• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Long story short, we lost our home to a fire this past Tuesday.
    I had several boxes of primers that got damp but not soaked. I believe only the outer box was damp but not sure as it took about 48 hours to get to them.
    Are they junk? Not worth risking to use? Maybe test?

Thanks, Matt

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I would load them in ammo I am not depending on to save my life, or my families lives, or to win a match.

I cant imagine losing my home to a fire. And all of it contents. Is this really all that concerns you? A few bucks in primers?

Is there anything you or your family needs?

Last edited:

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I would load them in ammo I am not depending on to save my life, or my families lives, or to win a match.

I cant imagine losing my home to a fire. And all of it contents. Is this really all that concerns you?

Is there anything you or your family needs?

To be honest, thinking about this kind of stuff gets my mind off of the rest of it all. We’ve been sifting through the rubble for “important “ things for the last three days.
    So far, insurance has been fantastic and everyone we have dealt with has been very helpful. Biggest issue now is finding a semi permanent place to live while our place is demo’ed and rebuilt. Two big dogs makes finding a local rental much harder especially for a short term lease.

Matt

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I've read that water won't hurt a primer but I haven't personally tested that. Sorry for the loss of your home. That's terrible. Hopefully everyone is ok.

Jim McKalip

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    I gambled and bought a few thousand primers whose boxes had been water damaged. Normally, when I gamble I lose, but this time I won. Every blessed one of them worked just fine and I had saved a pretty fair chunk of change.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    HOA Nazis
    I parked my motorhome in the driveway for 6 days while I was doing some interior repairs. Got a letter from HOA about “debris” in driveway. I never left anything in the driveway except the motorhome! I realize it’s not pretty but debris?????

:)::):

No no way I want to live in a trailer the next several months while rebuilding!

Matt

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Once they dry, they are fine. Primer compound is worked wet at the factory for safety reasons. It's designed to get wet and dry out fine.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    After digging through more of the ashes and rubble, I found a magazine belt with 4 full AR magazines that have been submerged now for a week. I believe them to be some of my plinking reloads. Definitely 55 grain loads anyway.
    Try em or toss em? After they dry out a few days of course.

Matt

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have no doubt believing BBI. That said, you already have an insurance claim working. Why not claim everything that could even possibly be damaged by the situation? If the storage containers/packaging is damaged, that is still damage. :dunno:

Just because they are usable, does not mean they are 100% trustworthy, right?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    IIRC most insurance cover very little for firearm related items.

Then this should be a lesson to us all. I'd be interested to see how this comes out for the OP.

Personally, I have whatever my State Farm homeowners covers and 12 grand of Armscare Plus. Thankfully, no idea how either would play out with a claim. :dunno:

Incidentally, speaking of and to the OP;
    Matt,
    If there is anything that we can do for you in this difficult time, individually or as a group, please say the word.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Matt,
    If there is anything that we can do for you in this difficult time, individually or as a group, please say the word.

Thanks for the offer but the only thing I’m currently stressing over is doing the inventory of non salvageables. Between my guns, guitars and model planes and helicopters plus the drawers of hardware and spares for those, I’m going to have my work cut out for me.
    I cant say enough about how good our local State Farm agent has been treating us and helping us through this mess. The rest of the insurance team has been fantastic as well. I hope this continues through to the point we get to move back into our newly rebuilt home!
    As to Singlesix’s comment, I had discussed firearms and accessories with my agent years ago. He said that my current limits on firearms were only like $2000. But related gear like reloading presses, components and ammo were not subject to the firearm limits.
    I won’t have to test any of those limits though as 98% of my gun related stuff has been salvaged. Nowhere near a good of a percentage on the guitar and RC stuff though.
    Matt

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    After digging through more of the ashes and rubble, I found a magazine belt with 4 full AR magazines that have been submerged now for a week. I believe them to be some of my plinking reloads. Definitely 55 grain loads anyway.

Matt
    I once washed one of my spare loaded mags on accident. Once air dried for a week, every round went bang. So If it were me, I'd shoot em. These were Barnes factory loads, but I don't think they were sealed with anything.

If you fire them, definitely be aware there is a chance of a squib.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Matt

I'd pull them, personally. See if the powder is clumped. I'm not familiar with every powder out there, but at least some can get wet and dry out ok. The ones with a retardant coating, I'm not sure if they are ok. Unless I was real hard up, I'd probably load them with fresh powder just to be on the safe side unless I was positive the powder used was designed to allow for getting wet.

BrianT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2017
    Butlerville
    I had several boxes of Winchester primers that were horribly tarnished during the big buying frenzy around 08. They work about as well as all of the other primers I have. They have to have been improperly stored. Sorry to hear about the fire, I hope you guys are getting things settled.

Top Bottom