• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I am trying to work up a load for plinking in the backyard. I have 180 grain projectiles and H110 powder. Does anyone have a subsonic load recommendation for the components I have? I recognize a >200 grain projectile is better for subsonic shooting and other powders would probably work better, but I want to try and use what I have. Any help would be appreciated.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    H110 is typically not recommended for reduced loads because it has been known to detonate at reduced pressures. I don't personally know where the line is, but as you stated the heavier bullets may provide the necessary pressure while staying subsonic.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have not seen any 180 gr. subsonic loads for 300 BLK. The lightest projectile I've used with a subsonic load is 220 gr.

You can go subsonic with any weight, but you have to use appropriate powders. The lighter weight sub loads are actually at less risk of sticking a bullet in the bore.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I know Gemtech has some subs in the 180grain range... I can't help you specifically Que, I haven't used H110 and mainly just iilgun. However assuming you have a chrono just pick a charge to start at and work your way up or down (which ever way you need to go) until you are about happy with it. Then test a few and then throw the can on and have a go at it. I'm not sure what you are shooting at 180grains but it may be worth checking out palmetto projectiles. I've shot quite a bit of their stuff and it's awesome for subs. I think I've got like 15 cents a round in what I'm loading with their projectiles (brass is a scratch in my book). I've shot them all through a can and there hasn't been any leading or anything else that many worry about with a coated projectile.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    H110 is typically not recommended for reduced loads because it has been known to detonate at reduced pressures. I don't personally know where the line is, but as you stated the heavier bullets may provide the necessary pressure while staying subsonic.

+1 on this.

Everything I have read is don't reduce it by more than 10% the max charge.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Thanks, everybody. I'll probably load these at a standard charge and get some heavier bullets and the appropriate powder for some subsonic loads. I was really trying to avoid having to drive to the shop to get powder, but I'll be safe rather than sorry.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Well, I have PLENTY of that.

I don't know where to start with a 180, but with a 168 A-Max we used somewhere around 8 gns (8.4 if I remember correctly, but it's been a couple of years). Of course this was in an 16.25" H&R handi rifle. If you are shooting a semi-auto I don't know how they would cycle, but they were really quiet.

ETA: Hodgdon used to publish subsonic data with Titegroup. I don't know why they removed it, but it seems they have some data to go off of using CFE BLK.

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    While you can use any bullet weight you want it gets less and less simple to work up loads as you go lighter. The charge weights get down into the very small range and you need to use faster powders. H110 is a great powder for magnum pistol stuff when you can cram it in and compress lightly but its absolute crap for reduced charges. Its not so much an issue of blowing things up though it is possible but more an issue of really poor consistency with velocity. Its not a powder that likes much if any open space in the cartridge. Lil'gun is better for supersonic stuff than subs in my experience. AA1680, 4227, 2400 and others in that burn rate range seem to work really well for the heavier bullets like the 220-240 gr in the 300 though they'll start getting a bit inconsistent with bullets much lighter. I know of guys running 110-125 subs in the blackout but they are using much faster powders like unique, blue dot and even as fast as bullseye.
    When you work up your loads start with a charge that you know will be supersonic and work your way down to subsonic. Going the other way is an invitation to a stuck bullet. Even the lightweights can stick if the charge is too light and the difference between 1000fps and stuck isn't a lot by weight as you work.

Good luck

Frank

Top Bottom