suggested loads for Berrys 9mm 124gr HBFP (plated)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just picked up a box of Berry's 124gr 9mm plated Hollow Base Flat Points to play with. Looking around online, I'm seeing several wide variations online. Anyone have a recipe they find that works well? I'm using either HP-38 or Titegroup.

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    I've had good luck with 3.5 gr of titegroup for a similar plated 124gr bullet.
    Felt recoil to be in the medium to light medium range.
    Cycled fine in the glock, sig and browning.
    Did not play nice in the S&W929pc revolver.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Scroll down. I created a post on 124grn round nose Berrys. Sure there may be some info you could use.

Didn't like the idea of titegroup. It's a fast powder and didn't have a large loading window for a bullet that heavy. Went with WSF.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Scroll down. I created a post on 124grn round nose Berrys. Sure there may be some info you could use.

Didn't like the idea of titegroup. It's a fast powder and didn't have a large loading window for a bullet that heavy. Went with WSF.

my biggest question is the OAL and seating depth. Its a shorter bullet (what is exposed)since there is not much material north of the ogive.

Berrys product page doesnt even make sense. it shows the same COAL as the RN, but that puts the ogive higher than normal. Make sense? should the OAL be shorter by that missing nose length?

And I cant just measure the two bullets and subtract the difference because they mention the bullet is longer overall than the same weight RN.

And I think what he meant about it not playing nice in the S&W is the barrel doesnt like the bullet. For instance my G19 doesnt like 115s at ALL. HORRIBLE groups. I bench rested 2-3" groups at 10m. I had 1.5" groups* with 124s and up in the same gun.

(*one set of 4 was a big ragged hole with almost all touching)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just found this on the interwebz...

"I e-mailed the rep at Berry's and he said that 1.06" is a good COL for the HBFP (hallow base flat point)."

Another person was told "between 1.040 and 1.070" so that seems to jive.

I've got my die dialed into 1.055. We will start there. It passes both the gauge and the plunk test on a barrel.

Last edited:

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Mgderf,

Yeah, that commend was vague. mea culpa

Loads with fast powders like titegroup contributed to the brass sticking in the titanium cylinder of the 929.
    When I switched to a slower burning powder like Power Pistol, the "sticking" brass stopped.

Glad the OP found a good starting point for his load development.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Mgderf,

Yeah, that commend was vague. mea culpa

Loads with fast powders like titegroup contributed to the brass sticking in the titanium cylinder of the 929.
    When I switched to a slower burning powder like Power Pistol, the "sticking" brass stopped.

Glad the OP found a good starting point for his load development.

Thank you for the clarification.
    I was confused as to what issues you might experience in a revolver.
    I'm fairly new to reloading so I hadn't been plagued by this problem yet.

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Mgderf,

Cameramonkey's speculation about the barrel not liking the bullet, although not my issue at this time, can be an issue with the 929.
    I moved up to 147 grain because I wanted the heavier bullet for bowling pins, but the sport shooters seem to go heavy because the lighter bullets keyhole.
    And they have power factors to meet.
    124 grainers have worked well in my semi-autos and are especially preferred by my Sig P210.
    With standard combat 9s I feel some difference with heavier bullets and hotter loads, but I'm NOT a master shooter, so the differences seem minimal for plinking.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Update, I went with 4.0 and 4.2 of Titegroup at 1.06 OAL. I got some pretty good grouping on the 4.0, but not so much on 4.2. It was smooth shooting too.

Holy crap I had no idea the damn things would act like a hole punch. Calling shots is sooooooooo much easier than RNs. There is absolutely zero question where your round goes.

I think I'll be running flat points from now on. I REALLY like them. (and my Glock doesnt mind eating them)

Top Bottom