• ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Hi all -
    Just thought I'd share and experience from flying last month.
    I'm a somewhat new reloader (about 3.5 yrs), and as such, I like to gather whatever brass I can in rounds that I shoot.
    Recently, I was visiting family in Utah and we had gone shooting. I gathered the .45 acp and .223 brass. Then, when I flew home I only took a carry-on, and wanted to bring the brass home with me.
    Turns out that it's totally fine per TSA regulations. This is form their website (you have to search under "shell casings"). It flagged the X-ray machine, and they had to inspect the bag - totally expected and fine.
    So, I took a printout with me, but luckily I got a well-informed TSA supervisor who knew exactly what they were. She verified that none of them were live rounds, and then sent me on my way. She even said, "Oh, it's kind of like recycling." I chuckled in agreement and went on my way. Overall, a good experience.

"Shell Casings
    Empty shell casings are allowed in carry-on bag as long as the projectile is no longer intact. They are allowed only if the primer has been removed or has been discharged. If the projectile is attached & the powder has been drilled out, it is considered a replica and not allowed in carry-on."

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I flew all the way to Germany with a round of .40 in my carry-on. I, of course, left it in Germany.

Kut (knows the TSA is worthless)

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    When I got chosen for the extra screening they did a explosive residue test on my hands, wonder if handing empty cases would cause a positive on this test?

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    When I got chosen for the extra screening they did a explosive residue test on my hands, wonder if handing empty cases would cause a positive on this test?

I've heard from at least 3 individual TSA agents that gun powder residue (on hands, from shooting rifles and handguns) dies not trip their screening sensor.
    This seems stupid to me, but, I guess the TSA knows what they're doing....
    STRONG PURPLE IMPLIED IN LAST SENTENCE

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I flew all the way to germany and back with a live .45 round in my bags. Completely unknown to me, and apparently to everywhere I went because I found it when I got home and unpacked.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Mother dearest got detained in India. Apparently they looked like they had money and so some one popped a bullet in her bag. Later she was selected for a search and surprise! A bullet came up. It was all a scheme to extort money from my parents. Ill have to ask her for more details..

Top Bottom