Steel Case Ammo-Any feasable use for the empties?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    Just as the topic stated. We're looking to start reloading this fall/winter and i've heard mixed responses to this question from a flat out NO on reloading, to a YES but extremely difficult. So which is it? Details? It's all Tul steelcase, boxer primed 9mm and .223 if that makes a difference.

Also, are ALL brass cases reloadable? If not, specifically Armscor, Rem UMC, Win White Box, Blazer Brass and PMC?

I get that the amount of possible reloads is dependant on the quality of brass but can I get at least one reload from these "economy" brands or should I just pitch them with (likely) the steel case?

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    And as an aside-I specifically stated ANY feasable uses in the title because there's going to be some folks with whacky ideas and uses outside the reloading stratum, and I love those people.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Both myself and a friend have reloaded Wolf 223 & 45. Boxer primed. We started to get split case mouths with the 223 on the second reload. We both have a good supply of brass not and mostly stick with those. I think we reloaded the 45 brass 3 times and quit after that. No real problems with either one. I don't do anything different from normal brass.

I have some first reloads of both put away in ammo cans for use in places that I can't recover my real brass. Better QC and accuracy than the factory Wolf.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I have seen a model helicopter made up of spent casings. It's cool as **** and required a lot of work.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    So from what I gather, it's safe to assume all casings are reloadable? Steel and Brass? Irrespective of brands?

Boxer primed cases are reloadable, Berdan primed cases are only if you have a supply of Berdan primers and a way to deprime them. Steel cases are reloadable but they are tough on dies, likely won't last as long and aren't really worth the trouble. All of the brass cases you mentioned should be good to go, although some are better than others. You really shouldn't have to worry about wearing out the 9mm brass and the .223 will last several loadings if you don't load them to max. They will last even longer if you anneal the cases after reloading several times.

OHOIAN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    NE OHIO
    IMHO Steel and aluminum cases are just not worth dealing with, especially for the new reloader. You may get a variety of problems that can make reloading a headache. Including but not limited to scratched dies, case neck cracks, improper neck tension, short case life , and so on. An experienced reloader knows how to recognize and deal with some of these problems, but a novice not so much.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Agreed. Steel is reloadable, but can cause issues and won't last as long, at all. Too much pain to be worth dealing with. Range brass is too plentiful, and .45 once fired brass can be had on Etsy stupid cheap. Get a few thousand, keep collecting as you shoot, you'll run out sometime never.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    About a year or so ago, I read an article in one of the gun magazines about this. He went specifically into how he did it to make it more practical. Good article, wish I could remember the magazine though. :dunno:

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Necessity being the mother of invention the VC reloaded steel cases with home made powder.
    Hmm, guess you could say that's another plus on the reliability of AK's.

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    Yeah I don't know that I'm all that desperate, and I figure the steel cases will be pretty rusted by the time I am. Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll probably just pitch the steel but it's good to know all of the brass is good to go, considering I have it all mixed together in an ammo can.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Just as the topic stated. We're looking to start reloading this fall/winter and i've heard mixed responses to this question from a flat out NO on reloading, to a YES but extremely difficult. So which is it? Details? It's all Tul steelcase, boxer primed 9mm and .223 if that makes a difference.

Also, are ALL brass cases reloadable? If not, specifically Armscor, Rem UMC, Win White Box, Blazer Brass and PMC?

I get that the amount of possible reloads is dependant on the quality of brass but can I get at least one reload from these "economy" brands or should I just pitch them with (likely) the steel case?

My favorite laying them down on their side on range shelf and shooting them in the center of the bottom then its off to the recycle bin.

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    If I'm understanding you correctly, wcd, that actually aounds like a blast. From 5 feet away lol. Reminiscent of playing duck hunt back in the late 80's by putting the gun up against the screen.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    IMHO Steel and aluminum cases are just not worth dealing with, especially for the new reloader. You may get a variety of problems that can make reloading a headache. Including but not limited to scratched dies, case neck cracks, improper neck tension, short case life , and so on. An experienced reloader knows how to recognize and deal with some of these problems, but a novice not so much.

Agreed. Steel is reloadable, but can cause issues and won't last as long, at all. Too much pain to be worth dealing with. Range brass is too plentiful, and .45 once fired brass can be had on Etsy stupid cheap. Get a few thousand, keep collecting as you shoot, you'll run out sometime never.

I agree 110%. Possible- yes. Practical-not in my opinion. Plus, it adds WAY to much 'other' things to worry about for a new reloader.

Like the others said, get going with a decent supply of decent brass and you'll be fine.

YMMV.

:ingo:

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I'll differ with the masses and say that reloading most of the steel cases available in the US with Boxer priming is not only possible but simple, easy and worth the trouble. A friend has loaded many many thousands of 223 cases for his HK 23E and had absolutely zero issues with the cases. They load as easily as brass, don't scratch the dies or wear them any more than brass and he's loaded many of them more than 3 or 4 times. The hard part with his machinegun is that we are usually shooting it at machinegun shoots and recovering the brass is difficult. Wear on the cases is not a problem and cracked necks haven't been an issue. So that covers the 223 angle. I've run some of them through my rifles as well though I don't have a lot of 22's in my safe, at least overpowered 22s.

I've been loading 45 cal for a long time and have reloaded a lot of Wolf 45 cal boxer primed cases over the years. They load as easily as the brass with no more effort. I've yet to see any extra wear on the dies or any scratches for that matter. I used to run the stuff in my Thompsons and both the original Wolf ammo and the reloaded steel cases ran fine. I've never seen a cracked steel case and only toss them when the necks get squished or damaged. I've also been running them in my pistols for years with no problems.

I don't know of a lot of other steel cased ammo out there that was ever loaded with Boxer primers so I've not tried loading anything else. All of the Wolf 9mm I know of was berdan primed so I never tried them.

The steel or brass argument has been going on for many years and will likely never be settled for everyone. I have no issues with steel cases and use them in any cals I can get. The only real problem I've ever noted with the steel is the quality control issue on case capacities. The ammo is normally made with steel cases to save money and strategic materials so its not really intended for benchrest type shooting. I know of a few who have tried loading accurate ammo with steel cases and most military or commercial cases don't really pass the test. Most of us shooting lots of steel don't buy it for accuracy anyway. If I want one hole 100yd groups I buy Lapua brass and handload carefully. If I'm running one of the subbies or a belt fed I reach for the surplus steel cased ammo. If I find reloadable (Boxer) steel cases I reload them just like I do brass. Never a problem with either.

Just my thoughts based on experience loading and shooting since the 70s.

Frank

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    With the amount of brass pick-ups available, why bother!

Because I have 2 friends that I shoot with that both exclusively use steel 45 and don't reload. At least 200 rounds each, every time we go to the range. They pick up their brass and dump it in the bag with mine.

It reloads just fine for plinking ammo. I can use it when I shoot at places that don't allow me to pick up my brass when I finish. I get to keep and grow my real brass supply while still shooting at these places. Sometimes it's fun to load them up with some Gold Dot, XTP, or powder coated HP's. I like the strange looks people give them when they see what they are. I've had people ask me if Wolf was making self defense ammo now. Sometimes I'll :bs:them for a while. Sometimes it's just fun to do something different.

Lots of reasons.

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    The real question is why bother reloading at all? With the cost of ammo down and reloading supplies not reduced much its almost as cheap to buy new as it is to load it.
    On the other hand a lot of us load to get something the lawyers or bean counters won't allow ammo companies to sell. Maybe little more power, or a little less, fancy bullets or maybe cast stuff? Others load to fit the ammo to their particular firearms.

Steel cases don't cost anymore than brass and if they're available and you load then why not take advantage. I run them on my Square deal B and can't tell steel from brass when loading. The guns can't tell the difference so why not?

Frank

Top Bottom