• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My AR-10 loves federal gold medal match. With them, I can shoot sub moa. I bought some Hornady a-max match in 168 grain thinking that the same weight bullet would be good. Nope - two inch moa. This got me thinking about hand loads.

My experience with loading is limited to 12 gauge shotgun shells 30+ years ago - in other words - zero so bear with me.

Why is hand loading better than factory loads? I would assume an expensive machine would give more precision than what anyone could buy. If I were to hand load, it wouldn't be much - maybe 30 rounds a year, so I really couldn't see justifying anything expensive. Since my rifle likes federal, I'll use them, but I need something for hunting. How cheap could I go and still be able to make a good hunting round?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    The big difference with factory vs. handloading is how much control you can have over case dimensions. Factories just do not have the time or equipment to trim to length, turn necks, weigh cases, etc. It actually amazes me that factories put out the quality of ammo that they do.

I'll post more later.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I'm guessing 308? Buddy of mine loads them for around 37 cents each.....200 bucks, Lee press, cci primers, pulled 147 grain bullets....how much do you shoot is my question....

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If you are only shooting 30 rounds a year and have no interest in shooting more, I would stick to the Federal GM that you say works well for you. If you are sub moa with it, you aren’t going to do much better reloading.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Federal gold medal match is not a full metal jacket so it should be fine hunting in Indiana.

Maybe he was instead saying that it is not a good IDEA to use it for hunting in Indiana?

That could be true.

Cranial shots are fine, and chest shots at short range, but beyond 300 yards or so, it's probably not a good idea to use a MatchKing unless it is really movin'.

But yeah. It's legal.

-Nate

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Yeah since the matchking is not a hunting expanding bullet. They make the gamekings for that. And with the consistency with factory ammo is pretty darn good these days but you'll always have better control as mentioned above with the tuned handloads.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Personally I think it would be hard to justify starting to handload if you are only doing 30 rounds a year. I would suggest finding a couple good hunting rounds and seeing if they shoot with reasonable accuracy. Being 308, I don't think you'll find any shortage on choices. Unless you're trying to shoot squirrels, 1 MOA would suffice IMO. A lot of people handload to find a sweet spot for their particular gun by getting the max velocity.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If your rifle is capable of shooting sub MOA with two different factory loads, (presuming you do your part! ;) ) then you can certainly find a factory load with a suitable hunting bullet that also shoots well.

You don't need sub MOA for hunting ammo, as long as your shots are at reasonable distances. Most deer in Indiana are shot at 100 yards or less.

It makes no sense for you to reload if you're only shooting 30 rounds of ammo per year. Since you're new to all of this, and it seems like maybe your form is not all that consistent, maybe you should shoot more rounds, so that when you're under the stress of a hunting situation, your muscle memory is sufficient to allow you to make a good shot. Just a thought.

Top Bottom