• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sfrye5853

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm in the process of preparing my first 100 .30-06 rifle cases and have a question. I'm using a Lee single stage to decap, resize and trim. I have the Lee quick trim power head attached to a cordless drill. I was getting between 2.490 and 2.487 after trimming the cases. Should I be happy with that? I'm wondering if there is a better and more percise trimming technique I should be using.
    Max case length is 2.494
    Case trim length is 2.484

Sfrye5853

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Indianapolis, IN
    I only measured a couple of them and then just decided to run them all through thinking I would get them all the same length. This batch was all once fired and measures 2.494. Head stamp shows P S 7 6, and the other is S & B.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Unless you're trimming them to load in a Garand, or other semi-auto, where a consistent length is indicated for applying a crimp, the results you're getting are perfectly acceptable.

I'm surprised that 100 cases, with two different headstamps, "all" measure 2.494". That is unusual. I tend to measure each case, sorting them into two piles; those that need to be trimmed and those that don't.

Isn't that system adjustable?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    A few thousands is not s show stopper. I use the same trimmer setup less the drill. Make sure you aren't getting brass shavings in the shell holder. That could account for the difference.

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I am using the same set-up you are and don't have any problems. I think the key to uniform case trimming with the Lee stuff is pressure on the press handle and watching the sleeve on the trimmer, as soon as it stops spinning, stop your drill.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    What trimmer/trimming technique does everyone else use?
    I trim with the same setup except by hand. I raise the handle a few times during the cut to clear chips. I don't lean on it to cut. I put steady presure and when the cutter feels like it's not cutting metal I stop.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I used the Lee set up for a few years before switching to an RCBS case trimmer. The Lee does a good job of trimming, but your overall length is dependent on the case head being of a consistent depth and the flash hole not having a burr that causes the trimmer not to fully get to the case head. I started deburring flash holes to take make sure I was getting more consistent lengths.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I reload for a Garand also. When I first started reloading for it, I was very diligent in trimming the cases to 2.484. After reading several comments on the CMP Forum, I now only trim cases in excess of 2.490. I have not had any problems. I use a Lee Zip Trimmer, and I don’t crimp.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I use a Little Crow WFT on a drill. It's a nice tool.

Don't shoot enough rifle to justify a Giraud.

^^^Same here..I trim 5.56/.223, and .308 Win.
    The WFT does well for me. I usually settle for .002"-.003" over "Trim to Length" specs, and call it done.
    IMO, the length of all does not need to be EXACTLY TTL specs., more that they are all within .002" or so of each other..Bill.

Top Bottom