• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    So I have a couple hundred pounds of Kester ultra pure leaded solder, is this any good for casting 30 caliber bullets? And does anyone have a good load data for using these in an early 40's Winchester 94?

Here is chemical make up of the solder......

Thank in advance

Aaron

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I cast and shoot 30 cal for lever guns, Winchester 1894, 1895 and calibers like 30-30 and 30-40. The solder is mostly tin, with 20% antimony. You don't need a lot of tin mixed with lead before your wasting it, works mainly to improve mold fill out. Antimony is the ticket to hardness. I would mix something like that 20-1 with wheel weight lead and 10-1 with straight lead.

200 pounds will go a long way at those ratios, you might consider selling some of it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    At 20% antimony and the balance as tin this should sell for in between foundry type and pure tin. Scrap metal price will give you a up to date number on both.

Your 1894 Winchester should do very well with a RNFP mold between 150 and 170 grain. Mine does.:)

A quick check of the internet says that tin is selling for $12 per pound.

Last edited:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    hard to find wheel weights anymore, many place now use zinc and those they remove they sell for more money than they are worth really. Junk yards may be your best bet for what you need to cast bullets. Never cast any for a 30 cal but have for a lot of handgun calibers. It isn't hard to do and once you have gotten it down it is even easier.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    That stuff he's got is just the ticket to turn plumbers lead into something more usefull.

Top Bottom