• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    After seeing a few of you guys reloading setups using one I sucked it up and finally bought one. I am looking forward to playing with it. My spoon method works ok, but it's a wee bit on the slow side. :):

Are any of you using yours with stick powders? How does it do with them?

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I haven't noticed a difference between stick or flake powder. I did have occasional over-charges, but fixed that with a tip I learned here. Cut a small piece of a plastic straw and put into dispenser tube. It cuts down on the over-charges.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just ordered one today also. I've been holding off on upgrading my digital scale. Been waiting to have the dollars when the price was right.

The rebate sold me, hopefully it doesn't turn into a fight? The numbers are changing on the rebate forms. Gotta make a call tomorrow. :xmad:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Just ordered one today also. I've been holding off on upgrading my digital scale. Been waiting to have the dollars when the price was right.

The rebate sold me, hopefully it doesn't turn into a fight? The numbers are changing on the rebate forms. Gotta make a call tomorrow. :xmad:

Just curious, what prices are you guys finding on these, before a rebate?

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I love mine, although it is not terribly fast. There are some mods online designed to speed things up, but I have hesitated to implement them.

As far as the "straw trick", this is a NO-BRAINER and you need to add this mod right away. I actually bought a brass insert that is being sold on eBay. Love it!

The only stick powder that I have tried with mine is Varget, and it seems to work pretty danged well, certainly much better than my powder drops do with stick powders.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...As far as the "straw trick", this is a NO-BRAINER and you need to add this mod right away. I actually bought a brass insert that is being sold on eBay. Love it!

Is this the one you are talking about, my friend?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RCBS-Charg...165505?hash=item2cc970ac01:g:ooIAAOSwFqJWhoC4

s-l400.jpg

You're thinking this is the way to go from the start?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I love mine, although it is not terribly fast. There are some mods online designed to speed things up, but I have hesitated to implement them.

As far as the "straw trick", this is a NO-BRAINER and you need to add this mod right away. I actually bought a brass insert that is being sold on eBay. Love it!

The only stick powder that I have tried with mine is Varget, and it seems to work pretty danged well, certainly much better than my powder drops do with stick powders.

You showing off your setup was the start of me wanting one, lol. I am sure I will love it. And I will be doing the straw mod. I might just turn one out on the lathe.

thanks everyone for the tips, advice and info. This place (as usual) is awesome for help.

Larry

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I ordered mine from Amazon for $299.99+tax. Midway has them ~$296 w/o tax.
    $299.98/299.99 is the supposed difference between a $25 and $100 rebate.

Natchez has them for $269.99. I ordered mine a couple of years ago from Midway with a similar dilemma. I needed to spend a few extra dollars so I bought a shell holder to put me over the amount to get a much bigger rebate.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Natchez has them for $269.99. I ordered mine a couple of years ago from Midway with a similar dilemma. I needed to spend a few extra dollars so I bought a shell holder to put me over the amount to get a much bigger rebate.

This is a RCBS rebate:

https://consumer-hub-gateway.app.yaengage.com/program-forms/18/file

After some time and a bit of going back and forth with the Vista Outdoor company representative (over a penny,) she took the complaint higher up. Came back with that they would honor my claim to the $100 rebate. Dunno if my threat to return the Chargemaster had anything to do with it or not?

We'll see how it actually goes. I did get the inside tip, that if submitted online, calls can be made to verify the rebate going through can start ten days after submission.

Last edited:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I waited to couple the Cabelas sale price with rebate and free shipping. I paid the rest in Cabelas points. I wouldn't pay what they are asking for one.

I only use mine for working up new loads and for double checking powder thrower.

McDonalds straw mod is a must. It worked better with stick than ball. Little quirky but does the job with some tinkering.

It is pretty slow going. I have tons of ballast on my bench and it's bolted to the wall. I put a rubber pad under scale and I still can't seat a bullet while it's pouring. Any movement disrupts it and it stops and beeps.

If a fella has some extra cash and like to tinker with loads and different calibers frequently it would probably be a nice addition to the bench.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I waited to couple the Cabelas sale price with rebate and free shipping. I paid the rest in Cabelas points. I wouldn't pay what they are asking for one.

I only use mine for working up new loads and for double checking powder thrower.

McDonalds straw mod is a must. It worked better with stick than ball. Little quirky but does the job with some tinkering.

It is pretty slow going. I have tons of ballast on my bench and it's bolted to the wall. I put a rubber pad under scale and I still can't seat a bullet while it's pouring. Any movement disrupts it and it stops and beeps.

If a fella has some extra cash and like to tinker with loads and different calibers frequently it would probably be a nice addition to the bench.

It arrived today! :rockwoot: I'll try to get around to tinker with it some time this evening if I can.

I enjoy working on different loads. If I can get it to drop with in a few 10th's of a grain I will be happy. I can trickle in from there. That's a lot faster then a spoon. That in itself is a time saver for me. I mostly use stick. I load single stage and for accuracy. Not so much for volume. this think should work out fine. Or we shall see anyway.

I will post back with my results.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    It arrived today! :rockwoot: I'll try to get around to tinker with it some time this evening if I can.

I enjoy working on different loads. If I can get it to drop with in a few 10th's of a grain I will be happy. I can trickle in from there. That's a lot faster then a spoon. That in itself is a time saver for me. I mostly use stick. I load single stage and for accuracy. Not so much for volume. this think should work out fine. Or we shall see anyway.

I will post back with my results.

This will work great for you. I also just have a single stage. I start the powder and get a case and bullet ready. When the powder is done, I dump it into my case, put the pan back and start another charge. While it's dumping powder I seat the bullet and get ready for the next round. Doing this there isn't much if any down time. About every 8-10 rounds I will check the charge on a beam scale and measure OAL.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    This will work great for you. I also just have a single stage. I start the powder and get a case and bullet ready. When the powder is done, I dump it into my case, put the pan back and start another charge. While it's dumping powder I seat the bullet and get ready for the next round. Doing this there isn't much if any down time. About every 8-10 rounds I will check the charge on a beam scale and measure OAL.

Your reloading scheme sounds just like mine. I have several thousand 223, 308 to reload as well as a few hundered 45/70 and 8mm Mauser. This should save some time for sure.

I just unboxed it and am reading the manual to get familiar with it (unheard of I know :):). I'll get some powder out and do a few test drops soon. I am looking forward to using it.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Your reloading scheme sounds just like mine. I have several thousand 223, 308 to reload as well as a few hundered 45/70 and 8mm Mauser. This should save some time for sure.

I just unboxed it and am reading the manual to get familiar with it (unheard of I know :):). I'll get some powder out and do a few test drops soon. I am looking forward to using it.

I predict you will fall in love with it. It really shines with your style of reloading. Weighing charges is the least enjoyable part of developing a load IMO. This makes it like having an assistant who just takes care of that for you.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Sounds like this should be just what the doctor ordered for you and your style of loading. If you dig single stage style this is super nice time saver. You will wish you bought one sooner.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I predict you will fall in love with it. It really shines with your style of reloading. Weighing charges is the least enjoyable part of developing a load IMO. This makes it like having an assistant who just takes care of that for you.

Sounds like this should be just what the doctor ordered for you and your style of loading. If you dig single stage style this is super nice time saver. You will wish you bought one sooner.

You guys are right. I love it & should have bought one sooner. I played around with it for about an hour dropping some flake and stick powder. I had a little issue with static cling with the flake. I wiped everything down with a dryer sheet and that took care of it.

It dispensed stick without issue. It dropped perfectly every time. I had issues with it over charging randomly with flake. The powder was clinging to the scale cover like metal to a magnet. The wipe down seemed to resolve that. I can't spoon powder nearly as fast as this can do it. I am going to enjoy this thing. It;s cool to just push a button and do something else and come back to it.

It seemed to work ok without the straw mod, but I haven't used it enough to tell yet.

Top Bottom