• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fender

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    southern indiana
    Looking for some load recipes for a bolt action 30/06 around 300 savage levels. My daughters are young adults and wanting to deer hunt. would like to hear some suggestions of proven bullets and powder charge. I have multiple 06's and want to use them considering I will be handing them down some day hopefully with good memories for the girl's. 150 yds long shots for our hunting area. Thanks

fender

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    southern indiana
    I have used unique in the past for cast bullets in a rifle where fouling would be an issue if velocity was over 1600 fps.. It caused some headspace issues when I used the reused brass for jacketed loads. Not sure why so I stopped using pistol powder in rifles. Love it for medium 44 mag loads though

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    30-'06W-WWLR/CCI200Nosler125gr BTH489545gr3.275"Reduced recoil load

The above load data is derived from the Hodgdon Youth Loads, mentioned earlier. From a 22" 03A3 barrel, this load develops just a tad over 2,600fps and has worked well on half a dozen northern Michigan deer. Recoil is about like a 243 Winchester. I would not recommend these for more than the 150 yards you mentioned, but actually feel that youth should be encouraged to take shots no more than half that distance.

Velocity can be lowered even further, if needed, but accuracy was best (in my gun) at this charge weight. Your gun will likely be different.

To kids, muzzle blast IS recoil...plugs and muffs while shooting will help with that.

fender

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    southern indiana
    I couldn't get access on the Hogdgon site at first but it let me in the 4th time. The last two loads are what I was hoping to hear. I like to start with something that is performing for someone else than tweak for my rifle. I have 3031,4895, 4350 in imr and 4895,4350 and 4831 in Hogdgon. I keep bullseye, unique and 2400 for all my handgun loads.

fender

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    southern indiana
    Been down with the flu. I have always used Imr or H4895 like they were the same but, never as a reduced load. Is there a difference I'm not aware of? I got the girls using a savage 99 in 300 and a ruger carbine in 44 mag for now. I think I will try the cast bullet load considering I bought 1000 180gr bullets at a gun show years ago to play with in a 1903 Springfield sporter. It is set up like a NRA sporter but not identical. I enjoy the history and nostalgia of the early 20th century hunting rifle.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    From a reduced load perspective, I do not know that you can treat IMR and H4895 the same. They ONLY list reduced load data (60% of any MAX published load) for H4895.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Trail Boss is a good option, but not as flexible as H4895. With the latter, you can work your way up from mild to basically full-throttle, depending on the cartridge. Also, you have to be careful with your fill percentage when using Trail Boss. It's really at its best with cartridges from the black powder era, or thereabouts. H4895 is a powder every rifle reloader should have around, if you shoot anything bigger than a 22 centerfire.

fender

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    southern indiana
    I agree about H4895. I have found it will produce an acceptable load in every rifle I reload for. Maybe not the highest performance but good solid results. It is the unique of rifle powder to me. I don't have any of the recommended 125gr.BT on hand but I do have some HDY 130gr.SP #3020. Do you think they would give similar performance on deer as the Nosler in the reduced load? I bought them to hot rod a 300 blk than realized why bother the blackout is for super heavy and quiet not fast and light. Thanks

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I agree about H4895. I have found it will produce an acceptable load in every rifle I reload for. Maybe not the highest performance but good solid results. It is the unique of rifle powder to me. I don't have any of the recommended 125gr.BT on hand but I do have some HDY 130gr.SP #3020. Do you think they would give similar performance on deer as the Nosler in the reduced load? I bought them to hot rod a 300 blk than realized why bother the blackout is for super heavy and quiet not fast and light. Thanks

I load the 130gr Hornady Spire Point bullets in my son's 308 for plinking. They are also a reduced load of around 30gr, creating light recoil and a mild report compared to the full-throttle stuff. I would not hesitate to use it on deer out to 150 yards, or so.

fender

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    southern indiana
    I ended up loading 150gr sierra pro hunters and 47gr. IMR 4895 for a reduced load. In a '03 Springfield it's not a real kicker. Using the 150's, I didn't have to reset my dies. Some time this summer I plan to set up another seating die with the 125gr or 130gr bullet and H4895 this years deer season.

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    Trail Boss is a good option, but not as flexible as H4895. With the latter, you can work your way up from mild to basically full-throttle, depending on the cartridge. Also, you have to be careful with your fill percentage when using Trail Boss. It's really at its best with cartridges from the black powder era, or thereabouts. H4895 is a powder every rifle reloader should have around, if you shoot anything bigger than a 22 centerfire.

Trail Boss is a bulky powder meant for reduced loads and still have good loading density, I started using Trail Boss when SR4759 was discontinued and use it in .223, .243, .308, 30-06 .303 British .357 magnum and .44 magnum. And none of these cartridges are black powder cartridges and light .38 Special/.357magnum loads with Trail boss are the favorite of Cowboy Action Shooting.

Low Recoil Loads (from Hodgdon's website)
    Low Recoil Loads | Hodgdon Reloading
    "If the goal is minimum recoil, the answer is Hodgdon Trail Boss powder. The second tab under the website DATA menu is titled “Trail Boss Reduced Loads. Trail Boss can be applied to any cartridge you may want to reload. Trail Boss reloads are very mild and easy to shoot. Designed for Cowboy Action Shooting, Trail Boss has proven to be a great way to get more practice with your big bore hunting rifle."

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    Thanks for the info bigedp51. I will put it on the radar for testing this spring. I plan to try out the cast loads and 4895 reduced as well.

With Trail Boss loads you can not double charge your cases vs light charges of faster burning pistol and shotgun powders. On top of this the Trail Boss loads will nearly fill the case and not be position sensitive.

Below with Titegroup and HP38 it is possible to double charge a .357 case, "but" not with Trail Boss due to its shape and bulk.

yNNaO1A.jpg
    http://kwk.us/cases.html

Top Bottom