• doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Don't I feel like a dummy!
    I bought 3000 rounds of Perfecta 9mm for 20 cents/round.
    2k from an individual and 1k from Palmetto.
    I just found out Palmetto has CCI BLAZER 9MM 115GR FMJ ALUMINUM CASE for 16 cents on sale.
    I could have saved $40/1000 = $120 savings.

One of the reasons is that I was told you couldn't use steel. (and I thought that meant aluminum as well for some reason)
    I thought that meant steel casings, but come to find out that it means a steel bullet!
    Good grief, why would you tell that to a newb w/o explaining?
    Who would use a steel bullet: that's "armor-piercing" cartridges!
    I'm probably exposing my ignorance here. :stickpoke:

Now I'll have to figure out what to look out for in the bullet part, I just "assumed" the bullet was lead or copperish and never dreamed you could get ahold of a steel projectile.

Is there a reason to stay away from steel casings or aluminum?
    Are they OK for the range but don't use them for CC, b/c they have a higher incident of FTF?

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    9mm brass cases aren't worth much, but if you pick them up you can sell them after you fire them. Help recoup some of your cost. I find brass cased ammo to be generally better quality than steel cased, so don't feel bad. Aluminum cased is sort of in between brass and steel cased in my experience. I reload, so I only use aluminum cased when I'm shooting in a place where I can't pick up my empties.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have no intention of picking up brass or reloading.
    I just want to know whether its ok to use steel or brass casings.
    The verdict is mixed: some say it hurts the gun, others say no harm.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    aluminum cased ammunition is fine for range or plinking use. However, as someone mentioned above, the aluminum cased seems to be of lesser value. (typically)

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I don't shoot anything but brass. A lot of shooters use steel and aluminum case and don't have problems, some do. I just prefer brass. Shoot some and let your guns and yourself decide what works .

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Nothing wrong with aluminum cased ammo, but it's like any other ammo, some brands are good and some are less so. I like shooting Federal aluminum cased ammo. I find it to be reasonably accurate and not as dirty as some other brands I've tried. YMMV.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Appreciate the input: keep it coming.

What is best between steel and aluminium?
    Or, which one does the less harm or is less of a potential issue?

Or, are they essentially the same?
    I don't care about reloading, but when I read about harm done to your cylinder: that gets my attention.

I could research this online, but I put more stock into what is said here.
    If you are afraid to say anything since it might be a controversial subject: pm me. :coffee:
    I am in a car club (S2KCA) and sometimes that is done to avoid the extreme people. :laugh:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I cannot recall which manufacturer it was, but I'm sure I've seen a disclaimer warning in an owners manual warning against using Blazer ammo specifically.
    Something about not enough chamber support.

Wish I could remember which it was...

I'll use steel cased ammo if it's available.
    Ive never purchased aluminum cased ammo.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    From my experience and from what I have read, aluminum is fine. I have used it with no issues. It is softer than steel so it has some give.
    Steel can start an argument. I don't use it in anything but my AKs. I have read several people that say it will cause your extractor to wear out earlier than brass. Steel is hard so it makes sense. To me, I don't save enough by using steel to risk my rifle/pistol.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I cannot recall which manufacturer it was, but I'm sure I've seen a disclaimer warning in an owners manual warning against using Blazer ammo specifically.
    Something about not enough chamber support.

Wish I could remember which it was...

I'll use steel cased ammo if it's available.
    Ive never purchased aluminum cased ammo.

Wow! I had the impression that CCI Blazer was one of the "good guys."
    Thanks for the heads-up.
    Now I'm wondering if I have any: I'll look. I thought I might have some 22s in CCI Blazer.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Wow! I had the impression that CCI Blazer was one of the "good guys."
    Thanks for the heads-up.
    Now I'm wondering if I have any: I'll look. I thought I might have some 22s in CCI Blazer.

Blazer Brass is great ammo, just the aluminum/steel that's not so great. I use Blazer Brass in all my pistols without issue.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Yup, plenty of armchair supposition that steel case will wear out a gun prematurely because the case is almost as hard as the gun parts (cases are still a softer alloy, but harder than AL or brass). Real world is hit-or-miss with some "probably caused by-" but little proof. Generally, steel and AL cased ammo is the cheapest around, usually cheap case, cheap primer (over-hard, more duds), cheap powder (dirty, inconsistent, temp-sensetive), cheap bullet (steel core (cheaper than lead or brass), less consistent dimensionally (between bullets), less uniform (each bullet isn't as close to a perfect circle/curve).

Steel and AL can have neck tension issues, not an issue with most guns but my Bond Bullpup will pull the cases off the bullets (and dump the powder all over). Less catastrophic but this will lead to inconsistent pressures and accuracy round to round.

Many ranges ban steel cases as a blanket so they don't have to argue with customers whether it's the case or the projectile that are steel: steel in the bullet does BAD things to bullet catchers.
    Many ranges ban AL cases because they have to be manually sorted from the brass that can be sold to reloaders.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    One thing to consider is WHERE you want to shoot your ammo, many indoor ranges will not let you shoot steel or aluminum cased ammo at their range.
    WHY because they sell that brass you don't pick up, and would have to spend a lot of time sorting all that spent brass for steel and aluminum cartridges.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Steel is easy enough to sort out with a magnet, even the brass-clad steel. That aluminum, though. Have to do that manually as far as I know.

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Aluminum is fine in most locked breech firearms. The problems occur with the open bolt subguns shooting it. The aluminum isn't as strong as brass or steel and can rupture causing some damage to guns and people. I don't shoot it or keep it around because I have open bolt subguns and don't want any mixed in. If it was just the FN Hi power or other locked breech pistol I think it would be fine.

Frank

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I have shot thousands of rounds of Steel Tula 45 out of my 1911s and there is zero difference in wear or accuracy from day one. Still shoots where I point it. And it is more accurate in my gun than Federal Champion Brass or WWB.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have no intention of picking up brass or reloading.
    I just want to know whether its ok to use steel or brass casings.
    The verdict is mixed: some say it hurts the gun, others say no harm.

Steel does wear the extractor faster than brass. However, an extractor is a maintenance item anyway, just like a recoil spring. If you shoot enough to even worry about the extra wear is another matter. Some guns will be more tolerant, but even the softest aren't likely to have an issue until thousands of rounds have been fired. By the time you need an extractor, you've probably saved enough on steel ammo to buy one...

As long as you're shooting something that still has readily available replacement parts, I'd not be overly worried about it.

Top Bottom