyday!

I've loaded nothing but Varget in everything from hunting to across the course to Palma loads, but I got a 5 lb jug of RL15 to try next year before I left Perry a few weeks ago. What are the known advantages over varget, other than cleaner burning? It's a bit cooler burning/easier on barrels, isn't it?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom