Quality rifle ammo to reload the brass in .243 Win.?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I added a caliber to my list with the TC Compass from kygunco.com, hard to pass up at under $300 shipped with transfer & Vortex scope.

I bought this primarily for my 13 year old to use with the low recoil.

Thinking of buying some of the Remington Core-Lokt with the $5 rebate which from Cabelas free shipping comes up to $13 per box after rebate price.
    Also looking at the Winchester which is similarly priced.

Long story short, what should I be looking at to have quality brass when these have been spent?

thanks in advance.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I added a caliber to my list with the TC Compass from kygunco.com, hard to pass up at under $300 shipped with transfer & Vortex scope.

Thinking of buying some of the Remington Core-Lokt with the $5 rebate which from Cabelas free shipping comes up to $13 per box after rebate price.

Long story short, what should I be looking at to have quality brass when these have been spent?

thanks in advance.
    Starline Brass makes some of the best shooting brass around. Been using their handgun brass for years and the brass has been reloaded over and over again. I have not encountered a split case yet. They are now making several rifle calibers and .243 Winchester is one of them. I believe their website is Starlinebrass.com Best of luck!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    See what it shoots well factory load wise. Most factory higher quality rounds will do fine for reloads in 243.

Sounds like a fine gun for a young lad. Looked at that setup and for the price it should be a very fine hunter for years to come. Coyotes and deer rifle. Coyote season is longer. It has been years since I have really used the 243 when I did get it she came with three boxes of 100 grain Remington cor lok bullets. These were the old stand by's 25 years ago for 243 and deer. With today's better bullet tech around maybe a lighter weight bonded bullet would be even better.

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    I bought the Winchester Power Point at Walmart and loaded that brass two more times before I tossed it. If you want some of the best there is...just buy a 100 pieces of Lapua Brass and make you own Premium rounds.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    I have used winchester brass for my reloads in all 4 243s that i load for. If i remember right, i bought 100 pieces for cheap about a dozen years ago. The guns are for hunting deer, and i dont use max loads, so the standard brass does just fine for me .

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I use Winchester brass in both of the 243's for which I reload ammo. For a youth load, forget about the full-throttle factory 100gr loads and take a long look at the 85 grain Nosler Partition bullet, pushed by a suitable charge of H4895. You can dial this down to make it really easy on the shoulder, but the design of the Partition bullet means it will still perform well on deer at any distance a young hunter should be shooting. My daughter has taken two Michigan deer with this load, driven to around 2,700fps. The 2nd deer was a complete pass-through, while the first one was misplaced and broke the deer's neck. Ironically, the 2nd one went further...maybe 40 yards. :)

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

thanks in advance.

If I'm buying brass I prefer to buy Winchester over Remington because the Remington brass usually has rougher necks and more damaged cases than the Winchester. Since you are planning to buy loaded ammo and reload the cases that doesn't matter as much. However, if you think that you might buy additional brass, it makes sense to go with the Winchester ammo so that all of your brass will be the same.

Top Bottom