• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    How do you store and organize your ammo boxes? Does anyone have a ammo rack? Do you just keep piling them up in the closet? What do you do with ammo stock pile?

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Ammo cans per caliber. There is another can that has a mix of everything with loaded magazines that I just grab and take to the range.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Same as above. Labeled 50 cal cans(and bigger ones too) stacked and on shelving. Have a few mtm plastic storage boxes made for holding mags too. Those are great for the range. Have 2 that hold just ar mags and 2 that hold ar mags and double stack pistol mags. Also keep my brass in labeled ammo cans to marked for caliber.

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    That is what I was trying to ask, how do you store your ammo cans? What shelving do you use? Ammo can be heavy! I was trying to figure a better way than the closet in cans. Did you build your shelves?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I picked up some industrial shelving off of craigslist. Very heavy duty. Its 5 shelves high but i use the bottom 3. Top 2 i use for storage of canned goods and other stuff. Even though its industrial i really dont trust stacking higher than the 3rd shelve, plus i can pretty much get it all on those 3 shelves. Its about 6ft long by 6ft high.

Keep an eye open for deals on craigslist and sometimes you can find something decent if a store is closing too. They often times offer all fixture for sale when they go out of buisness

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Ya'll most store a LOT of ammo?

I store mine in the green MTM ammo holders made for those of us who reload. They go on shelves, on trips to the range (back yard) or on out-of-state hunting trips.

Bulk pistol ammo gets stored in cleaned out plastic jars of one type or another. I don't have so many magazines that I need to worry about how they are stored?

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    I use old surplus ammo cans stacked in the spare bedroom closet. If I had space I'd get a Stack On Firepower Ammo cabinet. Saw a couple of scratch and dent cabinets at the Louisville Cabela's in their Bargain Cave for $119.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Ammo cans per caliber. There is another can that has a mix of everything with loaded magazines that I just grab and take to the range.

Same as above. Labeled 50 cal cans(and bigger ones too) stacked and on shelving. Have a few mtm plastic storage boxes made for holding mags too. Those are great for the range. Have 2 that hold just ar mags and 2 that hold ar mags and double stack pistol mags. Also keep my brass in labeled ammo cans to marked for caliber.

Same here. The ammo cans are stored in a 3 foot wide x 4 foot long x 3 foot high steel job site box. I think it's a JoeBox brand. I was going to anchor it down to the basement floor but with what's in it now I can't slide it across the floor or even pick up an end.

Every ammo can has a 1inch nylon strap that is 4foot long that runs through the handle loops, that way I can throw it over my shoulder like a duffel bag or drag it across the floor. I tried rope first but the handle would not way flat enough so I could stack the ammo cans on top of each other.

Also I lined the inside and outside with 3 layers of fire resistance drywall just in case of fire.

Last edited:

Okra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Industrial steel shelving supplemented with custom wood shelving. All ammo sealed in surplus cans and the cans stacked in surplus crates, all stored in a climate and humidity controlled waterproof shipping container.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    How do you store and organize your ammo boxes? Does anyone have a ammo rack? Do you just keep piling them up in the closet? What do you do with ammo stock pile?

Den, I have an alcove in the basement that is 108" long and 42" deep. I put two of those Gladiator shelving units (both 48" wide) and stow my ammo on them (each shelf is rated up to 1,000 pounds).

I have become a huge Gladiator fan: Home and Garage Storage Solutions | Garage Storage | Gladiator®

I store most of my ammo in color-coded ammo cans (.50 and .30s), e.g. Pontiac Blue for .45 acp, white for .38SPL, white with red stripe for .357 mag, pink for 9mm, yellow is 5.56, red is .30RS, inter alia.

For .22lr (coded orange) I have one big 40MM can and dump ammo in and then I have stacks of the speciality stuff (Stingers, CBs, etc) behind the cans.

Oh, check your ammo cans.:D After the election I discovered that my royal blue cans actually contained 5.45X39mm, NOT 7.62X54R.:D My chart was slightly off!

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I ended up finding a locker set (like the one below) on craigslist for like $50 out of an old building at Fort Ben and I use it for my ammo storage. Even got locker organizer shelves and installed them in each locker so I can organize calibers by steel/brass or supersonic/subsonic, etc. Each locker has a combo lock on it, but I just use the master key that unlocks them all.

C2Oti2I.png

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    I got a metal shelved rack, home depot 80 buck will hold 150 ibs per shelve. And it goes together so easily

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I may have those metal shelving units from Menards with a 1000 lbs rating per shelf to hold the ammo. I leave it in the case until I need to open one and dump the boxes in the ammo can.

Top Bottom