• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I picked up a Marlin 1895 CB 22 inch a while back. I saw a video of some guy in a car with buffalo around him and thought, that could happen to me. So now I am ready, just in case.

xO51Btv.jpg
    [/IMG]
    1GYu8FF.jpg
    [/IMG]

So now I am looking at the ammo situation. Factory ammo is pretty high for this. But I see brass and bullets are extremely high as well. Leadeye mentioned I need to cast bullets for this. Which mold are people using? I haven't shot it yet, so not sure what bullet style or weight is usual for this type rifle.

stymie12000

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Bripple
    I have a 1895g. Ive tried the inexpensive Lee moulds. I did not like the diameter they would cast (couldn't get any bigger than .457). So lesson learned.

I ended up getting this guy. 460-405-RF 2 cavity GC, NOE Bullet Moulds

Throws at a consistant .460 diameter with wheel weights. And with gas checks they are about 400gr. I also got the Gator gas checks from NOE and got the xlox 2500 plus lube.

I size down to .459 with the lyman sizing die in the rcbs lubeomatic. I did get the NOE .460 expander button that works in the Lee universal expander die. (Factory hornady did not expand enough for the .459 bullet and was swaging the bullet down in diameter).

.460 x .456 Exp. Plug, NOE Bullet Moulds

I've pushed these bullets up to 1950fps out of my 1895g. That's with using straight wheel weight lead. Absolutely no leading. I have about 1000 rounds through the rifle (not all 1950fps) with no lead in the barrel. Also accuracy was better than expected.

With gas checks each bullet cost me around $.06. So if you shoot a lot then the initial investment is worth it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    ^

Can't add to this other than I've not had that trouble with Lee molds. That's a whole lot of tang sight on that rifle.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    RCBS, Lyman and NOE molds here. Get the NOE 460-350 or 460-405. A lot of good loads out there depending on intended target. You don't need screaming velocity to kill stuff when you toss 400 grain bullets. Super easy to reload cartridge.

Go go with starline brass.

I like trailboss and IMR3031 for powder.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    ^

Can't add to this other than I've not had that trouble with Lee molds. That's a whole lot of tang sight on that rifle.
    Yeah, I am not sold on the tang sight... I don’t know it is original or not. The place for the rear sight has an official looking spacer in it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Yeah, I am not sold on the tang sight... I don’t know it is original or not. The place for the rear sight has an official looking spacer in it.

That's a pretty high spacer for 45-70. Suited for 500 grain bullets at some distance. Looks like a nice sight though, any makers marking on it?

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Nice rifle!
    Can't add much here.
    Had the same problem with the Lee mold as Stymie, and agree w/ djones that Starline makes nice brass.

There's a LOT of guys loading this one over at Cast Boolits
    Worth a read.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    You might want to check out this type of tang sight. This one is from Marble. It is adjustable for windage. I have this sight on a Winchester 1894 (30 WCF) and a Winchester 1886 (45-70). Lyman has a similar sight, but it is not windage adjustable. I like this type of sight for my lever guns and it is more authentic than the vernier tang sight currently on you rifle.

Sorry I can't help with the loads. I was going to get a mould for my 1886, but never got around to it. You may want to try out a few bullets first to see what works best in your rifle. If you decide to cast your own, you should slug your barrel to determine the correct diameter of the bullet. Good luck on your quest.

Mvc-017f.jpg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I see Midway has a sale on single cavity molds from Lyman right now. I think all my other molds are Lyman right now.

Whip, that sight looks more appropriate for the rifle I have. I also think I would like to place an actual rear sight on the gun for closer in shots.

I will likely buy some more factory ammo in different bullet sizes to try out. Also for the brass. Looks like the SL brass i getting close to a buck a piece. I will watch for a deal on it at the local shows. I bought a big bag of SL 10mm brass at Nappanee show for way less than if I ordered on line. About a 1/3 of the price.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I see Midway has a sale on single cavity molds from Lyman right now. I think all my other molds are Lyman right now.

Whip, that sight looks more appropriate for the rifle I have. I also think I would like to place an actual rear sight on the gun for closer in shots.

I will likely buy some more factory ammo in different bullet sizes to try out. Also for the brass. Looks like the SL brass i getting close to a buck a piece. I will watch for a deal on it at the local shows. I bought a big bag of SL 10mm brass at Nappanee show for way less than if I ordered on line. About a 1/3 of the price.

Did you price that Star Line brass on their website?
    I've found you get much better deals there than through Midway or Brownels...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The reviews on the Lyman and Marbles are strange at Midway. You have a guy or two at both places claiming they are cheap made junk. :lmfao:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Took it to the range and shot it this week. The recoil rocks that tang sight forward every time you shoot, so I had to pull it back into position after every round fired. Pretty inconvenient. So I will have to do something about this at some point.

My Lyman dies arrived yesterday from Midway. Today some 405 grain RNFP cast bullets and some Starline Brass arrive from Brownell's. I picked up some 3130 from Big R. So I should be ready to load up a few rounds here shortly.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    That's a good lead on the NOE molds. I like the 405gr WFNGC bullets from Cast Performance, and had Veral Smith at LBT make me a mold to match, but had nothing but problems with it.

I think I'll contact NOE to see if they can make a mold for this bullet.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Sight replacement see what the good doctor at skinner sights can do for you. You already have the rear sight blank so I think that instead of the tang sight one that attaches to the reciever is your huckleberry.

Marlin peep sights

I can personally vouch for the quality of the skinner sights.

BeDome

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Not done more than drool over a few in old day cartridges, but that Marlin seems like one of the best you could get.

I am sorry about the cost of ammo.

Feeling a bit jealous, on this ride.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom