Loading some 124 Grn XTP in 9 mm - What OAL?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Okay, here is the scenario. I am reloading some 9mm ammo to fire in my Lone Wolf conversion barrel (23 > 9) and trying out some XTP 124 grain bullets. I did not find a specific recipe for the XTP, so I figured that the data I found for 124 Gold Dot HP (GDHP) would suffice. It suggests 5.8 grains of Unique at 1.12 OAL. (This is listed as 1180 fps)

So here is my dilemma. The 1.120 is too long to chamber in the LWD barrel. I would need to reduce the length to about 1.000 to fit the same as the regular round nosed bullets. I checked several other commercial loads, some as long as 1.12, but because of the bullet shape (ogive?) they fit fine. The XTP seems to have the straight sides that extend further along than all the others. So I assume that it is loaded at a shorter OAL?

So can I just reduce the OAL without adjusting the charge? Has anyone loaded XTP bullets and had this issue, and if so, how did you adjust?

I know that I can send the barrel into LWD along with some dummy ammo and they will ream out the chamber to fit, but I am not going that far. If I cannot safely get the XTP to work, I will just use another bullet, and save the XTP stuff for another pistol.

Suggestions / comments / experience ?

Thanks!
    ----
    GB!

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Load up a dummy round using your barrel as a gauge.
    Remove the barrel from your pistol and start seating the bullet until it fits. There's your COAL.
    As for the charge, After you find your COAL, I'd Start at the min charge and work your way up looking for pressure signs.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    For the 124 grain XTP, Hornady's load data shows the COL as 1.060".

Their 115 grain XTP is 1.075"
    Their 147 grain XTP is 1.100"

For comparison, Speer's load data was all tested at 1.135" for the GDHP in 124 grain.

Their 115 grain GDHP is 1.125"
    Their 147 grain GDHP is 1.130"

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    I feel your frustration with LWD barrels and XTP bullets. I have to set my OAL a little short but I compensate by reducing my powder charge. I start at the minimum charge and just go up from there, but usually not by much if I have to set the bullet back to get it to work.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Not all bullets of the same weight have the same profile, so COL, (and powder charges) may vary.
    This is why I always tell people to get the bullet manufacturers manual.
    Contrary to common belief, not all data is on line.

From Hornady #8
    124 grain XTP COL 1.060
    Unique 4.0 to 5.0gr

Horandy is up to #10 now, but I'd be surprised if it's changed.

Last edited:

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Not all bullets of the same weight have the same profile, so COL, (and powder charges) may vary.
    This is why I always tell people to get the bullet manufacturers manual.
    Contrary to common belief, not all data is on line.

From Hornady #8
    124 grain XTP COL 1.060
    Unique 4.0 to 5.0gr

Horany is up to #10 now, but I'd be surprised if it's changed.

Okay, that is just what I need. Looks like I need to pull the first few I started with and load with less powder, and shorter COL. Glad I did the plunk test before I got too far along. I am still pretty new to reloading, and it seems like I learn something new with each load.

Thanks for all the replies. All of this is helpful. I will let you know how it goes once I get to the range with this batch.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    Your COL (Cartridge Overall Length) is determined by;
    your barrel (chamber and throat dimensions)
    and
    your gun (feed ramp)
    and
    your magazine (COL that fits magazine and when the magazine lips release the round for feeding)
    and
    the PARTICULAR bullet you are using.
    The critical variable is where the bullet's ogive contacts the barrel's lede (rifling).
    What worked in a pressure barrel or the lab's gun or in my gun has very little to do with what will work best in your gun.
    Take the barrel out of the gun. Create two inert dummy rounds (no powder or primer) at max COL and remove enough case mouth flare for rounds to chamber (you can achieve this by using a sized case—expand-and-flare it, and remove the flare just until the case "plunks" in the barrel and lock the die body down temporarily).
    Drop the inert rounds in and decrease the COL until they chamber completely. This will be your "max" effective COL. I prefer to have the case head flush with the barrel hood (or a few mils higher than where the head of an empty case aligns with the barrel, as all cases are too short and I prefer to minimize head space). After this, place the inert rounds in the magazine and be sure they fit the magazine and feed and chamber.
    You can also do this for any chambering problems you have. Remove the barrel and drop rounds in until you find one that won't chamber. Take that round and "paint" the bullet and case black with Magic Marker or other marker. Drop this round in the barrel and rotate it back-and-forth.
    Remove and inspect the round:
    1) Scratches on bullet--COL is too long
    2) Scratches on edge of the case mouth--insufficient crimp
    3) Scratches just below the case mouth--too much crimp, you're crushing the case
    4) Scratches on case at base of bullet--bullet seated crooked due to insufficient case expansion (not case mouth flare) or improper seating stem fit
    5) Scratches on case just above extractor groove--case bulge not removed during sizing. May need a bulge buster.

Top Bottom