• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Went kayaking today. River was low, tripped on rock dragging kayak, and took a plunge. I dried everything out and oiled up the pistol real good. Question for INGO is, would you retire the expensive self defense ammo to target ammo, or after drying good, reload in mags and carry it?

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I'm sure it is fine, but I would shoot it all at the range and start with fresh anyway, but that is just me.

"When in doubt, throw (shoot) it out."

Not worth the chance when your life depends on it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Went kayaking today. River was low, tripped on rock dragging kayak, and took a plunge. I dried everything out and oiled up the pistol real good. Question for INGO is, would you retire the expensive self defense ammo to target ammo, or after drying good, reload in mags and carry it?

I'd retire it. I had a speed strip go through the wash. They all fired fine, but do you want that nagging little "what if" voice taking up valuable brain time if things go sideways?

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I'd retire it. I had a speed strip go through the wash. They all fired fine, but do you want that nagging little "what if" voice taking up valuable brain time if things go sideways?

Sound advice. I have something else to ponder. I had to put down one of my Beagles a couple weeks ago. Not something I would recommend for the tender hearted. I cried like a baby afterwards and the whole time I was burying him. The thing I thought we could learn from this is, from top to bottom, his skull was only 4 to 5 inches. A 9mm Critical Defense 115 grain did not exit. It makes me wonder if this round is adequate to carry on a daily basis.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't I know that any 115 gr passes the full fbi protocol. If you can source some 147gr HST or Gold Dots, they are good to go.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Like BBI said, just to keep the little nagging voice at bay I would swap the ammo out --- but not throw it away.

I used to read concerns that getting some gun oil on ammo might somehow penetrate and disable the ammo. So one time I took three different "qualities" (of 9mm -- the cheapest aluminum-cased practice ammo, a brass-cased, more expensive FMJ, and some premium defensive ammo, and soaked 10 rounds of each in three different kinds of oil: a dedicated gun oil (don't remember the name but was likely militec-1), some motor oil I had on hand, and some Kroil penetrating oil. I left the ammo soaking completely covered in oil for a week, then tried firing them.

They all fired just fine. I doubt a brief dunk in fresh water is a bigger challenge that that.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    While I don't disagree with anything posted, I wonder if anyone has heard of any modern day quality self defense ammo being compromised by the elements, oil, etc?

Sagamore - One

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Near Bippus
    I recently did some testing for a friend on DRT , high priced , supposedly premium ammo in 40, 9mm, and 223. Wiped the top of 10 rounds with Break Free, 10 with Kroil, and after one week I had a 40 fail to fire. Break free had made the primer inert. At one time, most, if not all ammo was factory sealed. Now, even the top contenders are NOT ALWAYS sealed, Gold Dots for example. I go so far as to seal my own even if it appears to be factory sealed. Green Lock Tite works well.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Kroil is really special in the way that penetrates .0001 of an inch tolerances. " The oil that creeps" is what add says. Primers are pressed in but can imagine Kroil makes it way around any voids and keeps going. Not many oils made with those abilities.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I misread the title. I thought it was DRUNK on the river. I was going to tell my Turkey Run story about me and a buddy, 2 cases of beer and a canoe.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Agree with the hounding "what if" that would be in my head. I had a round of 9mm Speer gold dot sitting in my bathroom that fell in the toulet. I fished it out, marked it and set it aside. 3 months later, it fired fine.

Top Bottom