• ...and so much more!
  • Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    My opinion of Russian steel case ammunition took a major hit today. Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this picture? :dunno:

Edit: the missing primer is a symptom of the problem but not the actual problem. The round had a primer and appeared normal before attempting to fire it.

20171030_192721.jpg

20171030_192751.jpg

Last edited:

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I bet that was a pretty quiet bang when you fired that one. Just drill it out and throw a new primer in!

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I bet that was a pretty quiet bang when you fired that one. Just drill it out and throw a new primer in!

Yes, a pop and no kick. I was relieved that I didn't have a bullet stuck in the barrel. Drilling it out would work but I think I will just keep it as an example of poor Russian workmanship.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've fired thousands of rounds of Wolf and had one backwards primer (9mm). I've fired a hundred rounds of Honady and had 3 failures; 1 squib, two failed crimps pushing the bullet into the case. Everyone cranks out a lemon once in a while.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    What kind of rifle?

And I suppose this could happen with any ammo. I had a batch of Winchester brass with double punched flash holes.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    What kind of rifle?

And I suppose this could happen with any ammo. I had a batch of Winchester brass with double punched flash holes.

It was a WASR AK. Would have been the same result with any rifle. No flash hole to allow the primer to ignite the powder.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I've fired thousands of rounds of Wolf and had one backwards primer (9mm). I've fired a hundred rounds of Honady and had 3 failures; 1 squib, two failed crimps pushing the bullet into the case. Everyone cranks out a lemon once in a while.

Admittedly I have fired thousands of rounds of Russian rifle ammo with no issues until now. With Wolf pistol ammo I have experienced one 9mm and one 45 auto round that was overcharged.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have been shooting that cheap stuff for years. Starting in the '80's with an SKS. Later 9mm, AK and more recently my AR. Never had any kind of a misfire that I can remember. I stopped buying it because I sold all my 7.62x39 rifles and it is really inaccurate out of my AR. Besides I like to collect brass.

Top Bottom