• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Picked up a TC Compass for my son to shoot along with some factory Winchester ammo.
    Looking ahead to get some powder for this when those are spent.

I picked up 500 100gr softpoint projectiles however don't mind a different bullet if that will work better.

What are the preferred powders for .243 Win?

thanks

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    4064, RE-15, Varget, N140.

With Hundreds, just get a can of IMR 4064 and prove to yourself that the standard loads are as good as they always were.

-Nate

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    While the medium-slow powders mentioned above will work, they probably aren't the "best" for the 243 and 100gr pills. I have used IMR4320, which is similar to the ones already mentioned, but if you want very good accuracy and performance, slow down with IMR4350, H4831SC or another powder in that burn rate.

If you'd like to put together some reduced recoil loads for your son to get used to his new rifle, but still harvest deer very cleanly, look at H4895 under an 85gr Partition.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    My older 1980s Savage has always shot best with IMR 4350. It's a very accurate rifle with 100 gr. bullets and 40ish grains of this powder.

By the way, i recently picked up a T/C Compass in .308 and I like it a lot.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I am using H4895 with 58 gr V Max for coyotes and 100 gr BTSP for deer. I don’t remember my charges but both work great for me. My coyote gun is an old 788 and my deer rifle is a 783.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    I load mine with RL17. I shoot 80g bullets mostly tho. I actually picked up some cheap priced 55g to plink with at the shooting range as peeps like to shoot my easy recoiling deer gun, and those 80g barnes bullets aint exactly cheap!

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I think I will pick up some of these I do not have at the moment & do some tinkering. I had really good results with imr 4064 using cheap Wolf 55gr fmjbt in my Savage bolt gun. Probably will buy some other projectiles as well to experiment with. I like the idea of starting him off with some softer recoil.

I bought a TC Compass in .308 as well, couldn't help myself. I haven't shot any of my new purchases.

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    like the compass rifle, using hodgdons Superperformence powder to get an 85 gr. barns going 3200. hav'nt got to try much of anything else. but that makes a good deer load.

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    I think I will pick up some of these I do not have at the moment & do some tinkering. I had really good results with imr 4064 using cheap Wolf 55gr fmjbt in my Savage bolt gun. Probably will buy some other projectiles as well to experiment with. I like the idea of starting him off with some softer recoil.

I bought a TC Compass in .308 as well, couldn't help myself. I haven't shot any of my new purchases.
    you'll like the compass, garenteed 1" AT A 100Yrd and will do that with cheep off the shelf ammo. premium ammo and hand loads will do a bit better

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Chucks or yotes, 4350 and 70 gr Nosler BT.
    Five Remington bolt sporters........loved that combo.

How many grains are you loading? I started with 44 and 46gr. Poor results compared to other loads. Just loaded 5 more each in 40 and 42gr.

I settled on IMR 4350 after researching accuracy and barrel life combinations. Didn't hurt that I ran into a great deal from a fellow INGOer in the classifieds. :ingo:

I'm pretty happy with my initial results (other than the 70gr NBT's.) I am not used to being able to shoot this well. :)

AxtqOTe.jpg

r3FEGk5.jpg

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Found a box of empties w a load sticker...

Says Nosler 70gr BT.........WW brass............Full length sized AA 4350 47 grains.
    That was my fire form load (new brass).

Do remember tapping neck sized cases for max load on diff rifle.
    Whatever that was.

Accurate Arms shows max for 70 gr bullet in .243 win at 49gr. w 4350.
    I was at or just over max in prev Rem 700.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    70 gr Nosler BT.
    I don't get dust up past the chuck unless I hit one in the throat. Body shots.......50 to 350 yds.........no exit.
    Just a "black tail salute".

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009

243 WinW-WWLR/CCI200Nosler85gr PartH489530gr

Above is the load I put together for my daughter to hunt with. Mild report and recoil, dead deer at the ranges younger shooters should be attempting shots.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    As this thread shows, the number of powders available today is amazing. When I began reloading in the mid-80s the choices were much more limited.

I know that, for those who enjoy reloading, working up loads is much of the fun, but trying out all of the possibilities requires much more money than I can come up with.

Maybe Santa will bring me something new to try.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

I'm going to expand my thinking as well on powders. I keep thinking about buying more rifles but my .243 is so versatile I'm pretty sure I can try different loading combinations to fit specific needs.
    Lots of recommendations I'm noticing more and more on powders for what I'm shooting.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I load mine with RL17. I shoot 80g bullets mostly tho. I actually picked up some cheap priced 55g to plink with at the shooting range as peeps like to shoot my easy recoiling deer gun, and those 80g barnes bullets aint exactly cheap!

I also use RL17 behind Barnes 80 grain bullets. They may be a bit more expensive than conventional bullets but when you stop and consider the cost of tags, gas, and time spent, it is extremely cheap insurance.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'm going to expand my thinking as well on powders. I keep thinking about buying more rifles but my .243 is so versatile I'm pretty sure I can try different loading combinations to fit specific needs.
    Lots of recommendations I'm noticing more and more on powders for what I'm shooting.

I don't use different loads per rifle.
    Run one load per rig.
    Have one .243 win for deer, another for varmints :)
    And no, I'm not made of money.
    I drive a crappy Jeep LOL

Clarification: I didn't buy a 2nd .243 win to hunt deer. I bought it to rebarrel to .35 rem (but the regs changed so I just tried it "as is").
    Shoots good enough I might leave it.
    And find another to rebarrel...........or just buy my hunting bud's spare Rem 760 in .35 rem (yes he has two).

If my varmint rigs didn't like the 70 gr Nosler BT's I'd have tried some Hornady spirepoints.

Heck, I might buy another #1B in .243 win........in case chucks ever make a comeback. Chuck rig, yote rig, deer rig...........that'd be three.
    Of course a Contender rifle in 6x45 might be on the list. But might go .256 win. Yotes...........but maybe deer up close (if we ever get the deer pop back up to where shooting does is OK).

Last edited:

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Yesterday I took advantage of Brownells .01 hazmat, free shipping & 10% off to pick up some imr 4064, imr 4350, h4895 & another jug of Varget.

Now to finish my honeydo list & move on to setting up my reloading bench.

Top Bottom