• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    What's the best I can expect to pay for 1000 rounds or more? Seems like $.35 is about the best I can find online. I haven't been to the 1500 for awhile but I used to remember pretty decent bulk pricing. Can anyone confirm?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I haven't seen any ammo pricing at a gun show that competes with most of the bulk online sites in a long time.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I always look at the FPS ratings. Just buying junk 10mm kind of negates the reasons we have this caliber. JMHO of course.

Other than a video I watched once that talked about "the good old days" of 10mm loads, I don't know what FPS is good (and I've been eyeing a couple of 10mm guns). What's the range you look for? The $.90 a round Hornady says 1180, the S&B 1164 and the Prvi 1115. Sig Elite ($.51) comes in at 1250 while Federal, PMC and CCI come in below 1100.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Rem. UMC green box runs 1150 FPS with decent muzzle. It is my plinking round with the 10mm's

Underwood has some really serious stuff reasonably priced that stops the clocks at 1550 out of a 5" barrel and better from my 6"

Make sure the pistols you are looking at are up to the job at hand. 10mm is a serious round.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Rem. UMC green box runs 1150 FPS with decent muzzle. It is my plinking round with the 10mm's

Underwood has some really serious stuff reasonably priced that stops the clocks at 1550 out of a 5" barrel and better from my 6"

Make sure the pistols you are looking at are up to the job at hand. 10mm is a serious round.

Very true. That Underwood stuff, and some Buffalo Bore loads, can be intense!

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    For bulk ammo right now look at Freedom Munitions. They are clearancing a bunch of ammo that appears to be just cosmetically damaged. I think I saw 10mm for somewhere in the range of $.25/rd

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    If this is for a Glock 20, you could also consider buying a 40 cal conversion barrel and shooting cheap 40 ammo. That's what I have done since cheap 10mm is barely a tick above cheap 40 (see above). No new magazines, extractor, etc. needed.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    If this is for a Glock 20, you could also consider buying a 40 cal conversion barrel and shooting cheap 40 ammo. That's what I have done since cheap 10mm is barely a tick above cheap 40 (see above). No new magazines, extractor, etc. needed.

I'd probably shoot some of it through the 20 but it's mostly for the Vector. I don't need 1500fps for the range (I don't think) so I'm looking for something inexpensive to sight in a new red dot and use the hot stuff if SHTF.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers

I'd be worried about throwing something that hot into a plastic gun.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'd probably shoot some of it through the 20 but it's mostly for the Vector. I don't need 1500fps for the range (I don't think) so I'm looking for something inexpensive to sight in a new red dot and use the hot stuff if SHTF.

I dont run the hot stuff all the time either but you need to verify how it runs in the gun. Also POI once you set up the optic.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thanks CM!

When comparing different options, is it better to compare the FPS or the muzzle energy?

For instance, the Sellier & Bellot 180gr is rated at 1164FPS & 543 lb-ft, according to Target Sport USA. Liberty Ammunition has a 60gr round that is rated at 2400FPS & 780FPE (Joules). Wildly different FPS, but the energy (when converted to the same units) should be quite close to each other.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks CM!

When comparing different options, is it better to compare the FPS or the muzzle energy?

For instance, the Sellier & Bellot 180gr is rated at 1164FPS & 543 lb-ft, according to Target Sport USA. Liberty Ammunition has a 60gr round that is rated at 2400FPS & 780FPE (Joules). Wildly different FPS, but the energy (when converted to the same units) should be quite close to each other.

I have some of the Liberty insanely fast offerings for my ACPs. They are pretty awesome when touched off in the last stall against the wall indoors. I do not know the formula's involved but the seriously light round my not carry the muzzle like the 180 gr. I have no real answer here. I am sure some more knowledgeable than I will chime in with the right math.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have some of the Liberty insanely fast offerings for my ACPs. They are pretty awesome when touched off in the last stall against the wall indoors. I do not know the formula's involved but the seriously light round my not carry the muzzle like the 180 gr. I have no real answer here. I am sure some more knowledgeable than I will chime in with the right math.

That just makes me want to order a box. The specs remind me of a 10mm version of the 22TCM.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Thanks CM!

Energy is a a function of the mass of the bullet and the velocity. The basic formula is bullet mass times velocity squared divided by two. Higher velocity, lower mass rounds lose energy quicker than lower velocity, higher mass rounds especially in tissue. The heavier bullet load will penetrate more deeply, possibly too deeply and the lighter one may not penetrate enough depending on your intended use. As a general rule, it is probably best to avoid ammo that is too far to either extreme(velocity or mass) for serious work. Solid copper bullets like that in the Liberty ammo mitigate that to some extent.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Energy is a a function of the mass of the bullet and the velocity. The basic formula is bullet mass times velocity squared divided by two. Higher velocity, lower mass rounds lose energy quicker than lower velocity, higher mass rounds especially in tissue. The heavier bullet load will penetrate more deeply, possibly too deeply and the lighter one may not penetrate enough depending on your intended use. As a general rule, it is probably best to avoid ammo that is too far to either extreme(velocity or mass) for serious work. Solid copper bullets like that in the Liberty ammo mitigate that to some extent.

The design of the liberty bullet is unique. There is little mass as you say will possibly not get the work done. It is a flying hollow cone basically.
    We popped some melons with a few this summer. Impressive.

Top Bottom