• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    All I can say is that you'd better plan on shooting groups with it offhand, unless you don't mind getting the bejeebers knocked out of you from the bench!

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    wow... that is a cool round.
    Never shot one, but I'd love to hear some reports as you find a load that it likes.
    Does it shoot a 400 gr bullet at about 2200fps? or a 450 gr bullet at about 1900 fps?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Just bought one, anybody got a pet load that they would like to share?

Is your rifle a CZ or a Ruger? What kind of pet load do you want, [STRIKE]a pleasant [/STRIKE][STRIKE]a relatively pleasant [/STRIKE]a not too brutal target shooting load or a full on stop a charging pachyderm load? For the former I would drop down to 350 grain bullets and stay at or close to the recommended starting loads. For the latter here are some suggestions. I have been working up some full on loads for mine with Hornady blemished 400 grain bullets based on the loads listed in the link but it has been a slow process as I can only take about 4-5 shots at a setting.

wow... that is a cool round.
    Never shot one, but I'd love to hear some reports as you find a load that it likes.
    Does it shoot a 400 gr bullet at about 2200fps? or a 450 gr bullet at about 1900 fps?

The standard was/is a 400 gr. bullet at 2300-2400 fps, but the case is absolutely massive and developed in a time when cordite, which was both bulky and not very temperature stable compared to modern powders, was the primary propellant so pressures were kept relatively low (47,000) to ensure easy case extraction(important in dangerous game hunting situations) and to prevent blown rifles. Modern loads in modern rifles can push a 400 grain bullet to 2600 fps and a 450 to 2300-2400 fps without pushing things too much. However, this is approaching .416 Weatherby performance and beyond what .416 bullets are designed for.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Nice historical lesson, two70.
    There's a reason why many a PH in Africa regards the old Rigby as superior to .458 Winchester and so many other rounds, especially for those who want to carry a bolt action instead of an expensive double.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    I want a full blown stop a charging overgrown gorilla load. Right now Im thinking a 350 gr Barnes TTSX as fast as I can push it. What is the fastest expanding bullet available in 416?

According to that article Im guessing the 3 fastest expanders would be the 350 gr hawk, then the speer , then the barnes ttsx. I load a lot of TTSX in other calibers because the accuracy is just so consistent, with the more then adequate case capacity I think it maybe possible to get that bullet up to 2700 fps, would you agree?

Btw twp70 thanks for sharing the article, very helpful.

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    You're welcome. Given the case capacity and the strength of the CZ 550 action I think 2700 fps with a 350 shouldn't be that hard. Just start low and work up carefully. The TTSX is exactly what I would choose if I ever use mine for a serious purpose. It is flat enough shooting to handle plains game at 200-300 yards but still has the punch to handle the big, mean stuff at close range. They seem to work better the harder you push them too.

That is a very nice rifle! I love the big CZ's of which I own two, the one in .416 Rigby with the Euro style stock and a short barreled .458 with laminated stock. The single set triggers are pretty sweet even though they are not very practical on the big boomers.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Nice historical lesson, two70.
    There's a reason why many a PH in Africa regards the old Rigby as superior to .458 Winchester and so many other rounds, especially for those who want to carry a bolt action instead of an expensive double.

Thanks. Yeah the .458 Win was much maligned for erratic performance due largely to the powders available when it was released. Still, even with the performance issues the .458 has probably taken more big, dangerous stuff in Africa than anything else. It was the most common choice for the various game departments to arm personnel for culling work due almost entirely to the fact that Model 70's were of high quality and relatively inexpensive. With modern powders the .458 Win achieves the original performance specs relatively easily and has narrowed the gap between it and the longer .458 Lott.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    I shot a 416 Rigby CZ 550 mag with the Euro stock today, iron sights, with Hornady 400 gr DGS solids. Shot it offhand, recoil was impressive.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I shot a 416 Rigby CZ 550 mag with the Euro stock today, iron sights, with Hornady 400 gr DGS solids. Shot it offhand, recoil was impressive.

Reminds me of a line from an old Patrick McManus "Exit Laughing" piece I read decades ago titled "The Sharps," in which a kid fired a heavy caliber Sharps rifle with such stout recoil that after having fired it, he said "By the way, has anyone seen my shoulder lying around here?"

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

The Euro style stock is supposed to help reduce recoil since it is designed to direct recoil down and away from your face. This has not been my experience though, it does seem recoil down and back which seems to make the recoil worse for me than big rifles that recoil mostly straight back. I haven't shot the .416 Rigby in a American style stock for direct comparison but I have shot a Model 70 in .416 Remington, a normal stocked CZ in .458 Win Mag, and a .416 Ruger, all of which seemed to recoil substantially less.

Reminds me of a line from an old Patrick McManus "Exit Laughing" piece I read decades ago titled "The Sharps," in which a kid fired a heavy caliber Sharps rifle with such stout recoil that after having fired it, he said "By the way, has anyone seen my shoulder lying around here?"

"Kills on one end and maims on the other" is the expression that comes to mind with mine, lol.

ilcaveman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    elizabeth
    I have a CZ550 416 Rigby also, it kicks like a mule. Take off the recoil pad and there is a pre drilled hole for recoil reducers. I put one in mine and it helps a little.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    Impressive as in 3 shots was all I wanted. Im a stout fella, 5 11- 340 and shoot a lot of big guns for fun but this was in a whole new league over my 375 HH or my 45-70 guide gun with heavy loads

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    .416 needs a paper patch and a settled charge of black. Oh yeah, and a couple of buffalo to stop it!
    :)

Top Bottom