• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Tried my inexpensive Caldwell chrono and for me its finicky. It doesnt register most of the time no matter what I do. I finally gave up. I even tried a second one and same thing. Out of a 10 shot string, it would only read 2 or 3 successfully.

Looking at the LabRadar units, they appear to not suffer the same alignment/environmental issues as other solutions.

But at $500, its quite the investment. But is it worth it? I'd be using it for working up new loads but thats it. And that is why I have a hard time justifying; I can see myself not needing it once I got the loads dialed in.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I really like mine, although it isn't all that intuitive to use. I have to break out the instruction overtime I use it. The targeting/alignment "system" could be better, but having said that, I have never had an issue with getting it to read which would indicate it isn't that sensitive to it.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Tried my inexpensive Caldwell chrono and for me its finicky. It doesnt register most of the time no matter what I do. I finally gave up. I even tried a second one and same thing. Out of a 10 shot string, it would only read 2 or 3 successfully.

Looking at the LabRadar units, they appear to not suffer the same alignment/environmental issues as other solutions.

But at $500, its quite the investment. But is it worth it? I'd be using it for working up new loads but thats it. And that is why I have a hard time justifying; I can see myself not needing it once I got the loads dialed in.

Are you using the caldwell on cloudy days or in the shade?

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    As I mentioned in the Chargemaster thread, I love mine and have no issues at all with it. I use it all the time for load development and for spot checking loads that I have made and/or purchased. It is so easy to setup and use, it gets more use than a standard chronograph, at least for me.

I have no issues with the aiming/aligning part, although I have seen some talk about others with issues, and having to tape a straw the top as a mini scope. Never had an issue with this.

Also, personally, I do not need to get out the instructions to use use it, but I do not dispute @Sling10mm's comments that you definitely need to read the instructions to get it to function properly.

There are never weather issues, and you can adjust the sensitivity to taste. I have used it outdoors (easy) and even at an indoor range with another shooter that was 2 bays over. I was right next to the cement wall, and I thought there was no way this thing was going to work. I was wrong, it functioned flawlessly and by adjusting the sensitivity down, I had ZERO false triggers.

For me, it is total lack of hassle that makes this thing priceless in my mind. I am setup in less than 2 minutes, and have data collected within a minute after that. I have a cheap tripod that I bought from Amazon that works perfectly for me, and I do use the portable USB battery packs rather than the internal battery compartment. I heard that this unit drains batteries quickly, so I never even tried to use the internal batteries. I had a couple of extra USB external battery packs laying around, I threw them in my Labradar bag and have never had an issue with battery life. FWIW, I did NOT buy the expensive Labradar bag or stand. I use an old laptop soft-sided briefcase-style bag to carry the Labradar, a small log book (so I can remember which loads are which) and the extra batteries.

This is one of those things that once you own one, you wonder how you lived without it! I cannot say enough good things about them, but I agree, they ARE PRICEY. The Midway USA Black Friday Sale helps a bit with the cost, but it is still not cheap. When you consider that for $500, you can almost buy a Dillon XL650, you have really decide if it is worth it in the grand scheme of things. For me, it was worth every penny.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That's my question. If or when I should buy. I'm all over Doublehelix's good review, yet I have a couple hundred plus into the CED I bought a dozen years ago. The LabRadar looks so much better, but...

LabRadar's only been out a couple/3 years. I'd like to see what competition and user guinea pig's add to it. Never forget, buying the Millennium and CED coming out with version II within a few months. :xmad:

$500 is a lot of jack to toss out to find competition or the market brought something better or cheaper next year.

I'm thinking I'll just muddle through with my antique gear until I'm closer to being final, then go shooting with Doublehelix. ;)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Are you using the caldwell on cloudy days or in the shade?

Typically I am under cover of a tin roof. I have tried with and without the shades and no difference.

Thanks DH and Sling. I may have to consider selling a toy to help fund it.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    We use them and they are great. One device replaced the need for multiple units we were using previously.

Let us know if you need help acquiring one....we are a dealer.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    We use them and they are great. One device replaced the need for multiple units we were using previously.

Let us know if you need help acquiring one....we are a dealer.

I know. Seeing the boxes in the display case jogged my memory. You are at the top of my distributor list, sir.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Typically I am under cover of a tin roof....

The Caldwell needs light to work and should not be in the shade under a "tin roof".

Also, how far away from the muzzle do you place it? Too close and the muzzle blast will interfere and prevent getting a reading. It should be placed at least 10-15' away. The larger the muzzle blast, the farther away it needs to be.

I've never had a problem with my Caldwell that wasn't "user induced".

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013

I also have the Caldwell with the lighting kit and have used it in all kinds of outdoor lighting from cloudless and sunny to full cloud cover and it has never failed to work yet. Do you have the lighting kit for it? For me it's been great. Can't justify the cost of a Lab Radar or a 35p, so Caldwell was the best deal out there. And I'm not being a SA but are you sure you're setting it up correctly? distance from muzzle, level etc?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Forgot about this thread.

Yes, running it 10' away. I have an email into them to ask about what they think about the light kit. On one hand, $50 for the light kit is better than $500. But on the other hand, I really dont have $50 to waste either.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I love mine. It is so easy to use that I can set it up in a few minutes and I can accuracy test as well as velocity test at the same time. I have not noticed weather to be an issue.

The one time I have run into problems with it was when I was using a Noveske KX muzzle device on my 300 blackout and it kept the sensor from tripping, because all of the muzzle blast was being direct forward of the Labradar. I just started placing the Labradar in front of the muzzle several inches and it picked it back up. I have had no such issues with handguns or rifles with more conventional muzzle devices.

The only real negative I have about it is that it sucks batteries. I don't remember exactly what connection it has but I tried to hook it up to an external battery one time and it didn't work. Haven't played with that since, but that would be a LARGE improvement if one could use a portable external battery like the ones we have for our phones now. It takes 8AAs IIRC, and depending upon your use, it goes through them quickly. I had one outing last year where I was testing a lot of ammo and I killed 16 AAs.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    The only real negative I have about it is that it sucks batteries. I don't remember exactly what connection it has but I tried to hook it up to an external battery one time and it didn't work. Haven't played with that since, but that would be a LARGE improvement if one could use a portable external battery like the ones we have for our phones now. It takes 8AAs IIRC, and depending upon your use, it goes through them quickly. I had one outing last year where I was testing a lot of ammo and I killed 16 AAs.

I have never even used the internal batteries because I had heard about the battery drain problem before I bought my LBR.

The connection is a micro-USB port under the door on the front, bottom right of the unit (opposite to the SD card door). My battery pack has a standard full-sized USB port, so my cable is a micro-USB to Full-sized USB cable. Works great! I have two battery packs in my bag so I never take a chance of running out of juice.

My unit does shut itself down periodically for no apparent reason, even in the middle of a shooting string. Does yours do this? I have to keep an eye on it between shots to make sure that it is still on each time. Pretty annoying. I need to contact the manufacturer to ask them what is up with this.

GreyState

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2017
    Ft Wayne
    My unit does shut itself down periodically for no apparent reason, even in the middle of a shooting string. Does yours do this? I have to keep an eye on it between shots to make sure that it is still on each time. Pretty annoying. I need to contact the manufacturer to ask them what is up with this.

Just saw this thread - Short answer to OP's question: Absolutely.

Doublehelix's original post pretty much summed it up for me. The only thing I would pile on is specifically, the advantage of using the device at a range that has scheduled cease-fires. One big issue I had with Caldwells or Competition Electronics, etc is that I like to shoot groups and chrono simultaneously, and if you don't get the setup angle just right, you could eaither be off target or worse have the chrono skewed and shooting for speed data would be missing the target completely. This caused a lot of pressure on getting everything done when you had to add going downrange to hang/swith out targets.

The Labradar totally removes this stress at a range that operates like this. It's right there at arms length and can be adjusted while the range is hot.

I also completely agree that this is a device where you need to read the manual (a couple of times) and take it with you (or bookmark their website on your phone) the first couple of times you use it.
    Now it goes with me all of the time, I built myself a flat table-top base and mounted a camera tripod ball/swivel head to mount the Labradar to. Works like a champ. I too have used it indoors. outdoors, and in cruddy weather, switching to a tripod when the situation calls for it (usually handguns)

To address the quote above - the only time I have issues is when I use a heavier caliber (something with a 308 case for example), I have the unit on shooter's right, and I'm using an SD card to capture the more robust data. My theory is that the percussion of the blast is causing intermittent contact issues with the SD card, and causing the power off/resets. I moved the unit to shooter's left, and the problem went away. (The SD card is near the left side of the unit and placing it shooter's left puts more real estate between the muzzle and the SD card.

And yes, it sucks batteries, I use an Anker external battery brick.

One last thing I'll say, is that the unit is so easy and convenient to set-up, it allowed me to easily begin work on a video series, capturing factory load speeds out of everyday guns and publishing them. I couldn't do this using a traditional light based chrono, the setup, for where I shoot, made it larglely too much of a PITA to accomplish. You can see the Labradar in use here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhFzInzW12cr-ZYF_hb27pL-ARLC1hiIw

ps. if you check out the videos, and then go to some of my others, you will see the LabRadar in most of the not "Bullet Time" ones...I use it that much.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    As a followup to my comment about my units shutting down periodically: I sent an email to Labradar, and they CALLED me directly within an HOUR!!! WOW! Great customer service.

They think it is a loose USB cable (bad connection) to the battery pack, and the blast from the muzzle is causing the connection to come undone. Similar to what @GreyState says above about the SD card.

This makes total sense as my USB cable does seem a bit funky the way it plugs into the battery pack. I have another cable and I am going to try it next time I go out to the range (if the weather stays warm like it has been...).

Top Bottom