• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I've been reloading rifle and pistol for a few years. I like doing it and I can generally do it cheaper than the cheap store stuff by about 50%. And it's a great wintertime hobby. But, I only shoot probably less than 5,000 rounds of pistol a year, and probably less than 500 rounds in my .308 bolt gun a year.

What I shoot a lot more of is 12 ga.

However, when I look into reloading shotgun, it seems like it's difficult to beat regular #8 boxes of Winchester, Federal or Remington at Walmart. I can get them about $.25 or less a round and even buying in bulk, it seems like the best I could do would be $.30 a round for reloads. If I can get hulls for free, I can get the cost down to about $.22 a shell. I'm not sure the minimal savings (if any!) is worth my time, although I do like reloading. But I like shooting more.

I'm only looking for shells that go bang and break the round orange birds. I don't need some super awesome recipe. For you shotgunners, are you saving money by reloading? And if so, do you mind sharing your cost and how you are doing it? It seems that it's easy to save when reloading metallic cartridge but I can't see how to save with shotshells.

(By the way, I'm not factoring in the cost of the equipment, the numbers above are strictly the component prices. I'm fine with buying the equipment if I can substantially save on each shell.)

Thanks!

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Looks like it costs me about $4.55 a box (25) to load 12 gauge, one-ounce loads. For 7/8oz, it is about $4.25. Sometimes you can find a sale for about $5.00/box. Not much savings, but I can tailor the load to what I am shooting. The 7/8oz loads save shot and that's all I need for skeet, for which I load #9 shot. I use 7/8oz loads for cowboy action, too. For trap, I usually use 1oz of #8, although lately I just us 7/8oz, cause that's what I have loaded. Now the saving goes way up when I load for my 28 gauge.

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Unless things change drastically I don't see reloading 12ga as a cost saving measure.
    You can improve pattern quality and tailor your shells to specific needs.
    You can also buy shells you need for specific purposes.
    I sold ALL my shotgun reloading stuff about 5 years ago because I can buy as cheap as I can reload.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This answers some questions for me. I've been toying with buying various MEC's when they are offered in the classifieds. The prepper in me says I still might.

Are there any noticeable savings to buying shells by the case?

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    You can always find deals on shells at the big box stores (7 to 9 shot). I reload not to save money (if you factor in your time), but to get the shells I want. 25lb leadshot is around 38 - 40 plus tax, so hard to save money with prices like that.
    Reloading is a hobby for me, it's relaxing (well until something goes wrong and you spill powder and shot).

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Thanks for the response, guys. You can currently buy all the 12 gauge 1 1/8 oz #8 at Walmart you want for $21 (including tax) per 100. No way I reload for $.21 a shell.

I'll stick with pistol and rifle.

Thanks for all the input--I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Dunham's has Remington game loads, .12 or .20 gauge on sale today and tomorrow for 17 cents per round, after rebate.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Unless I am loading high brass, heavy loads, no way it pays to reload .20 or .12 gauge
    Now .410, .28 or .10 gauge is another story.

TWEAKD4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    NE Indiana
    I was given my father-in-laws MEC shotgun reloading equipment and started looking into reloading. I came to the same conclusion as you, it was just so much cheaper to buy bulk packs at Walmart. The main cost increase seems to be the shot which has gotten very expensive since my father-in-law reloaded 30 years ago.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    This answers some questions for me. I've been toying with buying various MEC's when they are offered in the classifieds. The prepper in me says I still might.

Are there any noticeable savings to buying shells by the case?

if you are wanting SHTF reloader to set to the side might give this a thought.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013166090/lee-load-all-2-shotshell-press-12-gauge-2-3-4-3

I have one and have reloaded thousands of rounds through it...back when you could reload full house loads for $1.75 a box, works great and for $50.00 you can store it and not feel guilty about never using it.:dunno: I haven't used it in YEARS but still wont get rid of it for the same reason!

DFork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    Evansville
    If you don't care what you are shooting, then I wouldn't reload. However, your reloaded shells will be better than the bulk packs you get at Walmart. More like Gun Clubs or STS' or AA's. It is possible to get lead cheaper than 38-40$. You can obtain some reclaimed shot for less.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    If you don't care what you are shooting, then I wouldn't reload. However, your reloaded shells will be better than the bulk packs you get at Walmart. More like Gun Clubs or STS' or AA's. It is possible to get lead cheaper than 38-40$. You can obtain some reclaimed shot for less.

^^^This^^^

Reclaimed can be had for about $1 per pound in some places. I got an even better price back when ProFire was selling reclaimed shot here on INGO. Buying leftover components from estates and people who have given up reloading is a good way to get smaller quantities of stuff to try out and it's usually cheaper than retail too. I've reloaded with a variety of hulls and wads, but had to put a lot of time into researching recipes. Some combinations work really well and some not so well. I don't save a lot of money on my trap loads, but for me there is satisfaction in learning and in busting clays well with ammo that you loaded yourself.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I just bought a bunch of Gun Club's at Dicks for $5 a box. That's $.20 a round. I can't come close to that.

I really like reloading so I was looking for an excuse to do shotshells, which I shoot more than anything, but it boils down to not wanting to PAY to do it. I'd rather put that money into more skeet and sporting clays range time.

It's funny, because I have only a few cents into a 9mm round, when they are way more expensive at Walmart. I have all the free brass I want, powder and primers are just pennies and bullets ordered in bulk are super cheap as well. So, I can save serious money shooting 5k-10k a year. But what I really want to get cheap is shotgun shells and I just can't find a way to beat the factory prices.

If someone wanted to get a 100lbs or so of reclaimed lead, how much is that? What are the break points for discounts? Like 200 lbs? 500lbs?

Top Bottom