• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    Looking to get a little more reliable and faster way to measure my powder charges. I mainly reload 9mm, .45acp, .223, and .44special. So something that will work for all those would be great.

I have been looking at a few different ones but I haven't really felt solid about any of them especially with the price of some. I mean as a college age kid I can't afford $150-200 for just a powder measure.
    So here is what I am looking at so far,
    This is the first one, looks fairly decent. And also it is on sale right now.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/290524/hornady-lock-n-load-powder-measure

And this is the second one.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/762907/lee-deluxe-perfect-powder-measure

I don't know enough to say what makes a powder measure good or bad just from Looking at the specs so any thoughts or help would be awesome. Generally both Lee and hornady make quality products.
    I would also prefer something meters multiple different powders very well as I use a few different things (autocomp, trail boss, blue dot, bullseye and possibly others later on)

So any help is awesome

PS. If you happen to have an extra or old one sitting around and wanna make a deal I am all for that too lol

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Lee Perfect is the only measure I'd mess with below a Harrell. That whole "polymer wiper" thingy is no joke...it throws coarse powder better than any other known mechanical measure south of Culver style premium throwers.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I normally load on my Dillon using a Dillon powder drop, but I also have a Lee Classic Turret Press that I use occasionally for load development, and on that I use a Lee AutoDrum powder drop.

I was just working up some .45 SWC loads on the Lee (I hadn't used it in several months), and I was just amazed at how accurately the Lee powder drop worked. I guess I get so used to the Dillon that I forget about the Lee. My personal opinion is that even though the Dillon works just fine, the Lee is much more accurate from what I can tell.

I am not sure if the Lee Perfect Powder Measure is based on the AutoDrum, but if it is, I would have to say that it would be a great choice. I also love that you can give the canister a quick turn that shuts off the powder flow from the canister. This is very nice feature that makes emptying the device much easier than on the Dillon. This is a simple feature that all power drops need to incorporate!!!

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    coarse powder better than any other known mechanical measure south of Culver style premium throwers.

I've a Harrell and some others, as well as a proven scale. What powders do you consider 'coarse'? What has been the disparity between your Harrell and what else?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I normally load on my Dillon using a Dillon powder drop, but I also have a Lee Classic Turret Press that I use occasionally for load development, and on that I use a Lee AutoDrum powder drop.

I was just working up some .45 SWC loads on the Lee (I hadn't used it in several months), and I was just amazed at how accurately the Lee powder drop worked. I guess I get so used to the Dillon that I forget about the Lee. My personal opinion is that even though the Dillon works just fine, the Lee is much more accurate from what I can tell.

I am not sure if the Lee Perfect Powder Measure is based on the AutoDrum, but if it is, I would have to say that it would be a great choice. I also love that you can give the canister a quick turn that shuts off the powder flow from the canister. This is very nice feature that makes emptying the device much easier than on the Dillon. This is a simple feature that all power drops need to incorporate!!!

This has my attention peaked. Wonder If the Lee Autodrum would drop Clays any more consistently than the Dillon?

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    This has my attention peaked. Wonder If the Lee Autodrum would drop Clays any more consistently than the Dillon?

I have never loaded with Clays, so I can't compare, but last week when I was working up those .45 loads, I used Bullseye, W231 and Titegroup, and all three seemed to be dispensed more accurately with the Lee. All 3 of these powders are flake style, I do not load any stick powders through either dispenser, but rather use my RCBS Loadmaster.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have never loaded with Clays, so I can't compare, but last week when I was working up those .45 loads, I used Bullseye, W231 and Titegroup, and all three seemed to be dispensed more accurately with the Lee. All 3 of these powders are flake style, I do not load any stick powders through either dispenser, but rather use my RCBS Loadmaster.

I have a lot of Clays to use up and have had some inconsistencies with the Dillon measure. It was less of a concern when loading .45 ACP, but now I'm only loading 9mm, where more precision is required.

Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    I would love to know which one is more accurate.
    I do a few powders, mainly autocomp, bullseye and blue dot. But I'm starting to load stuff for some revolvers so I may be using some trail boss. Not sure how well that will meter.

I am gonna go and pickup a Lee deluxe perfect measure since a local place has one for a decent deal. We will see how she does

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I use the Lee for my rifle loadings and it does a fine job. It's usually within .2 gns with a stick powder such as H4895. For my pistol loads I use the Lee Auto Drum on my progressive and it drops Titegroup at 4.4 gns 19/20 times. The one that was off was at 4.3. I have no idea how the Dillon does, but for the money Lee does a great job, they are much more accurate and consistent than my Hornady Auto Charge.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I have seen folks that have modified their Dillon presses with Lee powder drops! Believe it or not! I would never do that, but I do find it interesting how accurate that silly, inexpensive Lee AutoDisk can be. Once again, I am not sure if it has been determined that the Lee Perfect Measure has the same design as the AutoDisk, but I am guessing that they are similar.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have used the RCBS Uniflows for years and have been very satisfied with their consistency. I have two, one set up with a small drum and the other large. I don't shoot in bulk, so I still take the time to weigh every charge on stick powders and they rarely vary more than .1 either direction, but that little bit is enough that I like to drop them low and trickle up. Spherical drops dead on.

Last edited:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I started on Lee. It was accurate although it shot powder out the sides of it. I had to keep a paper plate under it while loading and dump it back in every once in awhile.

I now use a RCBS Uniflow, Dillon, and have a Chargemaster for working up new loads. No complaints on any of those. Quality is much better than the Lee.

Your style of loading and budget will determine what is needed.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I use the Lee pro auto disk and it is good for everything I need. Since it works on volume, it is generally concise between loads. It seems to have some variance of about +/- .06 gr, which is fine for me. (that's my estimate)

If I were shooting benchrest at long distances, I would find a more meticulous and precise way, but it works well for me now (and is relatively fast and cheap)

Using double disks also gives some more options, but it makes that tolerance grow a bit, since there's a little wiggle in the disks and the have to align slightly different sized holes (larger hole on bottom helps with this).

Since it incorporates into my Lee Classic Turret quite well, I like it for the price and the convenience.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I have a lot of Clays to use up and have had some inconsistencies with the Dillon measure. It was less of a concern when loading .45 ACP, but now I'm only loading 9mm, where more precision is required.

Define precision, are you looking for 0.1 difference between drops or 0.5 tolerance? In my experience my cheapo lee powder disk measure typically stays within 0.3 using bullseye, unique and be-86. Of course that works fine for my needs at the time.

Top Bottom