• ...and so much more!
  • Dirtdart504

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Bargersville, IN
    Hey folks,
    I am looking to build a 6.5 Grendel to be used for deer. I start with the end in mind, and will be reloading, so I have a few questions for anyone experienced in reloading 6.5 Grendel.

First question is type 1 or type 2? I was looking on Lee's website and there was only one set of dies available and it didn't mention type 1 or 2. Is this only a bolt thickness issue?

Next, will 7.62x39 brass, resized of course, work with either or both? Or, is it even worth it with the resizing, trimming, and fire forming?

What rounds and powder are working best?

Last, what are thoughts on barrel length. I'm going for a light AR to take into the woods in Indiana. No 1000 yard shots, so I'm leaning toward 18". Is that right, or should I be considering another barrel length?

Any other thoughts would be appreciated. I haven't started the build list yet, and want think some of these things through before I start ordering parts.

Thank you. I really appreciate it.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Unfortunately there is not much of a 6.5 Grendel following on INGO. I built my first AR last year and decided to go the route of 6.5G. I thoroughly enjoy it and love the caliber. With the new regulations, I will also be using mine for the upcoming deer season. I purchased everything to reload last winter, but unfortunately did not get the time to load any.

To answer your first question to the best of my ability, I will tell you type 2 with a .136 bolt face depth. With the Grendel now being SAAMI spec, you should be able to easily acquire a true Grendel. As in all ARs price is usually reflective of quality.

For the second, to my knowledge you can reload using 7.62x39, but it has to have a lot of work done to it. IMO it is not worth the time to fool with that. The Grendel popularity is still growing and more ammo choices are widely available. This includes several reloading components from the top manufacturers. 123gr Hornady or SMKs are definitely a good bullet and CFE223 or IMR8208 are popular powder choices. Right off the shelf Hornady Black and SSTs are good quality with Federal being on the high end.

If you truly just want to hunt with it, I would take a look at a 16" lightweight barrel. They are going to provide well enough accuracy for the task at hand. I've heard really good things about Alexander Arms or Faxon. There are several options to choose from on the barrel end. I personally built mine with a 20" Odin Works heavy profile barrel, and with the scope on, it weights about 9.5 pounds.

Last thoughts. I would suggest checking out 65grendel.com as it is dedicated to the caliber. There is a lot of reading and I learned quite a bit from there. I also purchased the 6.5 Grendel reloading handbooks vol. 1 and 2. Have fun and let me know if I can help you!

Dirtdart504

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Bargersville, IN
    Unfortunately there is not much of a 6.5 Grendel following on INGO. I built my first AR last year and decided to go the route of 6.5G. I thoroughly enjoy it and love the caliber. With the new regulations, I will also be using mine for the upcoming deer season. I purchased everything to reload last winter, but unfortunately did not get the time to load any.

To answer your first question to the best of my ability, I will tell you type 2 with a .136 bolt face depth. With the Grendel now being SAAMI spec, you should be able to easily acquire a true Grendel. As in all ARs price is usually reflective of quality.

For the second, to my knowledge you can reload using 7.62x39, but it has to have a lot of work done to it. IMO it is not worth the time to fool with that. The Grendel popularity is still growing and more ammo choices are widely available. This includes several reloading components from the top manufacturers. 123gr Hornady or SMKs are definitely a good bullet and CFE223 or IMR8208 are popular powder choices. Right off the shelf Hornady Black and SSTs are good quality with Federal being on the high end.

If you truly just want to hunt with it, I would take a look at a 16" lightweight barrel. They are going to provide well enough accuracy for the task at hand. I've heard really good things about Alexander Arms or Faxon. There are several options to choose from on the barrel end. I personally built mine with a 20" Odin Works heavy profile barrel, and with the scope on, it weights about 9.5 pounds.

Last thoughts. I would suggest checking out 65grendel.com as it is dedicated to the caliber. There is a lot of reading and I learned quite a bit from there. I also purchased the 6.5 Grendel reloading handbooks vol. 1 and 2. Have fun and let me know if I can help you!

Thank you. I will check out 65grendel.com. I'm looking at a AR Stoner fluted stainless 18" barrel on Midway. The price looks pretty good, but I'm not locked in on it yet. I don't know if I will use it just for hunting, but that will be the main purpose. I may throw it into a few 3Gun matches, especially at Wildcat Valley where we regularly have 300 yard shots. I did find that my Hornady book does have 6.5 Grendel data, but my Sierra book doesn't. The Hornady book listed data for Ram Tac and BL-C(2). I use both of those already for .308. I believe I do have some old 8208 in the cabinet as well.

Thanks again.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    I built a 6.5 grendel AR about this time last year as well. I love shooting it, but I went with a 26 inch barrel which is way too long for anything practical. But it's heavy and that's good for recoil.

BrianT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2017
    Butlerville
    1 and 2 refers to the throat used. 2 can use the round nose type hunting bullets. Don't confuse that with type 1 or type 2 bolts (some 6.5 G uses a 7.62x39 bolt with I believe .136 head spacing, the other is something like .125). 6.5 and 264lbc are tricky. You really have to work a load up for your gun. I had a friends loads really not like my 264lbc chamber and had some flat primers, they were fine in his gun. 8208xbr, blc2, and cfe223 are all good powders. The Hornady 123 grain is kind of the current mainstay but the heavier bullets like the 130 grain and 140 grain are starting to gain popularity. My barrel really likes the 100 grain bullets, the Nosler partition might be one to look at.

On the 7.62x39 brass it's got much more taper so the case capacity will be reduced on the first loading, After the first firing it will form to the chamber. You have to run a batch of under powered ammo which is fine if you like shooting, annoying if you just want to make one nice load and stick to it.

If you want to get into 6.5 on a budget pick up a Bear Creek 5r barrel. The 18in 5r barrel have shown velocity closer to the 22in standard rifled barrels. 6.5 does much better from short barrels than people initially expected.

Last edited:

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    We'd be glad to assist any way we can.

Been shooting the 6.5G for almost a decade now.....load for it, sell ammo for it, stock components for it....we can get you squared up.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    We'd be glad to assist any way we can.

Been shooting the 6.5G for almost a decade now.....load for it, sell ammo for it, stock components for it....we can get you squared up.

Good to know! The next time I'm visiting the lady friend in Greenwood, I might have to make a trip over. It seems like the majority of the 65G following is west of here.

Top Bottom