• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    It seems as if I always saying something about a problem I have discovered that "someone needs to invent a solution to". Handloading is not exception.

I can think of these off the bat, but I am sure I will remember more later.

Things I want:

1) A sizing/decapping die where the decapping pin comes in and out easily, or at maybe even retractable. I have had situations where I primed a case, but for one reason or another, it did not make it all the way through the progressive press to become a cartridge. Most of these are already sized, but not always.

2) A solution that deactivates live primers. (And no, WD-40, soaking in vinegar or soaking in water do not really work.)

3) A "safe" vacuum cleaner for smokeless powder.

What else ya got?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Things I want,

3) A "safe" vacuum cleaner for smokeless powder...

I can envision a solution here.
    A wet vac that utilizes a water curtain would do the trick.

Necessity is the mother of invention.
    Create a need, and someone will invent a solution.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN

Just use a fire place vacuum...They have a finer filter to catch ash and are fire resistant. They can be had on Amazon for around $60.00.:dunno:

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    1) Dillon sizer de-priming die
    Snap ring on top, and you can pull the pin

Interesting. I use Redding Competition sizing dies, and have used Lee in the past as well, and they are both a serious pain to remove or adjust the pin. I will check this out. Thanks.

Just use a fire place vacuum...They have a finer filter to catch ash and are fire resistant. They can be had on Amazon for around $60.00.:dunno:

Seriously? I have never heard of this. All I ever hear is "Don't use a vacuum cleaner on spilled powder or it will ignite". I wonder why no one has ever mentioned this before.

Do you use it for powder yourself?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Interesting. I use Redding Competition sizing dies, and have used Lee in the past as well, and they are both a serious pain to remove or adjust the pin. I will check this out. Thanks.

My experience with the Lee dies has been that the pin is often too easily moved and won't stay put when encountering slightly stubborn primers.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    A multi caliber bullet puller (no switching of parts) that works in a single stage press. The case holder would be multi caliber, too. Yeah, even after all these many years of reloading, I still have to pull bullets once in a while. Occasionally I have to pull bullets of ammo I bought, as well. I don't mind all that much using the kinetic (hammer type) bullet puller, but it is slow and the powder gets mixed in with the bullet. When the bullet is a lubed cast bullet, it pretty much ruins the powder.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Like one of these? They are from the 70s but apparently are still a thing. Though I think the possibility of static charges in the tube are still a possibility.

Rainbow® Cleaning System

Seriously? I have never heard of this. All I ever hear is "Don't use a vacuum cleaner on spilled powder or it will ignite". I wonder why no one has ever mentioned this before.

Do you use it for powder yourself?

There is a company hawking a quick change die on facebook. supposedly a super hard pin that cant bend. Instead of a clamped pin that could slide, it was shaped like a roofing nail with a large flat hat that sits under a screw cap. Cant find it now, but they are black.

I think the other possibility is static electricity charges possible. an arc in housedust is no biggie. Not so for powder.

My experience with the Lee dies has been that the pin is often too easily moved and won't stay put when encountering slightly stubborn primers.

There is a fine line between clamped too tight and not tight enough on those things. Luckily the pins are only a couple bucks when you bend one.

And they need to come up with a poop powered fan.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    There are vacuums made for flammable powders but they are expensive industrial items. You might try an anti static keyboard vac for small spills.

Personally, I've vacuumed small spills (a few grains) several times over the years with no problems. I just use a soft paint brush for countertop spills and this could be used on hard surface floors as well.

If you are spilling large quantities of powder on carpeting...stop it!:)

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Like one of these? They are from the 70s but apparently are still a thing. Though I think the possibility of static charges in the tube are still a possibility.

Rainbow® Cleaning System

There is a company hawking a quick change die on facebook. supposedly a super hard pin that cant bend. Instead of a clamped pin that could slide, it was shaped like a roofing nail with a large flat hat that sits under a screw cap. Cant find it now, but they are black.

I think the other possibility is static electricity charges possible. an arc in housedust is no biggie. Not so for powder.

There is a fine line between clamped too tight and not tight enough on those things. Luckily the pins are only a couple bucks when you bend one.

And they need to come up with a poop powered fan.

I remember those Rainbow vacuums, my parents had one, may still have one.

IMO, it really depends on the quantity of powder your are trying to pick up. Small amounts in a large space(like a vacuum) are not likely to be a huge problem. I certainly haven't blown myself up yet using a shop vac but YMMV. Large quantities on the other hand....

Yes, it is a very fine line between staying put and no give at all.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Get yourself a vacuum with a hose attachment.

Get yourself some hosiery.

Stretch said hosiery over the nozzle of the hose attachment & secure with rubber bands.

Turn vacuum on.

Powder will stick to the hosiery. Once it's "full", you point the nozzle over a receptacle, turn off the power, let the powder fall into the receptacle.

Also works for tiny lost springs.

Top Bottom