Recommend good bullet for 44 mag to deer hunt with.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I had planned to use the Hornady XTP 240 grain. Only problem is it says right on the box, recommended muzzle velocity 700 to 1500 fps. My loading data for a 240 grain bullet is over 1700 fps.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The XTP is one of the tougher hollowpoint bullets, so it will almost certainly hold together for deer at those higher velocities.

As an alternative, you could bypass your concerns about bullet fragmentation by going with a premium bonded bullet designed to hold together under more demanding circumstances - https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/17353

A second alternative would be to go with a partition-type bullet designed to expand reliably without allowing the entire core to separate - https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/71438

The third alternative would be to go with a bullet that takes the lead core totally out of the equation, while having reliable expansion without worries about fragmentation - https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/27677

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I have killed deer with those XTPs out of my muzzleloader at ~1900 fps. They worked but expansion was a little more explosive than I prefer. My (limited) experience with .44 mag rifles for deer is that most bullets could use a bit more expansion but if you are concerned about too much expansion with the XTPs Hornady does make a tougher XTP designed for rifles and muzzleloaders. The Barnes .44 mag bullet is also another good option.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Terminal ballistic tests by Dr. Gary K. Roberts (Letterman Army Institute of Research) demonstrated the Hornady XTP 300 gr. was the best performer. That said, the old Elmer Keith 240 gr. cast lead SWC on top of 24 gr. 2400 has taken many, many large animals.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Thanks for all the input. I found some Nosler jacketed soft points I think I will try. They are in my Midway cart with a 44 cal bullet mold so I can pour my own, and a Kahr mag. Waiting for the mag to come back into stock and free shipping over $100. I have a box of 200 grain XTPs. Not sure what to do with. Probably load 'em up for yotes or something.

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    I would also go with the Elmer Keith. He knew a little about revolvers and cast bullets. The xtr isn't a bad bullet either but I prefer hard cast.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The Hornady is a good bullet. I use cast mostly except with Marlin Microgroove barrels, never have gotten really good performance out of cast in those things even though I've put a lot of time in it.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    240 xtp will perform very well at rifle velocities. They've always held together well for me whether out of a revolver, muzzleloading pistol, rifle, or stoutly charged muzzleloading rifle. I've killed deer anywhere from 10 yds. to 140 yds. with that projectile, and have no complaints.

Last edited:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    The Hornady is a good bullet. I use cast mostly except with Marlin Microgroove barrels, never have gotten really good performance out of cast in those things even though I've put a lot of time in it.

My favorite deer rifle is my 1894 Marlin Cowboy. Winchester factory ammo has always worked very well, but I want to "roll my own". This is why I am looking for jacketed bullets. I also plan to try some cast out of my Rossi model 92. I already have a bunch of cast loads ready to go. No hurries though, because this fall I will be using the old 6.5x55 for the first time. Can't wait!!

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    So what's wrong with the 300gr FTX? If the 240 is too fast, just go heavier, right?

With most of my shots 50 yards or less, that might not be a bad idea. Have you ever shot that weight? Is there much difference in recoil?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    With most of my shots 50 yards or less, that might not be a bad idea. Have you ever shot that weight? Is there much difference in recoil?

I've shot the 300 grain .452 XTP at max load level out of my .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk revolver, and its recoil was impressive, while not painful.
    If you can handle max loads with 240 grain loads, the difference in recoil with the 300 grain bullet shouldn't be too bad, but you'll still notice a difference.
    Maybe you could buy a smaller (20 round) box of them to see how they group and to get an idea how hard they push your recoil pad back into your shoulder so you won't be out too much money if you should find that you or your rifle doesn't like them.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    So what's wrong with the 300gr FTX? If the 240 is too fast, just go heavier, right?

I missed what rifle is being used. The Marlins with a 1 in 38 twist allegedly will not stabilize those heavy 300s. I have no personal experience with them.

I also use the 240 xtp with good results.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I missed what rifle is being used. The Marlins with a 1 in 38 twist allegedly will not stabilize those heavy 300s. I have no personal experience with them.

I also use the 240 xtp with good results.

+1

I have a Marlin 1894 and with all the web surfing I have done it is in general agreement that 300gr is a no go and 270gr is about the max for the marlins.

This is one of the reasons I picked up my Thompson Contender was to run subsonic 300gr 44 mags. for my current hunting location.

Last edited:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I used these factory loads from my H&R Handi Rifle as well as my Marlin .44mag and both killed deer out to 125 yards easily. Was one of the most accurate loads I have ever shot.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/hornady-44-mag-jhp-xtp-240-grain-20-rounds?a=1590791

My wife bought me a box of those a few years ago for Christmas. They were not as accurate out of my Marlin. And something else, the cases did not fit in my shell holder when I tried to reload them.

Top Bottom