• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I stopped by Bobcat for some 9mm 124gr bullets a couple weeks back. He was out of stock. So I went to Cabelas and grabbed a box of 250 to get me by. I goofed and instead of RN I bought RNFP. I loaded them up anyway for fun.

Holy hell the difference in what it does to the paper is amazing. Instead of a tiny hole with big radial rips they leave a nice open circle with a definitive grease ring. Almost like somebody took a hole punch to the target. I'm hooked. It is SOOOOO much easier to call your hits with those larger holes. (And cheaper than buying a 45 LOL)

Im finding that plated HPs are actually a little cheaper than FPs.

So here is the actual questions: Anyone have any experience with both HP and FP? Do the HPs also punch a nice clean hole since they pretty much also have a flat profile? And I havent tried the FPs on cardboard competition targets. Do they (both HP/FP) also perform better than RNs on cardboard?

I'm thinking I am switching to something other than RNs. I really like how they work.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I am not sure I have the *exact* answer you are looking for, but I also have switched all my 9mm loads to two types:

-HP 124 gr for most of my shooting. I load them to just make Minor Power Factor.
    -FN 100 gr "Mouse Fart" loads for Steel Challenge matches and light loads (my wife loves them).

I agree that both loads make nice, pretty holes in paper, and especially in cardboard. I never really looked to compare them before, but I would have to say that the FN loads probably make nice holes, but remember this is coming from an old guy who gets a pass on memory issues.

The biggest advantage to me is that they have proven to be more accurate for me than RN loads. I am still loading some RN's for my .45, although I am also working up some SWC loads for the .45, but no data yet. Holes in paper are all fine and good, but for me, the accuracy difference is easy to spot.

BTW, I prefer the HPs over the FN's when it comes to accuracy, but only by a bit.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I don't remember the company but they made a plated target boolit with a hex shaped hollow cavity in the front. It was not a HP, they even stated so on the packaging, but was supposed to mimic the XTP round for accuracy. Glueman had some and they left good holes in the paper.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Yeah, those target hollow points are a bit better - the idea (correct me if I'm wrong) is that it keeps more of the weight in the rear. The hollow point is not meant to expand, it's simply meant to keep a longer shape (and help with loading in a semi-auto) AND keep more weight in the rear. In addition to that, the flat-ish nose makes nicer holes.

It's never to late to come over to the dark side of revolvers... and shoot some wadcutters or semi-wadcutters :)

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Hmm, for stability in a model rocket you need more weight in the nose. Perhaps because it is free flight under power as opposed to accelerating in a barrel? I know that in model rocketry if you don't have more weight in the nose that thing is going everywhere but where you pointed it...I have built spin stabilized rockets before but still held to the more weight up front rule. Then again they wouldn't have stabilized until they were spinning so you'd be back to 'holy hand basket where is that thing headed' until it built speed. Interesting question.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Hmm, for stability in a model rocket you need more weight in the nose. Perhaps because it is free flight under power as opposed to accelerating in a barrel? I know that in model rocketry if you don't have more weight in the nose that thing is going everywhere but where you pointed it...I have built spin stabilized rockets before but still held to the more weight up front rule. Then again they wouldn't have stabilized until they were spinning so you'd be back to 'holy hand basket where is that thing headed' until it built speed. Interesting question.

Could the difference have to do with rotation from the rifling? Many target RIFLE projectiles seem to follow the same idea of lightening up the front and keeping weight in the back ----also perhaps to keep the same weight in a longer package for less drag/higher BC??

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Rocketry and external ballistics are different sciences and therefore not translatable from one to another.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I was told that the HP it the plated helped them flatten easier when shooting steels. On the Jacketed like Montana golds they make the cup and the HP is just were the swage was finished so that the base is soild metal jacket if that makes sense.

Top Bottom