• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    I loaded up a ladder test with some 158 SWC and HP-38 (just happened to be what I have) and shot them at 25 yards. Hodgdon lists a starting load of 3.5 grains. I put together 5 rounds each in incremental charges and a decent crimp with mixed FCC and Win brass lit off by CCI SPP. All in all, the 3.5 gr load seemed to be the most consistent (three in a clover leaf and two 1/2 inch away almost on top of each other). The other loads had a more random spread, though two of them were not much larger overall. I am going to try it again without a crimp and a proper rest to see if there is much of a difference. They were shot out of a H&R .357 Mag with a home brew cut and crown job. I did not take the chrony out, but would guess the velocity is in the 900fps range. It still may be much for small game, but worse case scenario will be a fun light plinking load. If I could find an accurate 650-750 fps load I would probably try it on some smaller critters with a good backstop.

Is HP-38 position sensitive? I was wondering if that may have been an issue as well. I may try some Trail Boss loads again, but this time with a crimp. My first try with TB and cast was not very good. I am still learning though. I prefer using the Mag cases, but do have a few several times fired .38 cases if I need to go that route. Also, with this being a single shot without worry of feed issues, would any of you recommend regular wadcutters? I would be willing to try them, or even some slow lightweight HP.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I did some 357 cases up with some Unique and Hornaday soft lead pills. It was like shooting a cap gun.

Top Bottom