• Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm a fairly new reloader.
    I've been at it for just over a year and I've gone slow, cutting my teeth on straight-walled pistol cartridges.

I finally decided to start loading bottleneck cases and thought I'd start with .35Remington since it's so spendy and I have a new rifle to feed.
    I ordered some Hornady cases from Midsouth and they arrived today, but I'm not happy with the product sent.
    I ordered 50 .35Remington cases. I got 50 .35Rem cases, but at least 10 of them have out-of-round case mouths.
    One or two have a flat spot on one side of the case mouth as long as 1/4"!
    Several others have burrs on the outside of the rim of the case mouth.

I'm not experienced at buying new cases, but I thought they would at least be round-ish!

The package states, "Hand inspected to ensure top quality in every box."
    Are flat-spot case mouths normal on new brass?
    Am I expecting too much from new brass?

Should I bother trying to send these back, or do I just run them through a sizing die and lose one more loading or so?
    Thanks for your help.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Most of the new brass I have bought over the years has some dented case mouths in the bag. I am not sure how it happens but it's fairly common. I run them through the sizer die and it always surprises me how even badly deformed cases are completely round again. If some are beyond salvaging it couldn't hurt to contact Hornady and request a few replacements.

Just my :twocents:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    This get dinged in transit. You never know what happens in UPS or Fedex hubs, if the boxes were smashed or dropped, how much weight they had on them, etc.

It'll still work, it's what dies and prep tools are for

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Perfectly normal, with virtually all brands of brass. Frankly, you were going to have to at least size the neck before loading, anyway...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Been buying new brass for over 40 years, some have dents. Thin neck cartridges like 44-40, 38-40, and 32-20 often have dents and can be tricky to load.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    O.K. guess I'll give them a try.
    I thought it was odd that 20% of the order looked out of round at the case mouth.

This was my first order of bottle necked cases.
    Until now i have only loaded straight walled pistol cases, and my only experience with new cases has been with Star-Line.
    Guess I got spoiled.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Most of the new brass I have bought over the years has some dented case mouths in the bag. I am not sure how it happens but it's fairly common. I run them through the sizer die and it always surprises me how even badly deformed cases are completely round again. If some are beyond salvaging it couldn't hurt to contact Hornady and request a few replacements.

Just my :twocents:

This. If you think the Hornady brass is bad stay far, far away from Remington, lol. The box usually does a decent job of protecting Hornady brass from the typical dings and dents but not always.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yeah, my first time buying new brass recently also. Luckily, I had read about Winchester having some issues and sure enough a hole in a neck caused one to be discarded right off the bat. Apparently just part of the game. :dunno:

Top Bottom