• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Ok guys and gals its time to start the hand loading season. I spiffed up my loading room and upgraded all my equipment this past spring and am anxious to spend some time in there and at the range.

My goal is to load and shoot up any odds and ends I have sitting around. First up is a thousand Berry's 124grn plated round nose pills for 9mm. Took these in on a trade deal a couple years ago. Never loaded these before. Powders I have are Titegroup and WSF. The Titegroup looks to be too fast and doesn't have a real big window for error. Would like to dial in on the WSF.

Cant find any info for the WSF except for the Winchester data. 1.169 max OAL 4.7-5.3 for FMJ and 4.0-4.7 for Lead

How about 1.150 OAL start at 4.5then work up-4.7-4.9-5.1??????

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Personally, I'd start a little lower, only to see if there was a slower load the gun liked, otherwise you look fine to me.
    FWIW, HS-6 has been exceptionally accurate for me with those bullets.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Personally, I'd start a little lower, only to see if there was a slower load the gun liked, otherwise you look fine to me.
    FWIW, HS-6 has been exceptionally accurate for me with those bullets.

OK I could try starting at 4.3 then. My OAL look ok?

Nice to actually see some variety of powder on the shelf at Cabelas. I snagged a couple of the Win powders. Regret not grabbing a couple of Unique to keep around. Always data for that and it seems to be very forgiving.

Then again I am trying to settle on one powder and projectile. That way I can buy load and shoot in bulk. Get rid of all the half used oddball stuff off the bench.

It's for a G17 if that makes a diff.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I also use titegroup for 9mm (currently), but I load with whatever. Don't recall my charge off the top of my head, but no issues. I use the lee powder disc, because I only load plinking rounds and don't feel I've ever had a risk of double charge!

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    To each his own-My findings..YMMV...

"Cant find any info for the WSF except for the Winchester data. 1.169 max OAL 4.7-5.3 for FMJ and 4.0-4.7 for Lead"

For ME-not the ideal powder--I like: HP-38/WW-231, HS-6, PowerPistol, and a few others over WSF Powder.

Another thought-Your Glock 17 would prefer loads more toward the Max, and less toward the Min.. I SURE would NOT go below the Min. listed for FMJ.

If I were to use the powder/projectile that you are using to load 9MM for my Glock 17, I would start @5.0 to 5.1 gr. of your WSF, and seat JUST deep enough to pass the 'Plunk Test" and magazine length, what ever that OAL is in your barrel/magazine. As ALWAYS--THIS is ONLY what I would do for my loads, in MY Glock 17==YMMV..

I found out years ago that light 9MM loads, that would function fine in my CZ's would not function worth a darn in my Glocks. The charge was too low..Glocks LIKE Max loads...Bill.

PS:Berry's 124grn plated WILL take speeds up to 1250fps., so you have a "ways" to go, even on the Max load listed..

PPS:Home
    Products
    Superior Plated Bullets
    Superior Pistol
    9mm
    9mm 124 Gr Round Nose

Quantity:
    ADD TO CART
    Description
    Berry's Superior Plated Bullets are swaged and plated to final weight and re-struck
    for accuracy and precision. They are more affordable than jacketed rounds and won't
    foul your barrel with lead.
    SAAMI MAX COL = 1.169"
    Can withstand velocities up to 1250 fps.
    THIS IS NOT LOADED AMMUNITION.
    ^^^Right off of Berry's web site for the projectile that you are using...

Last edited:

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    I'd have to dig out my notes to see what my OAL was.

I dunno from Glocks....silly things don't fit my hand.
    Suggested starting a bit lower because over the years, there's been a couple of times the most accurate load I found was at, or right near the starting load.
    Now if a member with the same gun as mine said they like to run hotter..... I'd be inclined to not start at the very bottom.
    But I'd still start on the low side just to see what my gun did.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I am also using TiteGroup, and although I no longer load the Berry's plated, I used a load of 4.1 gr of TG at a COAL of 1.125 for a long time, and it was a great load.

tranders

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Clinton County
    Just went through my first thousand Berry's 124 RN. I use 3.7 grains of Titegroup with OAL of 1.147. They shot fine through all my 9mms(Cz75,Shield,and SA Range Officer). Mild recoil and the empties were easy to find. The fired cases were a little sooty,but it seems that is the nature of the beast with Titegroup. Barrel was clean,just sooty cases.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Ok range report time!

Loaded at 1.150 with just enough crimp to iron out the bell. Passed the plunk test in my G17 barrel no problem.

Started with 4.5 of WSF then worked up to 4.7, 4.9, then 5.1

The 4.7 load shot a 1" 5 shot group at 15yrds off hand so will roll with that since I haven't got a chronograph. The last group with the 5.1 looked to be tightening back up as well. May be another upper end accuracy node. No signs of pressure.

I see a chrono in my future. Can see where it would be useful tool in order to get the most out of your loads.

Fun to try out some new to me components and break in some new equipment. Let the hand loading season begin!

Top Bottom