• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Reading my American Handgunner magazine and came across these 45 acp rounds in a picture of a 1911 and I didn't reconize them. What are they? I don't plan on carrying them or anything like that but just want to know.

I've searched Google for a bit with no luck.

pscd8oU.jpg

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Looks like they have 2 bullet designs. A F.B.I. load and a self defense load. The self defense load looks a lot like the solid copper Grizzly that expands a lot. The FBI load (the one pictured above) is made to penetrate 18".

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Haven't seen that solid copper stuff since the French Arcane ammo of the 80s. Loaded VERY warm.

sig-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    North
    It looks interesting, but the price definitely excludes it for me. As long as I can get HSTs for $0.60 a round don't plan on dropping $40 for 20 rounds of gorilla glamour.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    u8LTo0dh.jpg

I will leave this here, **** runs like a freight train these solid copper projectiles are no joke, been getting really good results with my backyard science experiments. Need to put my biochem degree to good use and cook up some ballistic gel

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Very interesting,..

Dean can you attest to the 18"claim?

Again been doing just some basic "backyard science" but out of a 5-inch Government Model 1911 both the Standard Pressure HST and Gorilla 45 FBI load will go through approximately 4 full milk jugs and penetrate the fifth just resting inside the jug. The jugs had 4 layers of jean denim on the front as well to mimic FBI standards. The milk jugs were roughly ~5.5 inches across for a total distance of ~22 inches of water filled milk jugs penetrated.

I have not had the opportunity to cook up some ballistic gel as of yet but that is definitely something I want to do as I am considering switching my carry ammo over to Silverback as the results I am getting from the FBI load have been impressive. The round will go through just about anything and retain 100% weight its really cool to see. I shot it through a heavy 2 inch walled cinder block to see what would happen the Silverback punched through (no expansion the hollow point was full of concrete) while the HST basically disintegrated (I assume that is what happened as I could not recover any bullet fragments).

Top Bottom