• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’be been looking at starting to reload for several months. I’ve got one if the Lyman books and have been reading through it while I decide if this is something that I want to get into. I’m not needing high quantity reloading, the primary use will be for 10mm and 357s.

Looking around today, I found the Lyman Ultimate Reloading System. I was originally looking at the Lee kits, but this Lyman looks to be a more complete kit.

Lyman Ultimate Reloading System : Cabela's

Any thoughts from INGO on this kit?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    That looks to be a really complete system. I thought the price seemed a bit high until I seen all the stuff that came with it. I am sure someone will be around soon that has one and can give more info.

Right off the bat I'd say it looks good.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I haven’t shopped around for pricing yet. Figured Cabela’s would be on the high side of pricing. It is more than I really wanted to spend, but there is a value in buying most of it at once if the components are worth it.

I guess part of my concern is that I’d buy it and then find out the Lyman T-Mag press isn’t worth the cost. Or the rest of parts included are all low end options that’ll die in 3 months.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I am willing to help in any way I can .....

I don't know everything, but I have been reloading

for about 30 years .....

I don't always check INGO, daily, but if and when you're ready, get hold of me .....

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I haven’t shopped around for pricing yet. Figured Cabela’s would be on the high side of pricing. It is more than I really wanted to spend, but there is a value in buying most of it at once if the components are worth it.

I guess part of my concern is that I’d buy it and then find out the Lyman T-Mag press isn’t worth the cost. Or the rest of parts included are all low end options that’ll die in 3 months.

I have that tumbler in the setup and it's solid. A press is a press to a certain degree. I know RCBS and Lee are solid. I bought the Lee Breach Lock for the price. I really wanted the RCSB Rock Chucker. I have no regrets though. I have loaded ten's of thousand of rounds threw it. Lee and RCSB have awesome customer service. I imagine that Lyman does too.

I'd take SSGSAD up in his offer of help and info. If you can get some "hands on" experience, take it. I had a lot of help locally when I started reloading. It helped me a lot!

Hopefully someone with the Lyman will chime in with some experience.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    SSGSAD - I’ll have lots of questions as I progress on this and any help I can get will be greatly appreciated.

Double T - Why is that you wish you had gone with a progressive?

My primary use will be 10mms and .357s and we will be looking at under 200rds a month for each. 9mm may get added in, but right now it’s so cheap it’s not a driving factor. If I added in 9mm at some point we would be in the 400rds/month range.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I just want to crank out us much ammo as possible. When I load for handguns, I'm not really loading for precision. I do like that I can slow down on this press, but I just wish I had a progressive for my handgun ammo needs. Have contemptated buying a cheap lee turret to do this faster :)

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    That price might be a little high but it is a complete set and all quality equipment. If you can get a mentor grab them.... I have both Dillon and RCBS single stage the single stage is the way to go to learn the trade. The progressive can come down the road. While a progressive is nice for volume loading there is a lot going on and hard for someone starting out to monitor all that is happening, The other down side to a progressive is the cost to load multiple calibers, The conversion kits and extra tool head add up fast. I been in theloading game for 30+ years and still using the second hand equipment I bought when I was in high school. Lyman is quaility so it is a lifetime purchase.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    A little shopping around I've found the same kit listed @ $499. The cost is easier to handle when it's a one and done purchase. Other than the dies & components, is there anything else that should be bought that the kit doesn't have?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    It looks pretty complete to me. I can tell you that I love the case prep tool and the tumbler (I have those). The bullet puller should be fine. It comes with calipers and a powder measuring setup. You got a press. I think you are set. Just need brass, powder, primers and projectiles.

You can never have to many manuals. I use the Lee, Lyman, Hornady and Nosler books. You can never have to much info! the Lyman is a awesome book to start with. It has a great how to in the front. Read it and learn it well. Please ask some questions if you a have any doubts, issues or questions. Things can go bad in a hurry if things are wrong. Never assume anything about reloading! This is the best advice I got. If you can get some bench time with a local take it. I worked with 3 guys that reload. I pestered them a lot at first.

Reloading is really rewarding. And (depending on the round it) can save a lot of money. I load for accuracy. My hand loads are much better then any box ammo.

Be safe and have some fun.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I immediately took priming system off my T-Mag 2 press. It gets in the way of rotating the turret. (I think that was my issue with it... it's been several years.) I use the RCBS universal hand priming tool, and I like it better than priming on the press anyway.

Your experience may vary.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've been doing more price shopping around and here is what I've come up with, I used Grafs for all of the pricing.

Lyman Ultimate System - 499.99

or piecing things together

Frankford Arsenal Platinum Depriming - 35.99
    Hornady Lock-N-Load Sonic Case Cleaner - 79.99
    Lee Classic Turret Press - 113.99
    Lee Ergo Hand Priming - 36.99
    Lyman Micro Touch 1500 Electronic Scale - 57.99
    Lyman Acutrimmer - 58.99
    Graf Bullet Puller - 18.99

Total - 410.99

Is there anything I'm missing (other than the dies) or better products that could be substituted?

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    You'll need shell holders for the hand primer, calipers for checking OAL, and if you are reloading rifle you'll need a chamfer/debur tool.

As for products that could be substituted, you can get a good off brand ultrasonic cleaner if you wish for cheaper, or even go with a dry tumbler... but ultimately that's just preference. Also, if you have a drill, you could go with the Lee trimmer set up and save quite a bit. Not sure why you want to deprime off of the press, but again, it's your money.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have calipers already so that one is covered and just 10mm/357 Mag for starting, 9mm will be added at some point. 22TCM is the closest I’ll have to rifle caliber for the foreseeable future and until I have experience I won’t be trying that one.

i’ll look into the other brand ultra sonic cleaners. I don’t really have a good reason for the deprimer, I had the hand primer and decided there should be a hand deprimer. But if I don’t need one that’s an easy off the list.

Swapping to the Lyman drill and dropping the deprimer, gets the total to a much better place.

Is the Lyman scale I have listed a sold choice or should I spend a little more there for a nicer option?

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Quick scan of that kit and your needs: I think you're right to look at other options! It may be a great kit, but I don't think it fits your needs.

From your list above : forget the case trimmer and the bullet puller. You don't need a case trimmer for handguns. And you'd have to pull hundreds of bullets to ever pay for the puller. Oh, and prime on the press, so you can remove that too. Works quite well on this press. (I've heard they may have updated the system and made it worse, so I could be wrong)

Lee classic turret is the absolute obvious choice for the needs you stated.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’ve been have double posts issues all over the place this weekend, phone and computer. Weird.

Thanks for all the help guys! This is why I asked before I bought anything. It’s very easy to get overwhelmed with the choices.

Based on what everyone has told me, the basics for me to get started are:
    -Manual (have the Lyman #49)
    -Calipers (Have those as well)
    -Press
    -Scale
    -Way to clean the brass
    -Dies

I should get one of the tools that cleans up the primer pocket as well, shouldn’t I?

Top Bottom